*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Grocery stores near Orange Lake River Island

Discussion in 'US - Florida Timesharing' started by DaveNW, May 10, 2009.

1. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Kauai Beach Villas
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    We check into Orange Lake River Island this coming Saturday. Are there nearby grocery stores and such? We plan to visit Orlando Costco on Sunday to stock up, but we'll need to pick up a few supplies on Saturday evening. We'll have a car. Any ideas or recommendations?

Dave

2. jesuis1837

jesuis1837 TUG Member

I'm going to Orange Lake next month so, like you BMW, i'm all ears!:D Arriving very late Saturday we will have to hit the stores sunday morning...

3. Nancy

Nancy TUG Member

Publix

There is a Publix grocery store right outside the gate closest to River Island.

Nancy

4. mrsstats

mrsstats TUG Member

In addition to the Publix, there is a super Target right across the street. Just opened in March. Prices are a few cents higher than Walmart.

5. gjw007

gjw007 TUG Member

In addition to Publix which is at the East Orange Lake Blvd and the Super Target across the highway (exiting Orange Lake using the East Orange Lake Blvd you just go straight across 192), you can head a few miles east on 192 until you get to 27, head north, turn right at the first light and you are now at Walmart. It is probably 6 or 7 miles from the resort. No as close as Publix or Super Target but it is always good to know the options.

6. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

we just returned from OL. We ended up buying at Publix, where we have shopped for years. It had a much much better selection than the new Super Target. I also would say the Publix prices were in line with our pricing here at home.

Plus you just can't beat the convenience. It's just outside the gate.:wave:

7. gjw007

gjw007 TUG Member

Publix is okay, but I find myself going to the Walmart mostly because although most grocery stores have the same items, there are different sizes sometimes found at other stores and the prices of things on sale can make a difference. It is good to have choices. I am heading to OLCC tonight and will be there tomorrow.

8. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

ooh have a great time Gary. We did.:cheer: The weather was awesome. Hot but little to no humidity. And most importantly...not a drop of rain.:banana:

I've never been in a Walmart so I can't comment on it. I had no idea that Walmart even sold groceries!:shrug:

We stayed in the North Village this time. Beautiful unit...and for some odd reason....no early morning lawn maintenance. YAY

9. ajsmithtx

ajsmithtx TUG Member

Vickie

Were the "Love Bugs" in the air?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

hey Tony! :wave:

They appeared out of the blue a couple of days before we left. So there were not lot's......YET......LOL

11. TamaraQT

TamaraQT TUG Member

OMG!!! There actually exists a person who has never been to Walmart!!!????? I thought that was virtually impossible!!! I thought EVERYONE has been to Walmart at some time or another. Wow!!!! And you didn't even know they sold groceries!!! Unbelievable!!!! I wonder how many more people are like you out there!!! I just find that so hysterical because I thought everyone went to Walmart!!!! Too funny!!!

12. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

:rofl: yeah...we are out there. No one in my family has ever gone into one...now that I'm thinking about it. I guess we don't understand the concept?:shrug:

13. ajsmithtx

ajsmithtx TUG Member

Vickie

Thanks, we will be at OLCC during the week of 29 May.

14. Jamerican71

Jamerican71 TUG Member

Are you referring to a couple OR some kind of bug? If a bug -- what kind of bugs are these?

15. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

flies....little black flies that are in the mating process. The female is larger...so she basically drags the male around at whim. The poor guy spends his time flying backwards.:hysterical:

They are thick in May. Splattered all over windshields and grills.:(

16. Jamerican71

Jamerican71 TUG Member

I did a google search and the love bugs seem kind of similar to the cicadas that came to my area (Maryland). More of a nuisance then anything else. I'm glad I'm going in June so I won't have to be bothered by them.

17. timetraveler

timetraveler TUG Member

I have never been in June...so I don't know if they are still swarming then or not.:shrug:

18. gjw007

gjw007 TUG Member

I haven't seen any of the love bugs.

I am in one of the older Golf Villas. It has not been renovated yet. Other than the bathroom being small, I've never understood why people didn't like these more. It is so nice to be able to drive up to the villas and to sit outside or walk on the grass. I miss these when I stay at River Island. It is very peaceful at the location I'm at making a very relaxing vacation.

I've been to the new SuperTarget. It's okay but I ran into a number of people who wanted to talk politics in the store (shoppers) - I thought the election was over:D. Living near the DC area, people look at you strange whenever you say hello out of the blue to somebody that you don't know whereas back home (Northern Minnesota), it was considered rude not saying hello. It was actually kind of nice to be able to strike up conversations with me that I didn't know.