• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting rid of Timeshare by transfer or liquidation?

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would like to get rid of our timeshare. A company called National Cancellation and Transfer says that they can do a transfer or liquidation and get it out of our name and no longer have the timeshare in our name or have maintenance fees. They charge $1500.00 total fee from beginning to end. They are located in MO. They are rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They say they have a money back guarantee for their fee. I could not find any comsumer reviews for them. Are they a legit company? We just want out of our timeshare and maintenance fees even if it means taking a loss. At least we won't have to keep throwing good money after bad for something we do not use or want!!!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the biggest red flag that you should avoid a company is that they charge an upfront fee...its really quite universal!

where do you own? have you attempted to contact your HOA to see if they would take it back? have you attempted to list it for $1 to see if someone would take over your ownership from you?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know how you would get your money back on "money back guarantee"? This is nothing more than just a scam. After you pay, you will still be stuck with your timeshare. Goodbye to $1.5K.

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
the biggest red flag that you should avoid a company is that they charge an upfront fee...its really quite universal!

where do you own? have you attempted to contact your HOA to see if they would take it back? have you attempted to list it for $1 to see if someone would take over your ownership from you?
I've read that
"the biggest red flag that you should avoid a company is that they charge an upfront fee...its really quite universal!" However, I thought that was for resale, not transfers. I do intend to contact the attorney general of MO. and NJ, and see if they have any info on this company.
We own at the Flagship, in Atlantic City, NJ. I called them to see if they had a resale program and they said no and did not offer me anything else. Did I ask the wrong questions? Should I ask if they will take it back instead?
No, I have not listed it only because, then what? If someone wants it for a $1.00, what do I do after that? Would you please list the steps?...lawyer...what???? I would be glad to list it here and on Ebay. I see others just like mine for the same amount. Thanks and give me whatever other advice you may have, please!

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know how you would get your money back on "money back guarantee"? This is nothing more than just a scam. After you pay, you will still be stuck with your timeshare. Goodbye to $1.5K.

No, I do not but Thank You for responding with this question. I will find out beforehand.

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I've read that
"the biggest red flag that you should avoid a company is that they charge an upfront fee...its really quite universal!" However, I thought that was for resale, not transfers. I do intend to contact the attorney general of MO. and NJ, and see if they have any info on this company.
We own at the Flagship, in Atlantic City, NJ. I called them to see if they had a resale program and they said no and did not offer me anything else. Did I ask the wrong questions? Should I ask if they will take it back instead?
No, I have not listed it only because, then what? If someone wants it for a $1.00, what do I do after that? Would you please list the steps?...lawyer...what???? I would be glad to list it here and on Ebay. I see others just like mine for the same amount. Thanks and give me whatever other advice you may have, please!
Also, I do not want to have to make another maintenance fee payment. How long would it take to sell here or on ebay? Two more payments would be the cost of the company's fee.

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I do not but Thank You for responding with this question. I will find out beforehand.

Also, I do not want to have to make another maintenance fee payment. How long would it take to sell here or on ebay? Two more payments would be the cost of the company's fee.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two more payments would be the cost of the company's fee.

What you say is true. The problem is that if you go with Nat'l Cancellation and Transfer, you will end up paying both the $1,500 and the MFs. List your Week on TUG for $1.00 and agree to pay the cost of transferring the Week. Hopefully, you will attract an experienced Tugger who will walk you through the Transfer Process. And be patient. It may take time.

You also might want to call the Resort and see if they will do a Deed Back and if so, how much they will charge you to do it.

George

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

There is no way to know how long it might take to sell or give away your timeshare. Even if you listed it in the "Bargain Deals" forum on TUG for free and you find a willing recipient, it might take a few months from start to finish --- that's still considerably better than never.

Paying any "exit / relief / escape / release" parasite entity $1,500 upfront will almost certainly be a complete waste of your money that will yield no results. You will be "out" the money and you will still have your timeshare (and its' maintenance fee bill obligations). If the resort will not accept a "deedback" (ask them very clearly and specifically and find out), then try to give it away for free and forget about paying any "cancellation" parasites. They don't possess any magic potions or know any secret procedures, no matter what they might claim to the contrary.

If you can first find a willing new recipient on your own, LT Transfers would handle all of the paperwork for about $150 (no lawyers required), not including any "transfer fee" which the resort might also require (sometimes none, often it's about $100, always lots more in the big "chains").

It's your choice and your decision, but I respectfully suggest that you keep that checkbook completely closed for now. Forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Read all these articles first. http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml

To see if your resort will take back the timeshare, you need to tell them you won't ever pay another MF. Ask them how much it will cost to transfer it back to them. They may tell you they cannot help you. Some people on this forum have called and spoken to different people several times until they got someone who would help them.

You can list it as a giveaway here. The articles above will explain what you need to do to transfer it to someone else. This can take several weeks or several months. You may want to pursue the resort taking it back and also post an ad here at the same time and then go with whichever one produces results first. You do have to be patient and relentless.

Ritamonte

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluebeards Castle Hilltop Villas
We would like to get rid of our timeshare. A company called National Cancellation and Transfer says that they can do a transfer or liquidation and get it out of our name and no longer have the timeshare in our name or have maintenance fees. They charge $1500.00 total fee from beginning to end. They are located in MO. They are rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They say they have a money back guarantee for their fee. I could not find any comsumer reviews for them. Are they a legit company? We just want out of our timeshare and maintenance fees even if it means taking a loss. At least we won't have to keep throwing good money after bad for something we do not use or want!!!![/QUOTE

Ritamonte

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We used Timeshare Nation. Ryan and LeeAnn were wonderful. They found someone to take over ownership in a timely manner. No up front cost. Payment due upon completion of transfer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you paying a yearly maintenance fee of $750, or are you still making monthly purchase payments?
They charge $1500.00 total fee from beginning to end.

Two more payments would be the cost of the company's fee.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you paying a yearly maintenance fee of $1,500, or are you still making monthly purchase payments?

I may have misread, but understood the OP to suggest that the $1,500 amount that the "cancellation" parasites want would be the monetary equivalent of the next two (presumably annual, at $750 per annum) maintenance fee bills. Only the OP can confirm or correct this. :shrug:

Good question though, since all bets are off regarding any sale, deedback or giveaway if there is still an outstanding loan balance.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Good eye Theo - I corrected my post.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Timeshare Nation. Ryan and LeeAnn were wonderful. They found someone to take over ownership in a timely manner. No up front cost. Payment due upon completion of transfer.

Out of curiousity and for a better frame of reference, payment of how much money was "due upon completion of transfer"?
Necessary info for "apples to apples" comparison of "deedback" costs (if even an option), transfer costs in a Bargain Deals "giveaway", etc. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ritamonte

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a deeded transfer our total cost was $1000. Which was the same price the resort was going to charge if we had a new owner to transfer to.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a deeded transfer our total cost was $1000. Which was the same price the resort was going to charge if we had a new owner to transfer to.

I'm admittedly confused here. A quick look (and then a second much longer look) at the Timeshare Nation web site seems to make no mention at all (unless I missed it) of how any individual owner might ever come to have their timeshare listed with Timeshare Nation in the first place.
I do not claim to know with any certainty, but am wondering if (Texas based) Timeshare Nation is essentially a PCC "disposal" outlet. :ponder:

The site seems focused on giving away unwanted timeshares (acquired via "trade ins" to resorts according to the site, but presumably also including PCC inventory as well, although that is not overtly stated), but there is absolutely no mention at all that I could see anywhere regarding individual owner(s) somehow getting their own unwanted interval(s) listed with Timeshare Nation.

Could you provide further details regarding your specific process and first hand experience with TN as a departing individual owner? :ponder:

Last edited:

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Flagship Resort and they said No, they do not take them back(NO surprise there)but they will send me the names of some companies that will help me sell it. Now, if I list it and it sells, then what? If I were to list in on TUG or Ebay and someone wanted it then what should I do next? Get a lawyer?...Title company?...What? I don't know what to do next(?) I see timeshares exactly like mine on both sites. Also I don't want to pay another maintenance fee. So that's why I was thinking using a third party - hopefully to expidite the whole process!!! I do not have a mortgage. My maintenance fee is $798.00. National Cancellation says if they don't complete the process within 12 months, you get a full refund. They sent me their contract. I am not able to upload it here but will copy and paste it. I also contacted the Attorney General's office of MO. They advised to proceed with caution as these companies can be fly-by-night and disappear. They did not have any consumer reviews/complaints.
"Dear Consumer,
Thank you for your recent inquiry. We currently have 0 complaints and inquiries filed against National Cancellation and Transfer. Unfortunately, our office cannot comment on the legitimacy of a company. We do advise you to be cautious of those companies who just call you up out of the blue promising to get ride or transfer your timeshare. We find complaints on companies such as these in general who promise you that they will take care of everything, collect a large sum of your money and give you a time frame of when they will take care of all of this for you. Then six months pass or more and you realize that they have not done anything and you are still paying maintenance fees and then you are unable to locate these companies who took all of your money. We always advise you to contact a private attorney and find out what your options are and have the attorney review your contract and see If there are any discrepancies and find out if there is a way to get out of your timeshare/travel club.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact this office at 1-800-392-8222 or by email at consumer.help@ago.mo.gov .
Sincerely,
Consumer Protection Division
Missouri Attorney General’s Office "

Please keep input coming. I will probably list it and attempt to sell it on my own first. Then I guess get a lawyer.(more money). Thanks for the responses. @Ritamonte, I will also look into Timeshare Nation. Thank you.

Ritamonte

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm admittedly confused here. A quick look (and then a second much longer look) at the Timeshare Nation web site seems to make no mention at all (unless I missed it) of how any individual owner might ever come to have their timeshare listed with Timeshare Nation in the first place.
I do not claim to know with any certainty, but am wondering if (Texas based) Timeshare Nation is essentially a PCC "disposal" outlet. :ponder:

The site seems focused on giving away unwanted timeshares (acquired via "trade ins" to resorts according to the site, but presumably also including PCC inventory as well, although that is not overtly stated), but there is absolutely no mention at all that I could see anywhere regarding individual owner(s) somehow getting their own unwanted interval(s) listed with Timeshare Nation.

Could you provide further details regarding your specific process and first hand experience with TN as a departing individual owner? :ponder:

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no way to know how long it might take to sell or give away your timeshare. Even if you listed it in the "Bargain Deals" forum on TUG for free and you find a willing recipient, it might take a few months from start to finish --- that's still considerably better than never.

Paying any "exit / relief / escape / release" parasite entity $1,500 upfront will almost certainly be a complete waste of your money that will yield no results. You will be "out" the money and you will still have your timeshare (and its' maintenance fee bill obligations). If the resort will not accept a "deedback" (ask them very clearly and specifically and find out), then try to give it away for free and forget about paying any "cancellation" parasites. They don't possess any magic potions or know any secret procedures, no matter what they might claim to the contrary.

If you can first find a willing new recipient on your own, LT Transfers would handle all of the paperwork for about $150 (no lawyers required), not including any "transfer fee" which the resort might also require (sometimes none, often it's about $100, always lots more in the big "chains").

It's your choice and your decision, but I respectfully suggest that you keep that checkbook completely closed for now. Forewarned is forearmed.

@theo
What is LT Transfers?

Ritamonte

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I contacted them from their website and posted to their Facebook page.
www.timesharenation.com.

They responded quickly and were very helpful

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@theo
What is LT Transfers?

Acronym for Legal Timeshare Transfers, a resale timeshare closing company located in Georgia and used by many people on this site. Competent, reliable, inexpensive. You don't need a lawyer to complete a transfer.

On the matter of lawyers, do not believe for even one moment that any lawyer can somehow perform a "magic exit" act for you, just because they have a law degree. It just ain't so. Attorneys are lawyers --- they are not magicians.

LTT can't and won't find you a willing new recipient; that is entirely your own problem and issue to solve first, but if / when you find a willing new "grantee", LT Transfers can handle virtually everything else for you and your new willing recipient.

Look at eBay, RedWeek.com, TUG Marketplace to see if you can find any comparable weeks at your facility being offered for sale. Be prepared to learn that your interval may actually have absolutely no value whatsoever in the resale market. Do some homework, maybe you'll be lucky.

Last edited:

jerzgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may have misread, but understood the OP to suggest that the $1,500 amount that the "cancellation" parasites want would be the monetary equivalent of the next two (presumably annual, at $750 per annum) maintenance fee bills. Only the OP can confirm or correct this. :shrug:

Good question though, since all bets are off regarding any sale, deedback or giveaway if there is still an outstanding loan balance.

Correct. What I was saying was either way it would be $1500.00. National Cancellation said there would be no other fees(exit or otherwise). My maintenance fee is $798.00, biannually. No loan balance and fees up to date.