• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting out of RCI

sgosline

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering dropping our RCI membership but I am confused about what would happen to our "points". We own 3 timeshare weeks. Years ago a salesperson talked us into converting one of our weeks into points. Now we have 2 "weeks" that are in the points system and one that is still in the weeks system. Are the points specific to RCI or the resort that is associated with the points?

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would talk to the resort to which the points are tied. I am not an expert but believe you will have to convert back to weeks thus dropping your points account. Then you would be free to drop RCI and use your week or trade it with other trading companies. I had a points week at one time and converted it back to a weeks account as that worked best for me. My resort handled all this for me.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I am considering dropping our RCI membership but I am confused about what would happen to our "points". We own 3 timeshare weeks. Years ago a salesperson talked us into converting one of our weeks into points. Now we have 2 "weeks" that are in the points system and one that is still in the weeks system. Are the points specific to RCI or the resort that is associated with the points?

Unless paying the annual fee to belong to RCI is a financial burden I would strongly recommend not dropping RCI. You can pay for 3 years at once to get the maximum discount on the annual fee.

There is a lot more inventory available to point week owners than to fixed week owners. Even with points you can still elect to use "your week at your resort", you just have to plan ahead to avoid paying the exchange fee. If you convert those point weeks back to fixed weeks the only way to get them back to points again is to spend another big chunk of money. Also if at some point down the road you want to get rid of your deeds there are a lot more people who want point weeks than fixed weeks.

Another reason to keep your RCI membership is the ability to book those sale weeks with no points or TPU's. There are currently two different sales going on, $199 for Fall weeks and $229 for Winter weeks. The sales have been going on for several days so might be a little picked over at this point but there are still a lot of great stays available. We've used several of those sale weeks for ourselves already this year and I have a couple more I'm considering. If you have any younger family, cousins, nieces, nephews, those sale weeks even with the $79 guest fee are amazingly cheap vacations for them and you don't have to use any of your points or TPUs. Most young couples and families would be thrilled to have a week in a one or two bedroom condo at a nice resort for around $300. If you've read in other posts about RCI and renting consider it this way: you aren't charging your family for the week, they are giving you a gift to thank you for booking them a great vacation. Timeshare ownerships were purchased by most of us to benefit our families. Some people are in a financial position to be able to treat everyone in their families to vacations but most people probably aren't. Another very important consideration is that if family members are "gifting" you the equivalent amount of the booking and guest fees they are less likely to leave you stuck with a week they suddenly decide they no longer want. We love our families but they can be trial at times!

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Unless paying the annual fee to belong to RCI is a financial burden I would strongly recommend not dropping RCI. You can pay for 3 years at once to get the maximum discount on the annual fee.

There is a lot more inventory available to point week owners than to fixed week owners. Even with points you can still elect to use "your week at your resort", you just have to plan ahead to avoid paying the exchange fee. If you convert those point weeks back to fixed weeks the only way to get them back to points again is to spend another big chunk of money. Also if at some point down the road you want to get rid of your deeds there are a lot more people who want point weeks than fixed weeks.

Another reason to keep your RCI membership is the ability to book those sale weeks. There are currently two different sales going on, $199 for Fall weeks and $229 for Winter weeks

( * ) Another very important consideration is that if family members are "gifting" you the equivalent amount of the booking and guest fees they are less likely to leave you stuck with a week they suddenly decide they no longer want. We love our families but they can be trial at times!

Jan makes some great points - on good ways to use RCI

RE ( * ) - as my father in law used to say - you can choose your friends - but your stuck with your relatives

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have been keeping both RCI and II just for the Extra Vacations / Getaways. The prices for these are generally less than the the cost of MF + Exchange fees to go to a resort. We have the no pay unless you go at Mayan World and I can often snag an extra vacation for less than the cost of my MF to go there.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took one of my timeshares out of RCI points by calling my resort and telling them I wanted to do it. When you make the switch, it could take a year to happen if your timeshare just put the points into RCI, but it was an easy and short phone call. Since you would have had to pay a large chunk of money to convert to points in the first place, see if you can get it to work before dropping it from points.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Other reasons to keep it in Points... the exchange fee to book a different week at your home resort is a lot lower than the standard fee. And - more valuable to me because of the group my resort belongs to - if your resort is part of a group, you get a jump on reservations in that group...I believe 10-11 months in advance vs 10 months or less.