TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Headed to Hyatt Windward Pointe --- Need Recomendations

Discussion in 'All Other Timeshare Systems' started by Sugarcubesea, May 13, 2017.

1. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, & Pinestead Reef
    Hi, We are headed to Hyatt Windward Pointe for the week of Memorial Day. We are only staying for 5 nights. It's my 18 year old daughter and I and I need some help / advice.

We fly into Miami and drive to Key West...

Is there a supermarket I should stop at prior to going to the resort?
    What are some must do's while in the area?
    What would an 18 year old enjoy doing in that area?
    Best Restaurants to Eat at?

thanks for any and all help...

2. WalnutBaron

WalnutBaron TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, HGVCx2
    1. There's a nice Publix supermarket in Marathon and also one in Key West. I'd highly recommend either one, though the one in Key West will be more crowded.
    2. Some of our favorite things to do in Key West include hiring a fishing outing. The outfitters there will have you all set up including your fishing rod, bait, and taking you to reliable fishing spots. Be sure to take Bonine if you're prone to getting seasick. I'd also recommend going to Duval Street--tons of nice shops, restaurants, and active both during the day and at night. The butterfly conservatory is also outstanding!
    3. Your daughter will probably just love the beach and the ocean, but maybe some of the above excursions will appeal to her as well.
    4. Deuce's Off The Hook Grill is a great place for wood-fired pizzas and seafood. Fun atmosphere too!

Sunshine10 likes this.
  3. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:

WalnutBaron, thank you so much for your help

4. sts1732

sts1732 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sunset Harbor Key, west
    Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
    There also a Wynn Dixie, both Publix and Wynn are on US 1(Roosevelt) as your going into town on the island. If you never had been the madness at sunset at Malory square is to be experienced. The Hemingway house is on whitehead street, along with the iconic "beginning and end" of the highway markers. Also at the southern end of whitehead is the "southern most point" buoy, there is always a line and people to help take a picture of the both of you. There is the butterfly house close by the southern most point also. If you like history, there is Ft. Zachery there is also a beach at the park, you pay to get in but it is good for all day, you can come back and see the sunset from probably the most unobstructed view standing on the island.
    Check out El peps(spelling) for authentic Cuban food try the Cuban coffee is you need a wake up, and they have live music, right at Mallory square. There is also Smatters beach just a short ways from Windward, but being on the Atlantic side some times it's has sea weed washed up on it and the trades blowing in make it cooler. You might to try Hog fish bar and grill on Stock island, great sea food, thats the last island just as you're going over the bridge to Key West. There is also Roosticas on stock, great pizza.
    There is so much to see and do you can't it all down in writing, check the front desk for some ideas. Have fun.........:cool:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Sunshine10 likes this.
  5. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    There are two Publix in Key West, stop at the second one since it has a liquor store, if you want any. They only sell beer/wine in the grocery store. Turn right at the first intersection when you arrive and follow the shoreline, can't miss them. If you shop in Marathon it might be an hour before you get to KW.

I just checked in to Beach House last night, it wasn't too busy when we went about 7pm.

It was a long slow drive down here, averaged about 40 mph, take your time. Fill up on gas in Key Largo, it was $2.35, its $2.70 here in KW. Everybody and their mother seemed to be on the road yesterday :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you for letting me know about stopping at the second Publix in Key West, since I'm going to need some liquor after driving down from Miami Airport...

Sunshine10 likes this.
  7. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Try a Key Lime Mule.
    Fill a tumbler with ice. Fill halfway with lime infused vodka. Splash of lime concentrate. Top up with Reed Extra Strong Ginger Beer. Stir and Garnish with lime and mint sprig if desired.
    [​IMG]

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  8. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:

WOW, I want this now, I just copied and printed this to take with me...this sounds so good...

9. Here There

Here There TUG Member

You and your daughter might enjoy (window)shopping for handmade fashion jewelry -- from shops located slightly off the beaten path which pique the interest of myself and much younger companions.

I generally travel for the food. And in KW there are so many places that serve fresh seafood -- that I used 2 themes to guide me through tough daily choices: 1) happy hour specials and 2) searching for the "perfect" crabcakes. I may have found the latter at Pinchers -- while sitting on the balcony surveying the action on the main drag...and for the former at several harbour-view establishments (eg Commodores) while soaking up a different type of ambiance.

Have fun!

10. Kal

Kal TUG Member

If you really want some excellent seafood, go to the Eaton Street Fish Market https://kwseafood.com/. They have all kinds of very fresh fish, much of which is supplied by local divers. I ALWAYS get:
    Key West Pinks (shrimp)
    Royal Reds (shrimp that taste like lobster)
    Snow Grouper
    African Pompano (extremely hard to get)

They're very easy to cook in your unit and compared to local eateries, it's half the price. For the Royal Reds, you can only get those at just one restaurant (at a price).

11. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    We discovered a nice small botanical garden yesterday, free admission. Its in a civil war era fort that was never finished. Right next to the dog beach at the end of White St, free parking at the beach next door.

http://www.keywestgardenclub.com/

Cuban for lunch nearby on Catherine St, El Siboney.

http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/

The young folks I've seen are enjoying the water activities, paddleboard, canoe, and jetski. Danger sailboat has a nice whole say sail including canoe and snorkel, we are doing the sunset wine tasting tonight. If you book through the Hyatt concierge there is a 10% discount.

https://www.dangercharters.com/

12. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    We had lunch there today, great tip, thanks. I had the Pompano on a sandwich and bought a pound of the Royal Reds. I'm getting ready to cook them up for dinner, yum.

13. Kal

Kal TUG Member

MAJOR ENVY. Pompano is hard to get. When I'm in KW, I arrange with the owner to call me as soon as he receives a supply from the divers. He holds it until I come in. You are so fortunate that he had some in the shop. The royal reds are obtained from extremely deep waters, so it takes special gear to collect them.

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:13 PM
  14. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We went to Key West during a cruise stop. We went to the Little White House ( Harry Truman) if you enjoy history this is a nice tour.
    Silentg

15. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We enjoyed little White House, Hemingway house, kayaking, sunset sail, fishing, fort zachary Taylor, duval street, Mallory square, and always wanted to take the trip to the dry tortugas

16. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks for this information. I like the sailing idea

17. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I love Jewelery I'm going to have to find these off the beaten path stores. Thank you

18. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I'm so stopping at this fish market

Sunshine10 likes this.
  19. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If my Sister in Law is going to stay in this condo after we depart on Thursday and she will check out on Saturday, will I have any issue with her being there, should I add her name to my II reservation as a guest?

20. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I think you can add her name when you check in, tell them she is arriving later. They asked me for all guest names when I checked in at Beach House, you can give up to the unit occupancy (6).

She will be on your credit card for room charges, you might ask if they can close it out when you leave and put her card number in. It might be best if you were there though, how will you get the keycards to her?

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    Sugarcubesea likes this.
  21. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    She just retired to Islamorada, FL and she will be coming down on Tuesday to do some stuff with us and I was going to give her the key then...I'm ok with the CC being in my name as I'm confident she will not charge anything to the room...thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure she would not have a problem staying there after I left...

22. Kal

Kal TUG Member

Pay any charges on your account when you leave, but do not close out the account. If you do, that's the end of the stay and she will be homeless.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  23. Suzy

Suzy TUG Member

You might like the Old Town Trolley Tour. It stops close to Windward Point at the Best Western and at the East Martello Fort, both within walking distance. There's a Benihana Restaurant next door to Windward Point also.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  24. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    How can I pay off the charges and not close out the account. Once I pay the charges wouldn't they automatically close the account?

25. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you for that tip...