• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gave up on RCI- went with exchange person-to-person with TUG

Are there a lot of people who want to swap time shares?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mlmacey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Beards Castle (St.Thomas) and High Dunes (Kill Devil Hills NC)
Hi there- Ive been an RCI owner for over 20 years- Over the last 10 years I think the availability of what I want, when I want it, has floundered greatly. So I found TUG- and then looked to see if there was anyone willing to swap their time share for one of mine. Lo and behold I found someone quickly- We swapped their NOLA for my St. Thomas- Both of us happy! No extra fees for exchanging- no setting on dates we didn't want- We were able to swap the places- regardless of date, no problem. The couple I swapped with have already taken their Virgin Islands vacation and stayed at Blue Beards Castle- which they thoroughly enjoyed. I am going to NOLA in a few weeks and hoping I will love their place, Chateau Orleans.
I decided to let my RCI membership lapse- so I am hoping I will be able to find more people who want to exchange person to person.
Since we wont be using our OBS place this October- hope to find someone willing to swap for that too.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Direct exchanges work great, when they work. You just need to find someone who wants exactly what you have and you want exactly what they have.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have always been able to get what I want with II but not with RCI. Because of the increasing fees to join and make trades I have been trying to change my portfolio to what I will mostly use, still trading but not as much.

Very open to one on one trades. Also open to permanently trading. Recently I listed on tug one to give away but also listed to permanently trade. It went fast as a give away. Have a few more that I will be listing both ways.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have had successful TUG exchanges I like them better than exchange companies, but still do both.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had good luck years ago with direct TUG exchanges, but since the website methodology for listing them has changed, not even one inquiry!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I had good luck years ago with direct TUG exchanges, but since the website methodology for listing them has changed, not even one inquiry!
Do you think how it changed made it more difficult? Why if yes?

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't considered TUG exchanges. We have had great luck with our II exchanges, but if that ever changes I'll look directly to TUG.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I find that most people are unrealistic.

With a timeshare company exchange you can get an upgrade (unit size, location and/or quality of resort). I've seen too many private exchange ads looking for an upgrade (instead of like for like).

For example
Offering an off season week for prime week (instead of offering an equivalent season)
Offering a one bedroom for a two bedroom (instead of offering a two bedroom)
Offering an easy exchange destination (like Orlando) for a high end resort or high demand location.
Offering an average quality timeshare resort for a top tier timeshare resort

Of course there are some exceptions, but most times private exchanges really only work for like for like. I've seen far too many TUG requests offering something in exchange for an upgrade. And some multiresort owners will try to give up their least valuable week first in an attempt to get an upgraded private exchange. When I owned Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara I received all types of private exchange offers.

Last edited:

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think how it changed made it more difficult? Why if yes?
I think it might be because before it was easier to find a specific location. The unit I had advertised was in Sedona, and I always got lots of inquiries because lots of people want to exchange into Sedona.

In the new system, if you are looking for Sedona, for example, you go to USA West and scroll through every resort covering a very wide geographic area. Unless you figure out how to work the filters (which I just now found) in which case I guess you can search by city. I'm still getting used to the how all the features of the new platform work, and my guess is that many others are in the same boat. And if most people are like me and it seems like too much work, I'd have to be serious about it, not just checking to see what is available. Less traffic = less exchange opportunities.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I think I"m going to give this a try for winter 2018/2019. I'll see if someone has a Colorado or Utah ski week that I want and would like to trade for a week in San Francisco or Napa.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have exchanged through TUG with great success. TUG's exchange ad put us in touch with owners in Ohio. The transaction was handled with a one-page contract, emailed confirmation of the reservations made in each other's names as guests, and no financial considerations. It is hard to find the right trade with folks who are straight up and honest, but I think one's chances of finding that through TUG are much higher than elsewhere. I would definitely do a direct exchange through TUG again!