• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan - Cabo - things to do?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have been to the GM in Cabo, what is there to do outside of the resort?

Any places/things that I "shouldn't miss"?

Is it close enough to walk to Cabo, or is like most of the other Vida resorts where it's out of the way and you have to taxi it everywhere?

Thanks!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I don't know what you mean by "Cabo" but there are two towns in Los Cabos.

Cabo San Lucas is party town and is what most people refer to when they say "Cabo."

San Jose del Cabo is quieter and about 30 miles or so from Cabo San Lucas. The Grand Mayan is in San Jose so you'd have quite a walk on your hands.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We loved our visit to Cabo San Jose in 2010. It is a short walk to the town square and there are places to eat there and on the way and we enjoyed it. You can take a taxi to the San Jose Marina and there are several restaurants there too. (Lots of nice yachts docked at the marina.)

The beach was pretty nice. Down to your right from the resort some folks set up large canopy tents and do massages for a great price. I personally liked the gals in the pink ones better than the white ones.

They Mega is a short walk from the resort. We stopped at the ATM on our way there and then bought food and beverages. We then took a taxi back for about $5 so we did not have to carry all the stuff back. Beverages get heavy :)

We only went into Cabo San Lucas one day and did have a sail scheduled. That was nice. There are some great restaurants along the marina area. You can take the bus into Cabo San Lucas from across the street from the Mega. It is not very expensive. The taxi was about $35USD. It is a 30-40 minute ride. We tried both - I was OK with the bus, but our friends did not like it. But, we take the bus when in PV and Mazatlan, so it was fine for us.

We loved the GM there - all units have ocean views. We have not been back since it was renovated after the hurricane a couple of years ago, but it is on our return to list. (Without friends this time!)

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We loved this resort because it is in San Jose del Cabo. The little town has many art galleries and interesting shops plus some nice restaurants - all walkable. It is not a party town and much more interesting.

Deb

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved our visit to Cabo San Jose in 2010. It is a short walk to the town square and there are places to eat there and on the way and we enjoyed it. You can take a taxi to the San Jose Marina and there are several restaurants there too. (Lots of nice yachts docked at the marina.)

The beach was pretty nice. Down to your right from the resort some folks set up large canopy tents and do massages for a great price. I personally liked the gals in the pink ones better than the white ones.

They Mega is a short walk from the resort. We stopped at the ATM on our way there and then bought food and beverages. We then took a taxi back for about $5 so we did not have to carry all the stuff back. Beverages get heavy :)

We only went into Cabo San Lucas one day and did have a sail scheduled. That was nice. There are some great restaurants along the marina area. You can take the bus into Cabo San Lucas from across the street from the Mega. It is not very expensive. The taxi was about $35USD. It is a 30-40 minute ride. We tried both - I was OK with the bus, but our friends did not like it. But, we take the bus when in PV and Mazatlan, so it was fine for us.

We loved the GM there - all units have ocean views. We have not been back since it was renovated after the hurricane a couple of years ago, but it is on our return to list. (Without friends this time!)

Thanks Phyllis! Glad to hear the Mega is close by.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "Cabo" but there are two towns in Los Cabos.

Cabo San Lucas is party town and is what most people refer to when they say "Cabo."

San Jose del Cabo is quieter and about 30 miles or so from Cabo San Lucas. The Grand Mayan is in San Jose so you'd have quite a walk on your hands.

LOL! You're right. Sorry, meant San Jose del Cabo.

It looks like a nice small town to see things and get local cuisine!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We stayed at Cabo Azul, which is right next door to the Grand Mayan. I agree with the others above who have described the area. The Mega store is not a bad walk with taking a taxi for the return with your groceries. It's a fairly easy walk into the downtown area and there are lots of places to eat and drink. There's a nice Italian restaurant right across the street from Cabo Azul.

We enjoyed the town and the resort location very much. Another plus for the location is that the airport is in San Jose del Cabo so it's cheaper and doesn't take as long to get to the resort as it does if staying in Cabo San Lucas.

Last edited:

lturnbow

Reaction score
Cabo

I've stayed there a few times. Rent a car. You'll have a lot more fun. I always rent from Hertz because they include $25K liability. Then my credit card covers collision if I do t take out the extra insurance. They will try to talk you into the extra insurance, but you don't have to have it. Rental cars are cheap. I've rented several times in several parts of Mexico and never had a problem.

On Thursday evenings they have an art walk in San Jose del Cabo which is the lovely area that the Grand Mayan is in. It's on the street to the left if you're walking toward the square. It's really fun.

The Tropicana restaurant is really good. If you have a car you should go to Fiona's kitchen for breakfast or lunch. It's very cool. And you have to go to Sunset de Mona Lisa for dinner at sunset. It's wonderful. Again this would be with a car. It's on the Corridor. Be sure to make reservations.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo

My wife & I are "activities" people when we visit places. In San Jose del Cabo we enjoyed the town's main center. Within a short walk with plenty of restaurants and small shops there. We also did the zipline that's across a small canyon. Lot's of fun. The Dolphin Experience was really cool. And, we also took a short boat ride to see the arch. The small fishing port in Cabo San Lucas looked interesting but we didn't have enough time to visit there.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
We had a ton of fun in the area. The whale watching tour was a blast; it took weeks to sort through all the photos we took! The X-Rails in the desert north of Cabo San Lucas was an unforgettable experience for me - both of those we arranged through the events desk at the resort. We also had a car for touring around, but used it mostly for grocery getting (Costco, Gigante, WalMart) and a couple of trips to Cabo San. You have to take a tour of Los Arcos and Lovers/Divorce beach when in Cabo San. Yes, it is touristy, but you can't go there and not see the main attraction.

Lots of great dining options in San Jose del Cabo; we walked to town most days. Restaurants there come and go quickly, and it has been long enough that I wouldn't risk recommending, but it was really easy to find the good ones; just look for the crowds.

huenix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread but... Anyone been to CsL Grand Mayan since it was re-opened? Can you still easily walk to town? I love Vida's food overall but I dont want to be held hostage.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Can you still easily walk to town? I love Vida's food overall but I dont want to be held hostage.
I believe most of the posts in this thread are still valid. The resort hasn't changed its location. It is still within walking distance to town.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe most of the posts in this thread are still valid. The resort hasn't changed its location. It is still within walking distance to town.

Stifling a giggle, getting a visual of the resort being dug up and moved 3 miles down the road.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Maybe someone spent a lot of money - and built a big wall .***

***. I mean Vidanta
they did do it in Nuevo

rpennisi

Reaction score
Clever T-Dot , and like the one in NV it was not paid by the other guys, but by us.
On another note, for Vidanta other than the MP in PV, or SG in NV, the GM in San Jose del Cabo has best options for transportation whether walking or taking buses, cabs, etc.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This was why I asked the question. I get a sense almost that sometimes the moderators don't want open discussion?
What are you referring to? What's not open about this discussion? Even if the Grand Mayan built a big wall around their San Jose del Cabo resort, it is very close to downtown--easily within walking distance. There would have to be some opening or gate in the wall to get into the resort. It's not in a remote location where you'd be trapped all week.

Last edited:

rpennisi

Reaction score
100% agree. It's not at all comparable to what Vidanta did in Nuevo Vallarta.
They can't isolate the Grand Mayan in SJ Del Cabo.