• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Solmar or Hacienda Encantada?

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help us to decide between these two resorts? We have been to Grand Solmar and loved it. We have also read good things about HE, but have never been there. HE seems as if it could be more isolated as the marina is within walking distance of Grand Solmar. Also, the pools are wonderful at Grand Solmar, but I don't know how they are at HE (We tend to spend our time at the pools - a beach is not so important to us.) We would be interested in hearing more about HE from anyone who has been there. Thanks in advance for your help.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
HE is a quieter and a little more upscale from GS in my opinion. It's 7 miles from their sister resort Marina Fiesta. There is a shuttle that runs between resorts on the hour and half hour returning. For owners and quests with owner privileges ($50 surcharge arranged by the unit owner) take the shuttle for free and have good wifi in the rooms. Guests have to pay for the shuttle and wifi.
Pools at HE are infinity and quiet like GS in phase one and family (a little noisy) in phase two behind phase one. Phase 3 is a new building but the studios are more like hotel rooms w/o mini kitchens. All one bedroom and above sized units have a large complete kitchen. Studios in phase 1 and 2 have mini kitchens.
Resort food is very good and is over priced just like GS. HE service and hospitality is superior to GS. Whale watching is good in season at HE as you are above the water on a cliff but still close to the water but no beach. Both are nice resorts but my wife prefers HE for the hospitality and attitude. I'm happy when she's happy.
PM me if you have any specific questions.

Correcaminos

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
HE was disappointing

Please read our review in the TUG resort pages -- we went into some detail about our experience there.

You can see many studios available in II at Hacienda Encantada now that the new building is open: it would seem that their marketing group is ready for action! Are the restaurants, service staff, shuttles, and pool facilities able to handle the increased visitor load?

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

I appreciate your responses. I did read the reviews of HE in the resort review section - some really loved HE and some were not so happy. I now have some more basis for making the decision of where to stay. Thank you for taking the time to give your input.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only stayed at Grand Solmar and a HUGE plus for me is that all rooms face the ocean. I looked at HE pictures and room descriptions, they do not all appear to face the ocean. If it is so, for me HE would rank below Grand Solmar.

Gabbie

Reaction score
If you stay in HE:
Do not rent a car. There is no parking in the resort. They will charge you about $20/day for valet. MX insurance is $300/wk.
Do not go to the sale presentation. The marketing company PTC is a scammer.
Double check your bill when check-out. Some restaurant in HE tend to charge you again, even you paid CC after eating.
Yes, some units have no ocean view.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
If you stay in HE:
Do not rent a car. There is no parking in the resort. They will charge you about $20/day for valet. MX insurance is $300/wk.
Do not go to the sale presentation. The marketing company PTC is a scammer.
Double check your bill when check-out. Some restaurant in HE tend to charge you again, even you paid CC after eating.
Yes, some units have no ocean view.

I agree with all except parking. Valet is free at HE.

We have been to both often. GS is our preferred. If you go to HE, its a beautiful place. But, AVOID the tour. Its a miserable experience. We love Cabo and always stay one of these two places.

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at HE now in building 1 which faces the building and ocean, beautiful view and the 1 bedroom suite is huge for only 2 people, I feel guilty for not inviting anyone. We purchased AI which worked for us they show you the bill and it is expensive so very glad we went with that option. Service could be just a tad better we had some service issue at the pool bar but not that big of a deal. I like the shuttle access and dining access to Marina Fiesta, seems to be more of a happening place. Food has been great but where is the Mexican rice?!

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add becareful of the timeshare people. They are ALL over in the airport, hotel,bathroom, bars even dinner...I'm not kidding! But specifically regarding HE they will talk to you when you first check-in and a few days later I asked for concierge I wanted some shuttle info and the timeshare lady who lead me to her desk (I thought she was concierge, she didn't say she wasn't!) talked me into doing the tour. We didn't buy they get so frustrated, surprised and unfriendly. But we lucked out because our guide was from Tennessee and actually had been to the area we live in and knows mutual people...small world...so we did enjoy his company and convo. Guess it could of been more painful!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add becareful of the timeshare people. They are ALL over in the airport, hotel,bathroom, bars even dinner...I'm not kidding! But specifically regarding HE they will talk to you when you first check-in and a few days later I asked for concierge I wanted some shuttle info and the timeshare lady who lead me to her desk (I thought she was concierge, she didn't say she wasn't!) talked me into doing the tour. We didn't buy they get so frustrated, surprised and unfriendly. But we lucked out because our guide was from Tennessee and actually had been to the area we live in and knows mutual people...small world...so we did enjoy his company and convo. Guess it could of been more painful!

We have not taken any TS presentation in Mexico other than the one at Westin Lagunamar. At Grand Solmar, they have a policy that they will not sell to someone over the age of 65. They asked us several times throughout our stay which we politely declined and told them that we did not qualify anyway per their policy. :)