• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good trading week

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
We are considering buying a resale week primarily for trading. We own Wyndham points now. What would be a good investment resort/week for the best trading power? We are finally starting to truly understand the points side of things but have no idea on weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at a resort which can be deposited in either RCI or II .. or their management company's independent resorts ... VRI. Fixed Weeks ... in Ft Lauderdale. Very good trader. I own weeks 52, Week 7, Week 26 & 27 ..get the picture. Oh, the 2/2 units are all lockoffs ... split & trade works well ... esp with II for like size unit or RCI for combining TPUs on the studio deposit. Resort also has RCI Points converted weeks...can't trade them thru II but can borrow future years RCI points.

So as time changes, I can change where I am trading my own weeks.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
Why do you want to do this? Do you have specific destinations in mind? If so, what are they?

I'm a fairly frequent exchanger, but if I were buying again today, I do not think I would buy a week primarily to exchange.

Reasons would be to be able to have both points and weeks inventory open through RCI or possibly use the week through interval. As I said, we are very unfamiliar with weeks so advice is appreciated. We would only do this if we would find a good resale deal. We are also considering getting rid of some of our points so we wouldn't necessarily be adding but replacing.
One of the main destinations is trading into Dvc to just open a little more availability.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the main destinations is trading into Dvc to just open a little more availability.

Buy DVC resale ... save and borrow points .. staying onsite 1 year out of 3. Disney costs BIG money even on resale. If you want the owner benefits (which mostly got stripped a couple of years ago) ... there is a minimum number of points to buy if NOT an owner ..directly from DVC. As an owner (even resale), you can buy a low point contract (I think 25 points is the lowest add-on contract). And like any good angle, that might change in the future. And 100 points is the minimum for a NEW direct buyer IF YOU are not a current owner directly.

Last major change with DVC ... within the past year ... was stripping some owner benefits off the resale buyers .. applied to future resale buyers verse the current owner pool.

And look which resort for ANY buying of DVC resorts .. earlier booking window applies. I own at AKV... got to love the critters when you can watch them 24/7.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a retail Wyndham owner, you already have access to both Points and Weeks. If you are a resale owner, your access is to Weeks inventory, but denominated in Wyndham points. In particular:

Buying a week for exchange will do nothing to help you get DVC exchanges vs. owning Wyndham points, and it will almost certainly cost you more to exchange a "regular" week for a DVC unit vs. using Wyndham points for said exchange.

If you want more DVC stays, buy there. I'm considering it; we are just waiting to see where the youngest goes to college, because that will have a material impact on our budget.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buy DVC resale ... save and borrow points .. staying onsite 1 year out of 3. Disney costs BIG money even on resale. If you want the owner benefits (which mostly got stripped a couple of years ago) ... there is a minimum number of points to buy if NOT an owner ..directly from DVC. As an owner (even resale), you can buy a low point contract (I think 25 points is the lowest add-on contract). And like any good angle, that might change in the future. And 100 points it not a current owner directly.

Last major change with DVC ... within the past year ... was stripping some owner benefits off the resale buyers .. applied to future resale buyers verse the current owner pool.

And look which resort for ANY buying of DVC resorts .. earlier booking window applies. I own at AKV... got to love the critters when you can watch them 24/7.

I would love to buy Dvc but it is just not in our budget. We have over 500,000 Wyndham point that cost around $1500 total. Dvc we are looking at $10000 minimum for probably less than 100 pts. I know that it does take less points through Dvc .We rent Dvc often and just started trying to exchange through RCI.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are a retail Wyndham owner, you already have access to both Points and Weeks. If you are a resale owner, your access is to Weeks inventory, but denominated in Wyndham points. In particular:

Buying a week for exchange will do nothing to help you get DVC exchanges vs. owning Wyndham points, and it will almost certainly cost you more to exchange a "regular" week for a DVC unit vs. using Wyndham points for said exchange.

If you want more DVC stays, buy there. I'm considering it; we are just waiting to see where the youngest goes to college, because that will have a material impact on our budget.

Wouldn't it open more inventory through RCI? I'm honestly trying to figure all this out so pardon my questions. We are resale owners.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale Vero Beach is $57 or $58 per point ... those trade into DVC ... just without the resort advance booking window.

I did not check MF cost... but that was JUST one resale office. 100 pt contract would be $5700 plus closing.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would buy a small DVC resale contract like Saratoga. I have seen some pass at $78 a point. With exchanging through RCI you are pretty much limited to Saratoga. You sound like DVC is your number one goal so why not open up your horizons to all the DVC inventory by owning DVC? If you buy something else, by the time you purchase it, pay the maintenance fees a few years, and trade fees, you could have bought a small DVC contract.

Last edited:

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
We are considering buying a resale week primarily for trading. We own Wyndham points now. What would be a good investment resort/week for the best trading power? We are finally starting to truly understand the points side of things but have no idea on weeks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
I believe the Dolphin and/or Peacock resorts in Anaheim, CA are good traders. Plus they are close to DL so you have the option of going there if you wanted to use your week for yourself.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would love to buy Dvc but it is just not in our budget. We have over 500,000 Wyndham point that cost around $1500 total. Dvc we are looking at $10000 minimum for probably less than 100 pts. I know that it does take less points through Dvc .We rent Dvc often and just started trying to exchange through RCI.
What is nice about a DVC is they have strong resale value, Saratoga probably will have a strong resale value for the next 20 years at least. So what you pay upfront you will get a lot of it back when/if you sell. DVC has a strong renting, and resale network so you should not be "stuck" with an timeshare if in the future you want out.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resale Vero Beach is $57 or $58 per point ... those trade into DVC ... just without the resort advance booking window.

I did not check MF cost... but that was JUST one resale office. 100 pt contract would be $5700 plus closing.
I think vero has some of the highest maintenances fees. I think if we bought resale it would be Boardwalk.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is nice about a DVC is they have strong resale value, Saratoga probably will have a strong resale value for the next 20 years at least. So what you pay upfront you will get a lot of it back when/if you sell. DVC has a strong renting, and resale network so you should not be "stuck" with an timeshare if in the future you want out.
I agree! It's the initial purchase cast that is prohibitive right now.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, I see that it will not open us up to more inventory through Rci. However we could deposit the week into interval international... correct? They generally have some of the higher end resorts correct?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, depositing into an exchange company with DVC is YOU ask DVC to deposit points for a certain unit size. DVC deposits into the exchange company they have contracted to ... and right now, that company is RCI.

Of course, if you want a say a Marriott week for the date of MM/dd/YY, you could POST a request on TUG offering up YOUR ability to get a DVC unit and see if you can arrange a PRIVATE trade.

That might be an appealing exchange for both owners.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If using as a trader and not using for Dvc, interval will offer many more higher quality resorts then Rci. I find with my prime weeks which are high demand time and area with interval I get good trades with ogs. With Rci I usually have to use my TPUs off season to stay at a higher end place. Seems with Rci and ogs prime time doesn't happen even though I deposited prime time.

Rci seems more transparent with trades, but in my opinion it isn't. They are constantly changing week Tpu values and have given me way less TPUs then what they charge others for the week I've deposited so to exchange for an equivalent week I have deposited I need more points then they give me. With interval, even though there trading method is secret, they are much more fair to me.

There are great deals to purchase you just have to keep looking. I own HOA runned properties that are maintained well, renovated, and have reasonable maintence fees. I have gotten those needle in a haystack by patiently waiting. Some of my best trading weeks I received for free (fellow tugger),purchased on eBay or directly from the HOA.

Think winter southwest Florida, key west fall will work too, northeast Summer week based on where you live would work too for great trading value.

Since what I own is no secret...the only one that doesn't trade well in interval is the one I own in treasure island, Florida.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If using as a trader and not using for Dvc, interval will offer many more higher quality resorts then Rci. I find with my prime weeks which are high demand time and area with interval I get good trades with ogs. With Rci I usually have to use my TPUs off season to stay at a higher end place. Seems with Rci and ogs prime time doesn't happen even though I deposited prime time.

Rci seems more transparent with trades, but in my opinion it isn't. They are constantly changing week Tpu values and have given me way less TPUs then what they charge others for the week I've deposited so to exchange for an equivalent week I have deposited I need more points then they give me. With interval, even though there trading method is secret, they are much more fair to me.

There are great deals to purchase you just have to keep looking. I own HOA runned properties that are maintained well, renovated, and have reasonable maintence fees. I have gotten those needle in a haystack by patiently waiting. Some of my best trading weeks I received for free (fellow tugger),purchased on eBay or directly from the HOA.

Think winter southwest Florida, key west fall will work too, northeast Summer week based on where you live would work too for great trading value.

Since what I own is no secret...the only one that doesn't trade well in interval is the one I own in treasure island, Florida.

Yes..I would probably still use my points to try to stay Dvc through RCI. However, interval looks like it has some nice Hyatt and Marriott properties. Does it seem to be able to trade into most properties through interval?? Although key west is listed through RCI I haven't seen it available yet. Dvc is also very difficult. Wondering if the "good" properties on interval are just as elusive?

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes..I would probably still use my points to try to stay Dvc through RCI. However, interval looks like it has some nice Hyatt and Marriott properties. Does it seem to be able to trade into most properties through interval?? Although key west is listed through RCI I haven't seen it available yet. Dvc is also very difficult. Wondering if the "good" properties on interval are just as elusive?
DVC thru RCI usually have more listing showing in RCI inventory in the Fall months (Sept-earlyNov), and January. If you can plan your DVC requests and searches for those months I think you will get one.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC thru RCI usually have more listing showing in RCI inventory in the Fall months (Sept-earlyNov), and January. If you can plan your DVC requests and searches for those months I think you will get one.
I currently have 2 OGS. One June 2017 through march 2018. Trying to hit either a week in June or a week in feb or march of 2018 And one for a specific week oct of 2018 at any Dvc resort.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
you can get high end Orlando properties in RCI weeks, you just have to plan early. HGVC just bulked tons of O weeks for 2018. Last March, I got a 3BR HGVC in weeks for Easter this year. At 1 year out, I got a 2BR Christmas week Marriott in O (oe of the few Ms in RCI). O is VERY easy to get with advance planning. DVC is getting tougher. Even with RCI points, April did not get deposited until 3 months out--too close for me!
I had a high demand, high quality 2 BR summer beach week that I deposited thru II. Again, O was easy, but other places, not so much. We traded for M Aruba but only for a studio. Other places like the Keys, Calif., Europe came up nil for school breaks/prime season. I stopped depositing in II. Also, many hotel places have preference for their system owners first, so the good stuff goes to them, esp. M.
If you really want an RCI trader, buy a RCI points week (or converted week that the RCI points transfer) that has multiple good seasons (so summer owners aren't paying for high defaults of non-prime weeks). Always think exit strategy, so something that you could at least easily give away for free.
In 2007, I bought an EOY HHI 2BR on ebay for under $1k. I get EOY 72,500 RCI points. Annual fees are on the high side of $1000, but as I only pay EOY and I didn't pay much on ebay, I am OK with this, esp. as I was not a super savvy resale purchaser at that time. HHI has a strong summer season and decent spring/fall seasons, so the base of those paying annual fees appears to be OK.
I have liked having RCI points. I have gotten 4 DVC exchanges, 2 of which were Easter week, plus summer Bermuda, and S. Cal. None of those weeks were available in RCI weeks.

Last edited:

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
buy a RCI points week (or converted week that the RCI points transfer) that has multiple good seasons (so summer owners aren't paying for high defaults of non-prime weeks). Always think exit strategy, so something that you could at least easily give away for free.
In 2007, I bought an EOY HHI 2BR on ebay for under $1k. I get EOY 72,500 RCI points. Annual fees are on the high side of $1000, but as I only pay EOY and I didn't pay much on ebay, I am OK with this, esp. as I was not a super savvy resale purchaser at that time. HHI has a strong summer season and decent spring/fall seasons, so the base of those paying annual fees appears to be OK.
I have liked having RCI points. I have gotten 4 DVC exchanges, 2 of which were Easter week, plus summer Bermuda, and S. Cal. None of those weeks were available in RCI weeks.
This is where I'm confused. I thought if it was resale I could not access points in RCI ?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought if it was resale I could not access points in RCI ?
Elaine is talking about buying a week that's been converted to RCI Points, not Wyndham.

One caveat about trading in Interval: Marriott and Starwood both have an internal preference period, during which deposits can only be seen by other owners in those systems. So, if you think you want to trade into Marriotts frequently, you should buy a Marriott week.

But, I still am not sure it's a great idea to buy a week specifically for trading. I'll let the II Marriott people chime in on that.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Elaine is talking about buying a week that's been converted to RCI Points,
you have to carefully check with resort and RCI. Many now do not allow the conversion to transfer, so a straight RCI points week is likely better. Personally, if I were you, I'd just stay at Bonnet Creek most of the time, or buy a small contract at DVC to supplement. BC has a much superior location than any other offsite TS, even the nice HGVC and Ms. Plus a shuttle to the parks, even if you have to pay for it. Sometimes we stay offsite and then just use our DVC points for essentially a studio day room for a few days to get our DVC fix. Still works our better than using/renting DVC points for a 1 or 2 BR for a full week at peak season.