*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Gorton or Creton Recipe

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by pcgirl54, Dec 3, 2006.

1. pcgirl54

pcgirl54 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

DH Memere used to make this pork pate. My MIL made it but it was too dry and she would never release the recipe to her children. I know my FIL who was French Canadian used to make westerns with it and used it as a spread on toast. My husband is looking for a recipe just like Memere's. I do not care for it but he loves it.

Thanks so much.

2. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  3. grest

grest Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Yum! We had creton regularly when I was a kid, and in fact my mom still makes it all the time...but she can't seem to write down a recipe...she goes by taste and instinct, and it always works. I'll be back home in Maine for Christmas...will try to figure it out. Meanwhile, if you are in Lewiston, ME sometime, there is a privately owned grocery store called Bourque's Market, known for its great meats...they make creton, delicious creton, every week, both in the pork and turkey variety...I never heard of people ordering and getting it by mail, but it might be worth a shot..
    Connie

4. DianeG

DianeG TUG Member

Creton

Creton is not creton if you don't add cloves... creton shouldn't never be made bland.

My mother has been experimenting with various meat versions. Personally, I really can't tell the difference much when the pork is blended either with veal or turkey. The key is still to marble the creton with enough fat and to season it with enough onion, bit of garlic, bit of salt, more pepper, dash of cloves and bit of cinnamon. Sage is also nice in creton.

My local butcher carries an all-lamb version of creton that is now my absolute favorite. However, my hubby prefers the more traditional pork versions, which is quite funny because he's a Prairie-boy of Icelandic descent. He's been living in Quebec long enough now to merrit the title of 'Anglo-Qu├ębecois' ;) He likes his creton on 'brown' (wholewheat) toast, on the side with beans. If we go out for breakfast locally and doesn't get either with the usual bacon & eggs, he feels seriously cheated :bawl:

5. pcgirl54

pcgirl54 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Thanks so much. Nice to know there are versions of this. Keep those posts coming.
    My FIL parents were from an area south of Montreal. Both his parents were from large farm families of 17-18 children. Creton was his mother's special recipe. None of them sadly are no longer with us.