• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have any Royal owners heard AI rumours for renters and exchangers? [merged]

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I really need to explain the differences between a family oriented resort and AI's?? Really?? OK, how's this: all you can drink alchohol leads to excessive drinking by many adults. FACT. Several weeks ago there was a party of 30 something 'adults' at teh RH whose routine was to get drunk and proceed to see how loud, obnoxious and how much vulgarity could be spewed per eveing. Positioned next door to retirees with grandchalidren, this didn't make for a happy vacation for the family. How many more expamples would you like me to provide? I could fill seveal pages, but frankly don't have the time, nor desire to spell out the obvious for some.

Thank you for that but it raises the obvious question - if that's what's happening now under a non-AI regime, how will going to AI change the possibility of that happening again?

Which section of your membership contract is it that's being abrogated by the proposed optional AI? . That's simple, there isn't one.

Right.

My purchases were based on faith and prior satisfactory expereinces with the Royal Resorts. The faith part should be easy for you to grasp, given your reference to "sacred trust". No?

It is easy to grasp even for a simpleton such as myself, yet I don't see a guarantee for my personal version of a desired experience in my contract.

And, I never suggested that I proceeded to order for 3 persons, you're reading into my post what isn't there. [/B]

"$26 for a dinner 'special' leaves me cold. No thanks. Three people and a tip, that comes to $90"

I misinterpreted your statement, I apologize sincerely.

Now, tell me a bit about yourself?

We own RR weeks at TRC, RH and RM.

Last edited:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just have to wait and see what the vote is going to be in reference to.

Wait, what ??? .. isn't it more fun debating and venting our spleens on the merits of rumors and what might be?

Camilo Olea

Reaction score
Updated Customized Vacation Packages FAQ

Dear Royal Resorts Members and Guests:

We've listened carefully to your feedback about our new Customized Vacation Packages; as a result, we have updated our FAQ covering all the major concerns we saw in your comments.

Please visit:

http://www.royalresorts.com/packages/

Should you still have any questions or concerns, we remain at your service and will be happy to update this document as needed.

Best regards from your home in paradise.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very sad to see that this will apply to exchangers...I fell in love with the Royals last May, but unless the AI package is *much more* reasonable priced than others in Mexico, it will not be worth it to exchange any more.

Private rentals will be the way to go, it appears, based on the revised FAQs...

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I watch Royal resales and after noticing increasing prices over the last year, I saw one on Ebay (RC) that didn't get a bid (opening bid $2,997-residual over $ 7,500). I'm happy that I bailed out of Royal ownership when I did (before prices dropped).

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a Royal sands over 2k right now with 3 days to go...
It will probably go for 4k or better..

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...Post 178 presumably from a representative of The Royals is interesting. Hola! :hi:

Re drunks with or without AI.....some get obnoxious, some not. The post above about the obnoxious group of drunk adults in the proximity of kids upsets me. Did you call security? Did you ask them to tone it down please?

On the few occasions I've seen obnoxious drunks at The Royals, I've done both, always with good success.

A few years ago there was a group of college-age guys on their second or third floor terrace, happily guzzling beer and loudly and liberally using F* and similar words. I walked under their terrace, called "Hi" with a big smile, they yelled "Hi" back, and I said, "Hey, could you please cool the language, there're a lot of kids here!" while I waved around the area to indicate the kids. They apologized and immediately toned it down. Now that might not always work.....but it's certainly worth a try.

I just mentioned the proposed/new AI to my 22 y/o DS. He said "what's that?" and I said "All Inclusive." His eyes lit up :)( ) and he said "well, they'll sure get a lot of college students!"

So.....if indeed this happens, they'd better plan on a lot more security, and on limits that will be enforced.

jasm

Reaction score
All you can drink for guests - especially when they have no particular loyalty to or pride of ownership in the resort is going to definitely alter the atmosphere to the detriment of everyone. It's of no comfort to be told that security will take care of any issues. The fact that there will be issues in the first place, that other guests and members will have to be disturbed and call security to deal with rowdies is already a change for the worse.

Why would I expect security, who can't even effectively deal with pool chair hogs, to efficiently deal with drunk and disorderly guests?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
All you can drink for guests - especially when they have no particular loyalty to or pride of ownership in the resort is going to definitely alter the atmosphere to the detriment of everyone. It's of no comfort to be told that security will take care of any issues. The fact that there will be issues in the first place, that other guests and members will have to be disturbed and call security to deal with rowdies is already a change for the worse.

Why would I expect security, who can't even effectively deal with pool chair hogs, to efficiently deal with drunk and disorderly guests?

Very good points, and I agree 100%. Witnessing how many abandon their drink cups and refuse around the resort, expecting someone else to pick up after them sickens me. And this was in years past - now with the implementation of AI... :eek:

It's a very simple fact that some struggle with or get very defensive about, but sorry, it's still a fact: a significant percentage of renters just don't give a damn. They're transients, they know it, and have zero vested interest in the Resort. Many treat it with disrespect, and I just witnessed it again first hand several weeks ago. Now before someone flames me for writing that simple fact, go back and re-read this : significant percentage I didn't write all.

Members, if you weren't happy with the steady increases of your MF's, just wait. You & I will be footing the bill to replace sofas; bedding, furniture and other items that will be ruined through misuse. Also simple fact. I did not sign up for this. :mad:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would think that while selfish and inconsiderate, pool chair hogs don't normally present a danger to others or themselves ... drunks sometimes do.

kochmar1

TUG Member
Reaction score
members paying for damages

Very good points, and I agree 100%. Witnessing how many abandon their drink cups and refuse around the resort, expecting someone else to pick up after them sickens me. And this was in years past - now with the implementation of AI... :eek:

It's a very simple fact that some struggle with or get very defensive about, but sorry, it's still a fact: a significant percentage of renters just don't give a damn. They're transients, they know it, and have zero vested interest in the Resort. Many treat it with disrespect, and I just witnessed it again first hand several weeks ago. Now before someone flames me for writing that simple fact, go back and re-read this : significant percentage I didn't write all.

Members, if you weren't happy with the steady increases of your MF's, just wait. You & I will be footing the bill to replace sofas; bedding, furniture and
other items that will be ruined through misuse. Also simple fact. I did not sign up for this. :mad:

When people come in from II and RCI they have to leave a credit card deposit for damages! I think they will be getting charged from now on! You have to inspect your unit when you arrive and any damages will be put on your credit cards! Hopefully this will be upheld!!!!!

jasm

Reaction score
Who gets the additional revenue from this new program?? Does it go to the management or does it go to reducing MF's??

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
Who gets the additional revenue from this new program?? Does it go to the management or does it go to reducing MF's??

My understanding is that food and beverage is operated independently of villa/resort operations. Those revenues or expenses do not show up on the financial reports of the resort expenses for operations and maintenance.

Mike

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

Direct costs, food, beverage, staff.....and after that? Good question. They said it wouldn't make our MFs go up, so I'd assume it also wouldn't make them go down.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Direct costs, food, beverage, staff.....and after that? Good question. They said it wouldn't make our MFs go up, so I'd assume it also wouldn't make them go down.

AI transient borrachos trashing sofas, furniture and other resort goods will cause our MF's to go up. Count on it.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
AI transient borrachos trashing sofas, furniture and other resort goods will cause our MF's to go up. Count on it.
Wouldn't any guests staying in the timeshares be considered "transient." Why would someone paying AI fees be more likely to trash the place than someone who was not paying AI fees? I don't get the correlation between AI and increased damage to furnishings.

Tfish

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think that unlimited free booze might result in more disturbance, damages, noise etc by the participants?

I don't believe that the atmosphere that we currently enjoy at the Royals will remain with the advent of AI.

Wait and see I guess but I do have my concerns.

Mike

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think that unlimited free booze might result in more disturbance, damages, noise etc by the participants?

I don't believe that the atmosphere that we currently enjoy at the Royals will remain with the advent of AI.

Wait and see I guess but I do have my concerns.

Mike

To be fair, some people do act out when they are drinking...but even at my young age, i know that ALOT of people act out even when they don't drink...

I still go out to the local bars and my daughters mother is a bartender, so i have some experience with drunks....There are different types of heavy drinkers, i like to think of drinking as something that makes you more of what you already are and strengthens the feelings you are currently having...i'm a very happy drunk i tend to get alot of high fives and dance when i never would or talk way waay too much about nothing...When people are on vacation, they're happy and having a good time, a person who's happy and having a good time isn't going to be destructive...they maybe a little obnoxious, but not dangerous

But what do i know, i finished 2 margaritas with dinner and am now on my 4th beer

troysers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woudn't the primary benefit (but not necessarily only benefit) of the introduction of AI to non-members to members be a reduction in maintenance fees from all of the AI revenue, but from FAQ it states

"24. How will my Annual Maintenance Fees (aka Club Service Fees) be impacted by the All-Inclusive program?
Your annual Club Service Fee will not be affected in any way."

So since the maintenance fee will not be impacted (up or down) who profits from all the AI revenue?

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woudn't the primary benefit (but not necessarily only benefit) of the introduction of AI to non-members to members be a reduction in maintenance fees from all of the AI revenue, but from FAQ it states

"24. How will my Annual Maintenance Fees (aka Club Service Fees) be impacted by the All-Inclusive program?
Your annual Club Service Fee will not be affected in any way."

So since the maintenance fee will not be impacted (up or down) who profits from all the AI revenue?

My understanding is that food and beverage is operated independently of villa/resort operations. Those revenues or expenses do not show up on the financial reports of the resort expenses for operations and maintenance.

Mike

Mike is probably right here. If tours, massages, and so forth are part of various packages, those specific budget lines or subsidiary companies would benefit from the extra revenue.

Rental revenue from units not directly rented by members would go to management that presumably owns the intervals being rented. Do they pay the equivalent of the MF on those units? Might the rental revenue then go to that?

That brings up the questions of exchanged units, which are owned by various members, and units that members put into the Royals' rental program, where in each case the MF has been paid. IF the difference between mandatory and optional AI boils down to whether individual owners have paid the MF, (rather than whose name is on the reservation), then shouldn't those units be exempt?

Last edited:

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
That brings up the questions of exchanged units, which are owned by various members, and units that members put into the Royals' rental program, where in each case the MF has been paid. IF the difference between mandatory and optional AI boils down to whether individual owners have paid the MF, (rather than whose name is on the reservation), then shouldn't those units be exempt?

PJ, my hunch is that this is not something that they will take in to account. To me it's all about driving more revenue per unit per week (and more profit). Hard to do that when food/beverage and other profit center prices are maxed out and the occupancy rate overall is likely to be down.

In any event, we are in for an interesting ride.

Mike

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ, my hunch is that this is not something that they will take in to account. To me it's all about driving more revenue per unit per week (and more profit). Hard to do that when food/beverage and other profit center prices are maxed out and the occupancy rate overall is likely to be down.

In any event, we are in for an interesting ride.

Mike

Yes, I agree.

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why timeshare owners would want to rent when we have already paid for the week with our maintenance fee. I would think they would just find a new destination. Cabo sounds nice and most places give you the option of AI. I did a check on Royal inventory on II with a Marriott GO bronze week.
Tons of weeks at all Royals. How do you find out when the tri's converrt to AI. I just can't see how this is good for owners. I am really bummed we really enjoyed our week at the Islander. The vibe was great good luck when people start drinking at 10AM.