• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan-Vidanta and Rivera Maya info

MN2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Rivera Maya and I would like any info on getting around the resort and also getting off the resort. I would like info on the bus transportation to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Puerto Morales. We are planning some excursions to Mayan ruins and ziplinning and want to find out the best way to pick up the tour transportation. I know in Nuevo Vallarta, they have put up fences and made it very difficult to leave the resort. I am assuming they have done the same at Rivera Maya. We like to explore the areas when we go and this is our first time to this resort. Please share anything you think might be helpful. Thanks.

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
There isn't anything near Vidanta at RM. the highway is basically one mega resort after another until you get to Cancun (North) or Playa (South).

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a free shuttle that takes you to Playa del Carmen on regular basis, and I believe there is also shuttle to Cancun with fee. To anywhere else, you will be relying on cab and local buses. We rented a car from PDC for a few days to go to Peurto Morelos, Cancun and Akumal. Snorkeling at Akumal is better than in PDC.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
There is a free shuttle that takes you to Playa del Carmen on regular basis, and I believe there is also shuttle to Cancun with fee. To anywhere else, you will be relying on cab and local buses. We rented a car from PDC for a few days to go to Peurto Morelos, Cancun and Akumal. Snorkeling at Akumal is better than in PDC.
we had to pay for the shuttle to playa-del carmen $6/pp.

either taxi or shuttle - both are very easy.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
We are planning a trip to Rivera Maya and I would like any info on getting around the resort and also getting off the resort. I would like info on the bus transportation to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Puerto Morales. We are planning some excursions to Mayan ruins and ziplinning and want to find out the best way to pick up the tour transportation. I know in Nuevo Vallarta, they have put up fences and made it very difficult to leave the resort. I am assuming they have done the same at Rivera Maya. We like to explore the areas when we go and this is our first time to this resort. Please share anything you think might be helpful. Thanks.

we booked our excursions (xplor - ziplines & ATVs, & chichen itza) through the hotel. for 2 adults, all food and transport $450. You can get online and see what booking directly would cost. http://www.xplor.travel/xplor-packages.php About 50 more total.

Both were fun. I would do Tullum vs. chichen itza because of the long day/travel time.

we enjoyed our time and as others said the highway is one big resort after another. Dining off site and shopping would be in playa del carmen or other locations. Nothing close by.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you rent a car, is there a parking fee for RM and if so, how much.

Thanks

MN2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to get to the highway, is there an easy way to get off the property? Also, I understand the beach is rocky and not good for swimming or boogie boarding. Is there a part where you can walk further down the beach to a smoother area suitable for boogie boarding?

MN2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, we would be staying at the Grand Mayan and was wondering if there is a specific building or buildings we should try to request. Thanks for all your help.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You can walk to the highway and catch one of the Collectivo vans, one of the buses to Playa, and maybe a taxi. We have done that. A bus to Puerto Morales might just drop you off at the highway - but usually there is a taxi right there to take you to town. We have not been for 10 years, but they used to call a shuttle at the front gate to take you back to your unit when you walked through it on your way back. When we go in April, we will probably take a taxi back from Playa with groceries.

Building requests are not generally an option. We tend to get better locations when we use our ownership week than when we exchange in. We have been told more than once that they know we are owners, but cannot give us the best unit when we exchange. They do generally put us on higher floors when we exchange. The GM units are only 3 stories high and some folks have commented recently that the 1st floor is noisier on the side where the trams run.

It is a nice resort and we look forward to going again in April.

Last edited:

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Shuttle to playa del Carmen is $5 or 80 peso

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I understand the beach is rocky and not good for swimming or boogie boarding. Is there a part where you can walk further down the beach to a smoother area suitable for boogie boarding?

I haven't been there in 2 years, but they've been working hard pumping sand onto the beach. Last time I was there it was a lot less painful to wade into the water.

As to boogie-boarding, you really won't find any waves suitable anywhere around there. I know there was a place in PDC where you could rent a boogie board, but I don't recall seeing any decent waves there either.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I haven't been there in 2 years, but they've been working hard pumping sand onto the beach. Last time I was there it was a lot less painful to wade into the water.

As to boogie-boarding, you really won't find any waves suitable anywhere around there. I know there was a place in PDC where you could rent a boogie board, but I don't recall seeing any decent waves there either.

not good for boogie boarding or surfing as there is a sea wall/barrier to keep the waves down. It helps but it can get pretty wavy in the afternoon with the onshore wind.

Until you get physically get behind cozumel Island i believe the wave/beach would be pretty rocky or have rocks added to help lesson the erosion. The beach in the middle of town down in play del carmen was stunning but was in the middle of town (not walking distance).

Beach/water with water shoes will be fine.

walking on the beach barefoot was not an issue. Its down by the waters edge that it can get rocky.

rpennisi

Reaction score
There are still lots of coral "outcrops" at the beach. Last month I walked in barefoot carefully, but water shoes would definitely help getting in and out of the water. The concrete artificial "reef" structures and the gigantic tethered bags of sand definitely keep the wave action down.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 50

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
How far out is the concrete reef in the image during low tide? Is it right at water's edge?

rpennisi

Reaction score
No, it is out as far as the palapa at the end of the pier. In the attached pic from that palapa, you can see the concrete structures on the bottom left. The pic that is in my previous
IMG_2406.jpeg
post is taken from that same palapa. You can see the coral nearer the beach as well.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh that isn't so bad...just wondered if my 8 yo would be able to splash around on the beach.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Ty1on, It's a bit deceiving because there is still a good amount of coral right up to the beach. You have to pick your way through to get to open water.
You should get water shoes for the 8 year old imo.
I heard it was illegal for Vidanta to remove the coral.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Ahh that isn't so bad...just wondered if my 8 yo would be able to splash around on the beach.

you will be fine but there are spots where the coral comes right up to the water line.