• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Reserved then Cancelled--Can You Help?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pls look at this LINK to a thread I started about a Grand Mayan Reservation in January 2008.

We called RCI and advised them that we just found out about the One in Five rule and asked for advice. The vacation advisor said that the Mayan Group would have cancelled our reservation in October anyway and then he cancelled it. We were away and we hadn't gotten the RCI confirmation yet so we assumed he knew what he was talking about. When we got home we read the RCI confirmation for a two bdrm villa at the Grand Mayan in Riveria Maya for January 19-26, 2008 and we found NO mention of any one in five rule. We were just at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta in June of 2007 but we didn't know about any one in five rule when we made our new reservation. As soon as we had our reservation in hand we reserved four seats on CO for Jan 19-26 Newark to Cancun..

Now we have airfare for four adults and nowhere to go. We really want to go to the Grand Mayan, and since the Grand Mayan, reservation didn't say anything about a one in five rule, I hope you can help get our reservation reinstated.

Also, I was not given a refund for the week so I assume it can still be reinstated!

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind- I waited for as long as I could for an answer and then I finally called RCI and spoke with a supervisor who got me into the Mayan Palace.NOT that we wanted the Mayan Palace, we wanted the Grand Mayan we exchanged into, but at least we have a place to stay. We used another friend's account and a guest certificate and it got done. Thanks EJC for pointing that out.

Last edited:

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
icydog--How does having a new reservation VIA RCI, this time for Mayan Palace, help the situation? You are still in violation of the 1-in-5 rule FOR ALL MAYAN PALACE (Grand Mayan, Mayan, Sea Garden) RESORTS. The rule is for ALL MAYAN PALACE RESORTS AS A GROUP, NOT EACH RESORT INDIVIDUALLY.

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
icydog--Never mind. I saw your post on another thread. You're using a friend's RCI acct and a guest certificate.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
icydog--Never mind. I saw your post on another thread. You're using a friend's RCI acct and a guest certificate.

I just amended my post. Thanks