• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii , Newport Coast or ???

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for some very general holiday advice.

We have for various reasons ended up as the proud 'owners' of an encore package expiring in September 2017.

We can use this for effectively anywhere within the MVC US (+STVI, Aruba) portfolio.

We've stayed in MFC previously, have limited interest in any of the east coast properties or Florida over the summer, and will on this occasion only be travelling as a couple with 2 y.o. toddler.

To my mind that leaves NCV or the various HI properties. Maui doesn't have availability on dates that work for us but all of the others do.

So I guess my question is as follows.

Should we pick 4 nights in a hotel room/efficiency at any of the Hawaiian islands (and if so which property?) to add to our scheduled upcoming week stay in KBC and use our encore that way?

Or should we instead go for a 4-night stay in a 2-bedroom in NCV during July or August ?

We're coming from Europe, but while airfare is a factor in having a second trip it's not too important as I would probably be passing through LAX sometime over the summer anyway so this would just be adding a couple of days stopover.

I have heard that NCV is a lovely property and worth a visit, and while I am quite worried that we will be underwhelmed in HI after having visited places like French Polynesia I certainly think we should still at least visit Hawaii and get it ticked off the list, and perhaps adding 4 nights on would allow us to experience a second island, if that is not trying to squeeze too much into a single trip :)

Or is there anywhere else in the marriott portfolio that we should be sure not to miss between May and September? - nothing springs out at me but I'd be very interested in feedback.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'm biased since I live near NCV, so many things to do in the LA area.

You already have a week on Maui, so if you decide to do another island, Oahu-Ko Olina is a good choice. You could even add on another night at the Disney Aulani in a studio to get access to that property. There are some direct flights to Maui but many stopover in Honolulu Oahu anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newport Coast is a lovely resort, in a spectacular Southern California setting. The resort is close to so many great places, including Disneyland. If you could use this package at a new Pulse resort, San Diego would be worth considering. The resort on Oahu, Ko 'Olina, is very nice, too. Very spacious.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never even considered the Pulse options but now that you mention it, since the Big Island property on HI is included perhaps the pulse properties are included too? - I must check as any of SAN, BOS, NYC, MIA or WAS would actually be ideal for us for a 4-night minibreak.

[edited to add]

So I called and despite them not being listed on my encore package, pulse properties ARE included on the encore availability option list for me.

San diego, no high season, 1 bedroom.
Miami - Jan-Apr high season (+$700) hotel room
NYC - Apr-Oct(!) high season ($+700) hotel room
Washington - no high season - hotel room.

Thought I'd post this in case that information is useful to anyone else.

Last edited:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Encore package includes Hawaii? The only reason I ask is when we were offered one it was either CONUS or Hawaii, each with different number of days and rewards. Just would be sure. :)

Yes, 4 nights/5 days in a hotel room on any of the 4 islands. I was offered when I called before a free upgrade to a 1 bedroom at many of the HI properties during certain date periods but as of that week this no longer seems to be on offer.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are owners at NCV that can't get reservation during July and Aug because there are so many people wanting to go there.

If you can get into NCV during that time GO FOR IT.