*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Golf: Do real men use women's clubs?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by CMF, Jun 23, 2008.

1. CMF

CMF TUG Member

The pro shop at the range had a bunch of used drivers for sale on Saturday and I could not resist [in spite of promising myself that I would concentrate on my putting] to hit them. Finally, I found a driver that I can hit! I bought the club and looked it up on the web when I got home. You know it - it's a woman's club. :eek: The purple color should have been a tip off.

I feel self conscious as it is on the course. Swinging a woman's driver is only going to make it worse. What to do? What to do?

Charles

2. gary01

gary01 TUG Member

Real men CAN use women's clubs but they CAN NOT use the women's tees...

3. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    I don't know - you tell US! :wave:

4. basham

basham TUG Member

A real golfer will use anything that gives him an advantage.

So use it.

It is good for a funny story if a comment is made.

5. Jestjoan

Jestjoan TUG Member

Don't tell and no one will know......You can have it regripped (I think that's the right word) if you can't stand it. You didn't know it is a woman's club. I doubt anyone else will.

6. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Charles
    My swing speed has slowed to the point that the pro said to use a Senior or Woman driver. Your use of one makes me want to try one. So when my buddies say "you hit that like a girl " maybe I will have a better excuse than the one I used yesterday.

7. Cathyb

Cathyb Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I'm so tall that Women's clubs are too short, so my DH bought me men's clubs. Unfortunately they are gathering dust in the garage because I am a failure -- four different instructors over 10 years and 3 told me to take up another sport :eek:

8. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Maybe try a flexible shaft.

9. bobcat

bobcat TUG Member

Play with what you can hit. You can buy a purple pair of pants to match the club. Tell people its your WOW color.

10. Harvey and Lin

Harvey and Lin TUG Member

Charles, just how much extra distance did you get from the new club? How far do you hit your best tee shot now? Curious male minds want to know. Harvey

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  11. CMF

CMF TUG Member

I broke the 200 yard barrier regularly with this club. My longest drive was about 230. The 3 wood that I was hitting off the deck was getting me about 175 yards. My men's driver has a 10 degree loft and the shaft is about an inch longer. The ladies Tava has a 14 degree loft. The most important thing though is that I hit it straight more often than not.

My first problem overall was making good contact with the ball. Now I have to worry about slices and hooks more than anything.

Funny thing is, the better I get the more frustrated I become.

Charles

12. silvib

silvib TUG Member

If it works for you - stick with it! There are times we need all the help we can get.

13. Eric in McLean

Eric in McLean Guest

Seriously? I've been golfing for years and I would like to get from high teen handicap to low teen or maybe even single digit. I'm paying out the wazoo for lessons but I think the money is too good for the instructor to tell me that I will never play much better.

14. Eric in McLean

Eric in McLean Guest

The two big differences btwn men's and women's is the length and flexibility of the shaft. Women's are usually shorter, and as you know, shorter clubs are easier to control. Women's clubs are also more flexible, even more so than senior flex. If you can hit this club 230 yards, then you shouldn't be using women's or senior flex. I hit my stiff flex driver 220 to 240 yards. Try hitting a shorter regular flex club. You might want to get on a launch monitor to find out what equipment you should use.

15. CMF

CMF TUG Member

Eric, are you saying that I am likely to get more distance with a stiffer shaft??

Charles

16. skierbri10

skierbri10 TUG Member

I didn't read everyones post, but womens clubs are built for shorter people. The shafts are not as stiff so people with slow swings would benefit. Usually, the head of the club is the same or similar as a mens club. The grip might be smaller for the smaller female hand. I have heard of a few pros on the PGA tour using a womens club. I couldn't tell you who though.

17. caribbeansun

caribbeansun TUG Member

More loft straighter shot.

You can always spray paint it black :D

18. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

Charles

I posted in your other golf thread about the pro who came to talk to our ladies group and now remember there were a few men there including my DH's retired doctor. Well I found out yesterday that Dr John bought the whole set of the ladies clubs she was promoting! I'm not sure if he picked the pretty emerald green ones with the flexible shafts or the purple ones :D

BTW he also likes to play golf with the ladies!

Lynn

19. dukebigtom

dukebigtom Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Driver?

IF the loft is 14 degree, for all intents and purposes you are hitting a 3 wood anyway. I always tease the guys I play with that real men use drivers off the tee not 3 woods. If they hear about this, they'll be wanting to know where you can buy this purple club.

BigTom

20. Eric in McLean

Eric in McLean Guest

Not more distance but more control. It's always a trade-off. If you can hit it 230, then you can sacrifice a little distance for more control. If you really enjoy the game, I suggest you work on your flexibility. It's not brute strength in golf, it's more about flexibility, technique, and contact.

21. Kozman

Kozman TUG Member

Man Purse? Woman's Clubs.

If you are a very short guy I'm sure you could use womens clubs. Heck, if you can use a man purse, then why not woman clubs!