• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone heard of Property Management 21 [merged]

netherland

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or, better yet, had any experience with Property Management 21 out of Alabama? TIA

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Did they contact you unsolicited? What are they "offering" to do for you?

Their website says nothing about timeshares but I do see one of their services has to do with advertising your property. The website was created January 2011.

netherland

Reaction score
Unsolicited phone call offering me a price higher than I paid although I have tried to rent through a couple agencies in the recent past. I suspect a scam. Just wondering if anyone else has had contact with them. Don't really understand how scams can stay in business for 18 months if they have a website since Jan 2011 though.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If it sounds too good to be true...

...it just might be a scam.

Red flags already with you being called by them with an unrealistic offer.

Virtually no web presence for property management 21. Google the address and all it shows is a Johnny's Hot Dogs at that address. The phone number is a voice over Internet number so they could be calling from anywhere.

I did come across something odd. There are three "complaints" (found by searching the company) by people who mention property management 21. Minor things like a raccoon in a cabin managed by the company, cockroaches and someone complaining about the fact that the phones are outsourced to India. There is a link with all of these people. All have just 1 or 2 posts. Two make comments to the third's "cockroach" complaint. And, the most suspect is that by clicking the user name of each they ALL show their location as MEXICO.

Could it be that these posts, even as minor complaints, are just to get the name of property management 21 out there on the web to make them appear legit? Could they actually be operating their "business" from Mexico using their voice over Internet number (that has the Birmingham area code to make it seem like they are actually in AL)? Finally, just how good are Johnny's Hot Dogs?

netherland

Reaction score
This seems like that scam where they pay you above what you paid for your timeshare and then you send them a cheque for 7% after their cheque clears. Supposedly, later on, their cheque bounces. What I do not understand is if your bank clears their cheque and pays you the money, THEN their cheque bounces, why would you have to pay the bank back? They screwed up. They are supposed to check to see if there are sufficient funds in the senders account. Have you heard of this before?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you read on deposit slip, info in bank lobby and your checking account agreement all say contingent on final collection.

Sometimes bank will call and verify, but account can be cleaned out before check arrives.

Hopefully bank for your protection will put a 15, 20 day what ever hold on funds availability.

Of course, if you have overdraft protection your check may clear anyway.

The scammers know how to manipulate routing codes on bottom of check to insure they will float around for awhile. If on a foreign bank can take a month to bounce!:crash:

horsin

Reaction score
We have been contacted by Property Management 21 about selling our timeshare also. They said they had an international buyer who was buying up timeshare properties at Wyndham Bonnet Creek... we went as far as having an agreement sent to us. It all looked pretty legit but after reading these forums we decided to do some more investigating. The agent's name was David Miller but oddly, when I talk to him on the phone he had a hispanic accent... and honestly did not come across as very professional although the paperwork looked impressive..even using a title company based in Milwaukee, WI. My husband and I have decided to let them know that we would be happy to meet him in Alabama, sign paperwork, and collect cash only for the sale of the time share. We'll see what happens and let you know... my guess is a quick exit from them....or a great lunch at the hot dog place!! Lol...

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This seems like that scam where they pay you above what you paid for your timeshare and then you send them a cheque for 7% after their cheque clears. Supposedly, later on, their cheque bounces. What I do not understand is if your bank clears their cheque and pays you the money, THEN their cheque bounces, why would you have to pay the bank back? They screwed up. They are supposed to check to see if there are sufficient funds in the senders account. Have you heard of this before?
In the US there are rules about how long a bank can hold a check before releasing funds. That time frame is less then the time needed for many international checks to clear. So when the bank releases the money they reserve the right to charge the bank account in case the check subsequently bounces. I suspect similar provisions exist in Canada.

So it's not that they screwed up. It's that they are forced to release the funds before they know whether the check is good or bad.

Many scammers construct their scam around this aspect. They want the victim to think their phony check is good because the bank releases the funds from the check to the victim. They then have the victim transfer some of the money from the phony check back to them a cohort working with them in some non-traceable fashion and instant payment method (such as a Western Union money transfer). The scammer then walks away with the money that was transferred, with the victim left on the hook when their original phony check does finally get returned to the victims bank.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been contacted by Property Management 21 about selling our timeshare also. They said they had an international buyer who was buying up timeshare properties at Wyndham Bonnet Creek... we went as far as having an agreement sent to us. It all looked pretty legit but after reading these forums we decided to do some more investigating. The agent's name was David Miller but oddly, when I talk to him on the phone he had a hispanic accent... and honestly did not come across as very professional although the paperwork looked impressive..even using a title company based in Milwaukee, WI. My husband and I have decided to let them know that we would be happy to meet him in Alabama, sign paperwork, and collect cash only for the sale of the time share. We'll see what happens and let you know... my guess is a quick exit from them....or a great lunch at the hot dog place!! Lol...

Good for you for taking a few minutes to think things through before blindly throwing your cash at these crooks. It just takes a few minutes to analyze what they're saying to realize that this must be a scam.

The reason why so many people get burned by these scammers is because they're eyes and ears light up when they hear how much money they're allegedly going to receive just for simply giving a telemarketer whom they never heard of $952 (or whatever they said they needed for some bogus fee/tax).

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Good for you for taking a few minutes to think things through before blindly throwing your cash at these crooks. It just takes a few minutes to analyze what they're saying to realize that this must be a scam.

The reason why so many people get burned by these scammers is because they're eyes and ears light up when they hear how much money they're allegedly going to receive just for simply giving a telemarketer whom they never heard of $952 (or whatever they said they needed for some bogus fee/tax).

These scams would never work if people would just stop to think that, hey, why don't they just take their fees from the proceeds of the sale like happens when you sell your house.

Stay alert out there everyone.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
These scams would never work if people would just stop to think that, hey, why don't they just take their fees from the proceeds of the sale like happens when you sell your house....

...or...

How can they easily sell it for twice what I paid when the developer needed 2 hours of my time putting me through the wringers and a welcoming gift a bribe sorta)?

or...Why don't they just buy it from me for what I paid and then turn around and sell it to these alleged buyer for twice that, thus making a profit in the thousands of dollars rather than a "piddly" $952?

or...Why do they need my credit card number now before they send me the contract?

or...Why are they asking me to wire them money? etc.

netherland

Reaction score
Hello All,

All excellent advice and comments. Definitely seems too good to be true. I will be interested to what happens to horsin!

They were supposed to call me this past week and did not. I did not send back their contract. They wanted a copy of my ownership deed. Not too interested in giving them that. One way you could play this is to accept their deal, wait for their cheque to clear and then wait even longer and longer until your bank tells you that it is past any date that the bank can rescind the money. If it actually does clear, then you can send the company their 7%. The interesting thing at this point in their conversation has been no upfront money and no money to them until their cheque actually clears. It would take some cajones to do it but if one had the time and interest, it would be interesting!!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Offer them 14 % if they take it out of the proceeds = step back and listen to the excuses, why they can't double their profit

netherland

Reaction score
Okay, I emailed them asking they why they have selected my unit when they can buy for $1 off Ebay and if they will take their commission out of the sale. It has been almost a week. I have not heard back. What a surprise!

atruax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requesting assistance with resale [Property Management 21]

Property Management 21 out of Birmingham AL has offered to purchase my timeshare in Orlando. They claim to have a corporate buyer in place. They do not charge upfront fees but do collect a 7% commission after closing. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this outfit?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The "Corporate buyer" is an extremely well known ruse to get you to pay them (they may not call it an upfront fee but rest assured you will be asked for a substantial sum for "closing", "taxes", "transfer" or some other trumped up "cost" prior to you getting any money). And of course then the sale will "fall through", they have your money and you have your timeshare.

Far better to sell it yourself or give it away. Realize that very few timeshares have much if any resale value today. In any case DO NOT deal with these people unless you are ready to lose whatever money they talk you out of.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
These telephone solicitors are getting trickier - now the fee comes later in the transaction, after they have you hooked, but they will get their money, before you get your's - and you will never get your's.

Here are some warnings signs with these kinds of companies:

1) Did you get an unsolicited sales call or mailing or email from them?

2) Do they say that they already have a renter/buyer for your timeshare? (Or an established market like people attending conventions.)

3) Do they claim that they can get your money back from another scammer?

4) Do they want you to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for a title search, or transfer fees, or taxes, or a closing fee, or appraisal, or ANY large fee, UPFRONT?

5) Are they offering to rent/sell it for far more than the market value?

6) Do they want you to pay a large up front fee that supposedly you will get back?

7) Do they want your credit card number over the phone?​

If you answer yes to any of these questions, then this is the usual scenario:

Once you pay the fee and receive the contract, you discover that the company has only promised to advertise your resort, not to rent/sell it, and they don't mention having a renter/buyer in the contract.

Then, you won't hear anything from them for a long time, and when you contact them, they will tell you that the renter/buyer backed out, but they will advertise your timeshare on their over-priced website.

Finally, when you try to get your money back, they will point out that you signed a contract, and it's only for advertising.

When you try to challenge it with your credit card company, they will tell you that you only had 60 days to dispute the charge, and that it's too late to do anything.​

This is a bitter pill to swallow, but right now, most timeshares are selling for 0-20% of the original retail price. It's not a good time to sell a timeshare.

To see what your timeshare is really worth on the current resale market:

1) Register with ebay
2) Sign in
3) Search for your resort by exact name
4) From the menu on the left click "completed listings"
5) The next page will show you current selling prices

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)​

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. I'm glad you found us before you sent any money.

This is a well known scam.

It does not matter what the name of the company is - they change their names constantly.

No company "has a buyer waiting" to buy your timeshare.
Please read our Sticky:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44

You can give attempt to sell it yourself on eBay or Craigslist. You can also give it away right here in our Bargain Deals topic.

Please be aware that many/most timeshares today have no "resale" value. You will have to list it for $1 and pay (at least) next year's maintenance dues to get someone to take it.

This one sold:
http://tinyurl.com/cxr6dof
But the vast majority are not selling:
http://tinyurl.com/bvdvalc
http://tinyurl.com/cn9qk34

Last edited:

AlabamaREC

Reaction score
Property Management 21 doesn't have an Alabama timeshare sellers license or a real estate license.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Parasites calling on line two"...

I got a call just today myself from the "helpful" folks at "Property Management 21".

Certainly no hint of southern accent by the caller, who made reference to having a buyer for a specific facility where I have never owned (in fact, have never heard of before). Our conversation was accordingly very brief; at its' conclusion I hope we mutually understood that future calls would be both entirely unwelcome and promptly reported as a formal complaint to the FTC "do not call" site (...yes, I know, that's likely just a futile and pointless exercise, particularly if the incoming number is just "spoofed" to begin with).

I wish I knew where these parasites get my unlisted, unpublished home phone number. I've never attended a timeshare presentation in my life, have never filled out a "win a free vacation" (a.k.a. "lead generator") form. Phone numbers (listed or otherwise) are not reflected in deeds, so the "public records" explanation which is so frequently and lamely offered by these parasites when questioned is just pure, unadulterated bull$@^&.

Rogue RCI employees remain my primary suspect, but the evidence is purely circumstantial...:shrug: :confused: :shrug:

Last edited:

netherland

Reaction score
Okay, an update from my end. First, thanks for all the advice. I Emailed them and asked them why they wanted my timeshare and if they would take their fees out of the sale and send me the cheque after all was said and done. The lady's "boss" called me and said that he had an international purchaser from Mexico who had a specified amount of money to purchase 50 timesshares and wanted someone to do it for him. He told me that they had "filled their quota" for this purchaser and did not need my time share any more. But, he said they would keep me on file for the next purchaser! He also told me that they can arrange to take their fees out of the proceeds from the sale instead of me sending them a cheque.

Yes, I believe these guys are getting more and more sophisticated. Seems to me that I will not be getting any more calls from Property Management 21 after they have told me that I do not have to send money to them at all.

TSX3

Reaction score
Regarding Property Management 21

I too was talking with a David Miller. But when I called back (after returning from vacation) I was told he was no longer with the company. ODD. This was a close call for me. I was very ready to sign their contract and send it back. I decided to to show it to an attorney first and she confirmed that it is a scam. She told me to checkout TUG so here I am. Did anyone notice that the phone numbers for PM21 and for the title company in Milwaukee are the same except for the last 4 digits? So the old saying holds true.... If it seems too good to be true it probably is not true. Amen