• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harbourside Purchase 2 bedroom

ctmary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from the Atlantis and had a wonderful time. I would like to purchase a platinum 2 bedroom unit. Does it matter if I get a floating week or fixed week. Are all the 2 bedrooms lockout units? I would mostly go in April every year the same week or once in a while in the summer. What is a fair price to pay for a resale? I saw the week on ebay for a 1 bedroom for the silver. But it sounds like I couldn't trade it for a Gold or Platinum season. I've been reading the boards, I really don't understand how involved the whole points thing is. And i want to make the right choice. Also where is the best place to find resales? You also can email me direct with any help. Thank you I appreciate it. Mary ctmaryb@aol.com

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take your time

Hi Mary,

If you are willing to hang around and read the boards for awhile you will learn the ins and outs of buying resale. Don't make the mistakes I made on my first resale contracts---read, read, read and hang around for awhile, then make an informed decision. I wouldn't buy anything yet!!!
Marylyn

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Don't buy silver--not even close to trade to anything in any other season!
I have owned since 2001 and you really need to buy in the season you most want to go as otherwise you will be competing with everyone else in the Starwood system!
Phase 1 and 2 both have lockouts but Phase 2 also has regular 2 bedrooms--personally I prefer the lockout as it gives me the option to separate them if I travel with a smaller group.
As to fixed vs lockout--I guess now they charge a premium for the fixed--mine is fixed but I can also float so don't know how that is handled now--one of mine is a premium week 52--some folks think they can buy that season and go then but it is pretty much sold at a premium price so it is unlikely you can snag that which is why I bought that second week fixed.
As the other poster said use the sight--I bought both of mine developer--the first one because there weren't resales--the other couldn't find the week I wanted but there are better prices out there!

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to echo what other people have said, do make sure you do your research. I've been looking into Harbourside recently and you would be amazed at the the price differences out there on the very same thing. For example, I have seen wk 52 2 bed lock offs in phase 1 (which by the way are larger than those in phase 2) up for resale at $65k - $70k whilst I'm in the process of purchasing for $37k - the exact same week, view etc. Amazing!

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of flexibility in our travel times. We just bought our Phase 2 Platinum 2BR LO for $27k. We probably could have gotten a better deal if I had waited a little longer. If you want to travel on a certain high demand week then make sure you buy that fixed week!

ctmary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to buy a Vistana week and use it to trade into Harbourview? Can you save 2 years of points or more, do they expire? The matt fee is very high when you figure out the matt fee and what you pay for it is it worth it? I really love the resort.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I just returned from the Atlantis and had a wonderful time. I would like to purchase a platinum 2 bedroom unit. Does it matter if I get a floating week or fixed week. Are all the 2 bedrooms lockout units? I would mostly go in April every year the same week or once in a while in the summer. What is a fair price to pay for a resale? I saw the week on ebay for a 1 bedroom for the silver. But it sounds like I couldn't trade it for a Gold or Platinum season. I've been reading the boards, I really don't understand how involved the whole points thing is. And i want to make the right choice. Also where is the best place to find resales? You also can email me direct with any help. Thank you I appreciate it. Mary ctmaryb@aol.com

Hopefully other owners can chime in but I think summer is Gold and April would be platinum..so I think you would have to trade out of platinum into gold to go in the summer??:wall:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Another cost factor though small when compared to the MF and initial cost is the closing fees due to the requirement to use a lawyer in the bahamas. I think it can be in the $2000 range.

Maybe better off renting from a current owner?

harzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
What mistakes did you make?

What did you miss in the contract, so other resale newbies can learn. Thanks!
Hi Mary,

If you are willing to hang around and read the boards for awhile you will learn the ins and outs of buying resale. Don't make the mistakes I made on my first resale contracts---read, read, read and hang around for awhile, then make an informed decision. I wouldn't buy anything yet!!!
Marylyn