• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Global Entry Program/Pre-Check [Split from screaming woman thread]

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Please explain how you got PreCheck with both Nexus/Global Entry. I thought you could get either Global Entry OR Nexus, but not something that combined both.

Sorry I have Nexus, not global entry. I meant that if you got Global Entry or Nexus, you got Pre-check too.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sorry I have Nexus, not global entry. I meant that if you got Global Entry or Nexus, you got Pre-check too.

Thanks.

Yes, that's true. With both Nexus and Global Entry you are eligible for PreCheck. It does not guarantee you will get it as our daughter found out on a United flight to Canada from the U.S. We think she might not have since it was a one way ticket.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Goes & nexus

We had our interview Thursday. Told by the agent we could immediately use our KTN by entering the # on our ff accounts (we leave for abroad in a week) and that, even though the cards will be mailed while we are traveling, we will be able to use GOES when we re-enter the US at ORD.

He also informed us that when we drive to/from Canada, our GOES card will allow us to use the NEXUS lanes re-entering the US, so long as all pax have one or the other. Won't help me out as I usually travel for a girls' getaway to Niagara-on-the-Lake with friends who have neither.

Cards are needed for returning to a US port from a cruise.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
He also informed us that when we drive to/from Canada, our GOES card will allow us to use the NEXUS lanes re-entering the US, so long as all pax have one or the other. Won't help me out as I usually travel for a girls' getaway to Niagara-on-the-Lake with friends who have neither.

When we returned from Vancouver, BC there was just one NEXUS/Global Entry line. We used that.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is a great chart. What it does not highlight is if you get a NEXUS entry for Canada, It comes with a FREE Global Entry.

If you purchase a Global Entry it does not come with a FREE NEXUS.

So if you live near a Canadian office / Border Crossing that can do NEXUS, that is the way to go and get both for Half the price of GE alone.

Same thing is true of the Sentri program (southern border program like Nexus for the northern border). Sentri is good on the northern border and Nexus is good on the southern border, too. Both can be used for Global Entry.

The sign entering the U.S. from Mexico says "Sentri, Nexus and Global Entry." I think they have finally merged the three so that having any one of them is sufficient for the other two.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Its been 3 months since I applied and I still am at Pending Review. Is there anyplace I can call to check on status? I've looked on the website and can not find any phone info to call and check...thanks everyone..

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Its been 3 months since I applied and I still am at Pending Review. Is there anyplace I can call to check on status? I've looked on the website and can not find any phone info to call and check...thanks everyone..

I found this number on the US Customs and Border Control website. Hope it's the right one.

Inquiries (877) 227-5511

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

I received an email yesterday reminding me to update my frequent flyer info with my TSA KTN. At the bottom of the email was this:

For Additional Information and Assistance:
Call the TSA Contact Center at (866) 289-9673
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-11pm EST, Weekends/Holidays 9am-8pm EST

Hope this helps.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I received an email yesterday reminding me to update my frequent flyer info with my TSA KTN. At the bottom of the email was this:

For Additional Information and Assistance:
Call the TSA Contact Center at (866) 289-9673
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-11pm EST, Weekends/Holidays 9am-8pm EST

Hope this helps.

Is this for PreCheck or Global Entry?

The number I provided is for Global Entry and I think that is what Sugarcubesea applied for.

At least she'll have a couple of numbers to try.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Thank you both, yes its global entry that I applied for. Thank you

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Somewhat based on this thread, I signed up for Pre-Check. I did it back in late May, and had my appointment (right before a trip) in mid-July. I got my approval in about 15 hours (appt. was at 2:30 pm; got the e-mail notification at 5:30 am the next morning, just as I was going through security, coincidentally.)

I was *very impressed* by that turnaround. Since I only travel overseas maybe once a year, I decided that I really didn't need Global Entry.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Somewhat based on this thread, I signed up for Pre-Check. I did it back in late May, and had my appointment (right before a trip) in mid-July. I got my approval in about 15 hours (appt. was at 2:30 pm; got the e-mail notification at 5:30 am the next morning, just as I was going through security, coincidentally.)

I was *very impressed* by that turnaround.

I wonder why it takes longer for approval for PreCheck than for Global Entry (at least in my case).

I don't remember how long it took from the time I applied until I got the approval online. I set the appointment for a date I was going to be at the Albuquerque airport as I had a flight. After I had my interview and was fingerprinted, I went through Security, got settled in the waiting room, and I had an email telling me I'd been approved. Took less than an hour.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Un-applied-for precheck; APC and MPC

We've never applied for any of the rapid entry or PreCheck programs being discussed here. A couple of years ago on a domestic flight, I noticed that my boarding pass had a PreCheck indication but DW's didn't. I suspected that was because I had put my (AA) FF number on my reservation, but not hers. And that was apparently right, as on the return I had added hers, and we both got PreCheck.

Since then, almost always we both get PreCheck.

I had read, when this program was first coming out, that members of FF programs were being automatically enrolled. Is this not still the case? I suppose if they can get $85, they will.

I didn't see any discussion of APC in this thread. We first ran into this at JFK last June, but apparently it's in many airports now. You walk up to a kiosk, enter your flight information, scan your passport, the kiosk takes your picture, and gives you a receipt. The information page says you're supposed to give that to an officer, but last year, she was just waving through anyone holding one. Also last year, you still had to fill out a customs declaration form, but according to the website, this is now included in the information you give the kiosk.

And now there is MPC, which looks to be about the same except you do it on your smartphone as soon as you land. (You preload your information details ahead of time.) You enter your airline info and take a picture, and get an encrypted QR code which you "bring to a CBP officer" and get cleared. We'll be returning to the US in two weeks and will give this a try.

Won't either of these eliminate the need for Global Entry, at least for US citizens and residents?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We've never applied for any of the rapid entry or PreCheck programs being discussed here. A couple of years ago on a domestic flight, I noticed that my boarding pass had a PreCheck indication but DW's didn't. I suspected that was because I had put my (AA) FF number on my reservation, but not hers. And that was apparently right, as on the return I had added hers, and we both got PreCheck.

That has nothing to do with it.

We've always put everyone's frequent flyer number on reservations and before having Global Entry it was still very random.

And even my dd, with her United ff number, Global Entry AND preferred United status didn't get PreCheck on a recent flight.

I had read, when this program was first coming out, that members of FF programs were being automatically enrolled. Is this not still the case? I suppose if they can get $85, they will.
Again, not the case. It may have depended on what kind of status you had with the ff program but not all ff members were automatically enrolled. We belong to several and didn't get it automatically.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I live just a short distance south of the Canadian Border, so traveling there for an interview is easy to do. Last week a coworker told me he had just returned from his Nexus interview, and I checked the GOES website to see what it offered me.

I ended up applying for Nexus, which (as I read it) gives Global Entry as well as TSA-Pre. For $50 for five years, it's a heck of a deal. I'd travel to Vancouver more than I do if it was easier to get across the border, and the idea of expedited reentry into the USA from overseas would be great. Toss in TSA-Pre for five years, and all for half the price of the other plans, and it's a win-win. Spouse will apply soon, so we can both be ready to go.

One thing my coworker mentioned, is that everyone in the car needs to have a Nexus card in order to use it. If the driver has one, but passengers don't, you can't use it. And if they catch you dropping off people so they can walk across the border while you use the Nexus lane, it's major bad news, resulting in loss of all access and so forth. Buyer beware.

Dave

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
It's interesting that NEXUS is just for people and costs $50 each, good for going either way between US and Canada by land, sea, or air, and includes use of Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports, which means the kiosks are actually in Canada . It also permits entry to the US via Global Entry from other countries, and now it also includes use of SENTRI lanes from Mexico (all this from the CBP website).

SENTRI is only for Mexican land borders, only into the US, includes a car as well as people, and costs $122.50 each. However, it works as NEXUS when entering the US from Canada (but presumably not the other way) and includes Global Entry privileges if you're a US citizen or national.

Both are good for 5 years and include PreCheck, inasmuch as you can fill the card number into the KTN field.

NEXUS would seem the most cost-effective, but you have to have the interview at a NEXUS site, which are only found along the Canadian border (e.g., Blaine and Seattle in WA).

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were refused entry into Canada with our Sentri card--they were nice about it and let us go with the warning never to do that again.

It's fine for entering the U.S. from Canada, and of course for entering the U.S. from Mexico. (Mexico has no similar program for easy entry to Mexico.)

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
It's interesting that NEXUS is just for people and costs $50 each, good for going either way between US and Canada by land, sea, or air, and includes use of Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports, which means the kiosks are actually in Canada . It also permits entry to the US via Global Entry from other countries, and now it also includes use of SENTRI lanes from Mexico (all this from the CBP website).

SENTRI is only for Mexican land borders, only into the US, includes a car as well as people, and costs $122.50 each. However, it works as NEXUS when entering the US from Canada (but presumably not the other way) and includes Global Entry privileges if you're a US citizen or national.

Both are good for 5 years and include PreCheck, inasmuch as you can fill the card number into the KTN field.

NEXUS would seem the most cost-effective, but you have to have the interview at a NEXUS site, which are only found along the Canadian border (e.g., Blaine and Seattle in WA).

Nexus is Canada's program, with reciprocity to Global Entry for US citizens. That's why the interview is actually two separate interviews, one each with US and Canadian officials. I believe you have to be approved by Canada first.

DH & I got Nexus this year, and so far only have used the pre-check benefit.
Iris scans in Canada are required to use Nexus/Global Entry in Canadian airports. We interviewed in Seattle, so have to go up to Canada to get our scans. But have the Nexus cards for the land/car entry.

My son just applied, but we're not sure he'll be accepted as he has moved between 3-4 different addresses in the last 5 years (mostly for school) and has a very spotty employment history.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We were refused entry into Canada with our Sentri card--they were nice about it and let us go with the warning never to do that again.

It's fine for entering the U.S. from Canada, and of course for entering the U.S. from Mexico. (Mexico has no similar program for easy entry to Mexico.)

All we needed going in to Canada were our passports. Used Global Entry on the way from Canada back into US.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should've gotten NEXUS

I somehow got it in my head that NEXUS was just for Canadians, so applied for Global Entry instead. After further research, I could've saved $50 and gotten NEXUS with all the benefits of Global Entry. We'll just have to look into NEXUS when we renew in 5 years.

I'm in Seattle and the NEXUS/Global Entry Enrollment Centers here are booked until early 2017. Vancouver, BC has plenty of openings August and onward. We decided to make a mini vacation out of it and booked Holland America's overnight re-positioning cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, appear at our Global Entry interviews in Vancouver after we disembark, and take the shuttle back to Seattle.

We're looking forward to guaranteed TSA Pre-Check when we fly!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We're looking forward to guaranteed TSA Pre-Check when we fly!

While you are probably 99.9999% sure of getting PreCheck it's not a total guarantee. I've posted several times about my dd who does have Global Entry, and is a preferred United customer. On a flight from Albuquerque to Vancouver she did NOT get PreCheck. No explanation. I'm guessing it's because she had a one way ticket and was leaving the U.S.

Be sure when you make your reservations that you include your KTN. Even if you've entered it into your travel profile with the airline it's a good idea to check.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
While you are probably 99.9999% sure of getting PreCheck it's not a total guarantee. I've posted several times about my dd who does have Global Entry, and is a preferred United customer. On a flight from Albuquerque to Vancouver she did NOT get PreCheck. No explanation. I'm guessing it's because she had a one way ticket and was leaving the U.S.

Be sure when you make your reservations that you include your KTN. Even if you've entered it into your travel profile with the airline it's a good idea to check.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up!

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
United is now selling Pre-Check for miles. Not sure if their association with TSA is changing.