• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dead at 69

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Saddened by his passing. R.I.P. Gregg

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Indeed. R.I.P.
I wasn't really a fan, but the Allman Brothers band deserves its place in rock-history.
Ramblin' Man is etched in my memory. Melissa was another good one.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Saw them LIVE in 1970 when Duane was with them....they were amazing, and I became a lifelong fan. Owned every piece of music they ever put out. Duane was the best, and produced the sweetest sounds ever emanating from a guitar, and his peers thought so too. Clapton got goose bumps when he heard Duane play, and of course they collaborated often, producing the album "Layla" by Derek & the Dominos.
Gregg was basically there for the ride, but he was good too, just not in his older brother's stratosphere.
Still, very very sad. I think I'll go eat a peach.

BTW, one of the best songs they ever did, imho, was Dreams I'll Never See
(I know this TUG thread is a tribute to Gregg, but I cannot minimize Duane's
unapproachable talent on slide guitar.)

So, especially check out Duane at these marks:
from 1:40 > 4:25

Also another fantastic song, my personal favorite but seldom played,
was Mountain Jam Live.
It's very long, best to listen to whole song to hear its continuity, but listed are amazing highlights.

from > to
1:00 > 3:35
22:30+
(stay with it)
24:07 > 25:35 (wow)
26:18 > 27:20
27:55 > 32:15

These samples explain why Clapton's jaw would drop open. At times Duane plays soft and sweet, so pure, and then he opens up and no one else can do this.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Another rocker gone too early.

Reaction score
I met him several times and herd him play about 10 times and the last time was on the Legends of Rock Cruise and I was sorta hanging out with him and his crew on the island of Turks enjoying a beach day.

I almost embarrassed myself when I first met him and thought the extremely young blond next to him (about 20 years old or so) was his grand daughter and when she told me she was his wife, I was sooooooo relieved that I did not ask if she was his granddaughter. Thus every time I saw her that week, I smiled at her and said hello and thought how close I came to stepping into some deep dog poop.

This is just one story from the Legends of Rock cruise and there are many more from many more rock stars. I met dozens and dozens of famous rockers and they were all super accessible and cool to hang with.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I met him several times and herd him play about 10 times and the last time was on the Legends of Rock Cruise and I was sorta hanging out with him and his crew on the island of Turks enjoying a beach day.

I almost embarrassed myself when I first met him and thought the extremely young blond next to him (about 20 years old or so) was his grand daughter and when she told me she was his wife, I was sooooooo relieved that I did not ask if she was his granddaughter. Thus every time I saw her that week, I smiled at her and said hello and thought how close I came to stepping into some deep dog poop.

This is just one story from the Legends of Rock cruise and there are many more from many more rock stars. I met dozens and dozens of famous rockers and they were all super accessible and cool to hang with.

Funny and so reminiscent of the time I met him at a bar in Marathon in the FL Keys. There was a hot young blonde sitting on his knee and he clearly had a buzz on. I've worked around celebs so I don't get flustered, I can shoot the s*&% with the best of them...so pretty soon we were all sharing rounds. That night he sat in with the house band there. I also saw the band live a few times...one of the great bands of a great time in rock when guitar was king. I pretty much can't stand what poses as "rock" these days...RIP Greg Allman and all the greats of *true* rock and roll!

Reactions: jme

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed. R.I.P.
I wasn't really a fan, but the Allman Brothers band deserves its place in rock-history.
Ramblin' Man is etched in my memory. Melissa was another good one.

I too was not much of a fan of the band, but Duane Allman's guitar playing was certainly something to witness.
Dickie Betts was / is no slouch on the axe either, but Duane Allman cast a very long shadow...

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Amazing rock music trivia.

Does anyone know how Duane Allman actually played his slide guitar, ie, achieved the incredible sound??
(I've known his secret since the 70s.)

Well here it is..........confirmed in writing.

He used empty little medicine bottles over his finger ....more specifically a Coricidin bottle (a popular cold & flu medicine).

Now if you get on the right show, you've got it nailed.

https://www.duaneallman.info/duaneallmansslidestyle.htm

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Amazing rock music trivia.

Does anyone know how Duane Allman actually played his slide guitar, ie, achieved the incredible sound??
(I've known his secret since the 70s.)

Well here it is..........confirmed in writing.

He used empty little medicine bottles over his finger ....more specifically a Coricidin bottle (a popular cold & flu medicine).

Now if you get on the right show, you've got it nailed.

https://www.duaneallman.info/duaneallmansslidestyle.htm
Duane should have gone on "Ive Got a Secret"...the old game show currently runs on the Buzzer cable channel. So Greg was buried in Macon and Jimmy Carter attended! My last trip thru there I visited the GA Music Hall of Fame which was great. JME have you been?