• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii Revealed Books

RSchwartz

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We never visit our favorite Hawaiian Island without taking with us the Revealed series of books for that particular island. As we have been visiting Hawaii for more than 30 years, on occasion we like to see if there is an update edition that might benefit our travel experience. We now have two different updated books for the major islands.

My question is.......For those of you who also rely on these guide books, how often do you update an island's guidebook? When an updated/revised version comes out in print or do you hold on and use them for several years knowing that most information does not change?

One good thing about having more than one series for each island is that I can let my friends use an older edition if and when they travel to Hawaii and they find it extremely useful.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is.......For those of you who also rely on these guide books, how often do you update an island's guidebook? When an updated/revised version comes out in print or do you hold on and use them for several years knowing that most information does not change?

One good thing about having more than one series for each island is that I can let my friends use an older edition if and when they travel to Hawaii and they find it extremely useful.

We will usually get the new one(s) when published, and then loan the older one to friends. Sometimes the older one comes back, and sometimes it doesn't. Since have the new one it is all good. We then go through the book and see if we can find what is changed, and we still find new places to go and see.

We don't rush out to buy it, but copies have made it into Christmas stockings or appear on "Buy Your Wife a Present Day" with the latter being the best fun gift day in our family - for me anyway. :D

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We found huge quantities of the Maui Revealed book at the Costco on Maui when we were there last month, fyi.

chester1122

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui Revealed books

We too use the books every time we go. We own a vacation rental on the Big Island so leave one out for guests.

We also try to do one new thing out of the book each time we go to expand our knowledge and recommendations for our friends and people who stay with us.

One thing to note, sometimes access to hiking trails change due to changes in ownership/access. So we make sure we have the most current version so we don't find ourselves in an uncomfortable situation.

Our latest purchase is a Trail Blazer guide book for Maui - to add a different perspective to our Maui Revealed book to use on our upcoming January trip.

Enjoy your time there.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
You should consider getting the app - it's cheaper $5.99, more versatile as everything is linked for you with an interactive map and its updated for free :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You should consider getting the app - it's cheaper $5.99, more versatile as everything is linked for you with an interactive map and its updated for free :)

But the App isn't interactive for all the islands, last I knew. I think it only worked for one or two islands.

Correction: Just checked the Wizard Publications website. Seems the App is now available for the four main islands. Cool! :)

But I think having the paper copy with you is better because you can flip back and forth between maps and pages much more easily. I used the Kauai App on island last June, and it was great to see "What's nearby me right now?" kinds of things. Made the App very handy. But when talking about it with fellow travelers, having the book in hand was much easier.

And one thing I like doing is taking my previously-purchased copy on the plane with me, then buying the newer version (if available) at Costco on-island during the first shop. If I end up with a newer version, I'll pass the older version along to another traveler, or give it to the Front Desk at the timeshare, for their lending library.

Dave

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But the App isn't interactive for all the islands, last I knew. I think it only worked for one or two islands.

Correction: Just checked the Wizard Publications website. Seems the App is now available for the four main islands. Cool! :)

But I think having the paper copy with you is better because you can flip back and forth between maps and pages much more easily. I used the Kauai App on island last June, and it was great to see "What's nearby me right now?" kinds of things. Made the App very handy. But when talking about it with fellow travelers, having the book in hand was much easier.

And one thing I like doing is taking my previously-purchased copy on the plane with me, then buying the newer version (if available) at Costco on-island during the first shop. If I end up with a newer version, I'll pass the older version along to another traveler, or give it to the Front Desk at the timeshare, for their lending library.

Dave

I don't see how having the paper copy is better or easier. Everyone and their dogs have iPads iPhones iTouchs anyways and usually glued to them like an appendage. You don't have to carry anything else around nor spend another $17 to update it. Why flip page after page when you can click on a spot and have everything there ? I love using the map as I can zoom in and use it help navigate as well.

After using the books and the app, I could never waste my time or money buying a paper copy. The app is just fantastic!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't see how having the paper copy is better or easier. Everyone and their dogs have iPads iPhones iTouchs anyways and usually glued to them like an appendage. You don't have to carry anything else around nor spend another $17 to update it. Why flip page after page when you can click on a spot and have everything there ? I love using the map as I can zoom in and use it help navigate as well.

After using the books and the app, I could never waste my time or money buying a paper copy. The app is just fantastic!

If that method works better for you, that's great. And I agree the App is convenient, if you're able to maximize the use of it. I often travel with people who DON'T own fancy phones, and it's a hassle trying to pass around my phone for someone else to look at, or to have to teach them how to zoom in on images and such.

With the App, if you already know what you want to do, it's great. But if you have no clue, like my sister in law who was on Kauai with us last Summer, (and who has a pay-by-the-minute phone for emergencies only), having the book in hand was much better. If it's a place I've never been to, and I need to get a feel for relative distances and such, the paper copy is easier to work with. After I'm familiar with things, then yes, for me, the App would be simpler to use.

And BTW, I only spend about $10 buying the books at Costco. I'd never spend $17 for a new edition of a book I already own unless it was very different. :)

Dave

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my Revealed apps for iphone. They update regularly, are easy to use, and have an index that is very user-friendly.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Use the internet now

I uue the internet more now. I used to always buy guide books. I like Frommer's. Howeer, I don't buy the books anymore. Anything that can be updated I look online for them and they are free. I print up anything that I feel would be good to keep.

RSchwartz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions

We leave in four months for Maui and the decision has been made to take my latest Revealed book and to purchase the app for my I-Pad. Thanks for all the comments. Going to try the drive again around the West end mountains and hope to avoid any oncoming traffic.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

Your assumption that everyone has an iWhatever is wrong. I, along with lots of other people, have an android phone. Even if I had the app, I still find a book easier to use for a lot of things.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your assumption that everyone has an iWhatever is wrong. I, along with lots of other people, have an android phone. Even if I had the app, I still find a book easier to use for a lot of things.

Not everyone, but just about everyone I know has one of the three. If you're not one of those, congrats to you. There is a reason the decided to release it as an Apple App, that they would make money as there are enough people to make it worth their while.

Not sure how you can say it would be easier with the book when you haven't tried the app side by side. Much the same reason they have iBook and Kindles, that is the wave....