• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frying Pan to Fire???

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very new to timesharing since we haven't used what we bought yet. We bought a 1 br at Grandview Las Vegas (fixed week 23, every other even year). Paid full retail Uugh! but what's done is done. We received and additional week certificate but I'm finding out everyone has these and are only for use as last minute option with a 2-45 day booking window through RCI at the RCI exchange rate.

Since then we have deposited our Grandview week for 2018 and received a (TPU) trading power unit of 16. We are trying to figure out how best to use this to exchange into other locations. We love the beach and lots of areas throughout Florida, Playa Del Carmen and the Caribbean. Most of these locations require a little higher TPU to exchange into than 16 especially if we want to be on a beach, with the exception of Mexico not requiring as high of a TPU to exchange but most all I'm finding in Mexico area have All Inclusive fees.

So does it make sense to find another timeshare to buy (can't believe I just typed that) inexpensively with low maint. fees for the sole purpose of depositing with RCI for more TPU's so that we could get that TPU number up to 30+?????

It would be nice to have a higher TPU so we could have more 2 bedroom or larger options to exchange into so we could travel with family or friends. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have 6 timeshare weeks. All of them bought resale. The places we own are at places that we like to visit. They are very easy to trade. We have been exchanging thru TUG lately and that is going well so far for us. My advice would be buy a week resale at a place that you would want to go if you couldn't exchange. We bought thru TUG, Sumday Vacations too. Take your time, you can find the right place at the right price. Enjoy your new timeshare. If you have any questions you can pm me.
Silentg

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you purchase another week you will be able to (for a fee) combine the TPU's of the 2 weeks. When you add the cost of the 2 weeks maintenance fees + the cost of combining the TPU's, the exchange fee, RCI membership fee... it adds up. As you have found out a TPU of 16 is not very high unless you are willing to take your chances and book last minute, or when RCI has a sale.

We kept our low TPU (worth 26) week to use, and purchased (for closing costs) a points (77K) week that allows us to add vacations to our week or take multiple vacations. We have had as many as 6 weeks of vacations from the 2 combined. When you get 4 or so vacations out of 1 maintenance fee it doesn't seem so bad. The added benefit of being able to book up to 14 days worth of points with 1 exchange fee is pretty good too!

~Diane

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 6 timeshare weeks. All of them bought resale. The places we own are at places that we like to visit. They are very easy to trade. We have been exchanging thru TUG lately and that is going well so far for us. My advice would be buy a week resale at a place that you would want to go if you couldn't exchange. We bought thru TUG, Sumday Vacations too. Take your time, you can find the right place at the right price. Enjoy your new timeshare. If you have any questions you can pm me.
Silentg

Wow 6 weeks! I Ike the sound of that. This seems to be a consistent attitude of buying TS where you wan to visit? Makes sense in the event that you don't exchange it sometimes. We were just always under the impression that you always deposited your weeks of ownship into RCI to exchange into wherever and whenever you want to go.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow 6 weeks! I Ike the sound of that. This seems to be a consistent attitude of buying TS where you wan to visit? Makes sense in the event that you don't exchange it sometimes. We were just always under the impression that you always deposited your weeks of ownship into RCI to exchange into wherever and whenever you want to go.

Some people do that, but people like me have bought where we like to go and at places that don't require airfare to get to them. I rarely exchange, if ever, my two fixed and one floating week. When I do, I use the small independent exchange companies with free membership and lower exchange fees where I can search BEFORE I deposit my week. BUT- they do not have a lot of inventory. All other vacations I rent from other timeshare owners, or from Home Away or directly from a resort or hotel.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just always under the impression that you always deposited your weeks of ownership into RCI to exchange into wherever and whenever you want to go.

Deposit and exchange is an optional, individual choice. Some people never deposit and exchange at all and don't even choose to have a membership in an exchange company at all. Others only exchange and have never even actually seen their "home" resort.
Some folks alternate between using their intervals and exchanging their intervals. It's whatever floats your particular individual boat.

To address your above statement which I've highlighted in blue just for focus on that one point, deposit for exchange provides no guaranty that you can just "exchange into wherever and whenever you want to go". There must first be available space to exchange into "where and when you want to go", as determined by simple supply and demand. If there ain't no space available there when you want to go, then there ain't nuthin' there to exchange into in the first place.

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you purchase another week you will be able to (for a fee) combine the TPU's of the 2 weeks. When you add the cost of the 2 weeks maintenance fees + the cost of combining the TPU's, the exchange fee, RCI membership fee... it adds up. As you have found out a TPU of 16 is not very high unless you are willing to take your chances and book last minute, or when RCI has a sale.

We kept our low TPU (worth 26) week to use, and purchased (for closing costs) a points (77K) week that allows us to add vacations to our week or take multiple vacations. We have had as many as 6 weeks of vacations from the 2 combined. When you get 4 or so vacations out of 1 maintenance fee it doesn't seem so bad. The added benefit of being able to book up to 14 days worth of points with 1 exchange fee is pretty good too!

~Diane

I agree that adds up, right now I put our costs at $100 for RCI membership, $192 for maint. Fees at grandview Las Vegas, and $229 when we exchange through RCI. so at about $500 for a week isn't bad except 16 TPU doesn't get you very much.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deposit and exchange is an optional, individual choice. Some people never deposit and exchange at all and don't even choose to have a membership in an exchange company at all. Others only exchange and have never even actually seen their "home" resort.
Some folks alternate between using their intervals and exchanging their intervals. It's whatever floats your particular individual boat.

To comment on your blue highlighted statement above, deposit and exchange has no guarantees that you can just "exchange into wherever and whenever you want to go". There must first be available space to exchange into "where and when you want to go", something which is obviously determined by supply and demand. If there ain't no space, there ain't nuthin' to exchange into.

That's funny I didn't even now that I highlighted that section in blue. You make a great point. I have really enjoyed this forum for all its expertise and advice.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that adds up, right now I put our costs at $100 for RCI membership, $192 for maint. Fees at grandview Las Vegas, and $229 when we exchange through RCI. so at about $500 for a week isn't bad except 16 TPU doesn't get you very much.
True. 16 is not a lot of TPU, but you are not depositing exactly the Taj Mahal either. The whole 'exchanging' thing is built on trading 'like-for-like'. Sure, there have been people who have exchanged a 1 bedroom mud-week in Podunk for a 2 bedroom, prime week ocean front in Hawaii, but I'm here to tell you, THAT doesn't happen often. If you want to have top trades, you have to deposit top weeks to get them.

Whether you acquire more TPUs through buying (resale) more weeks or adding to your Grandview ownership, is your prerogative, but that's how you get prime exchanges.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of us here have refined our ownership over the years. That means WHAT and HOW we vacationed 10 years ago is different now. I have fixed deeded summer beach weeks that I am more than willing to sell/give away; I know I want to downsize the number of Wyndham points I own. And it is NOT because these are undesirable fixed weeks or Wyndham points (the UDI deeds have great ARP resorts), it is because how I hoped to used those ownerships isn't happening because I am still stuck WORKING FULL TIME up north. And looks like it might be another 5-8 years before becoming a 'lazy, retired old snowbird'.

Look at WHERE your 'future' ownerships have exchanging options. Chains resorts (like Wyndham, Marriott, Starwood) have just 1 exchange company (either RCI or II). I own multiple weeks at a resort associated with RCI and II along with their management company's associated trading platform. Lockoff units allow for 2 deposits into an exchange company ... where in RCI you might get MORE TPUs for depositing each side separately but II is pretty rigid in "like for like". So my resort with RCI TPUs, depositing 2/2 L/O units separately ... say 2 weeks as 4 units (2 1/1 & 2ST) might yield me a 80 TPUs but only 60 TPUs when I deposit the 2 weeks as 2 units (as full 2/2). My current MFs for each 2/2 units is $886. (or for both units $1772). And depositing last minute (within several months before checkin) gives you LESS exchanging 'value'.

You really have to do the math ... and then understand, the math can & will CHANGE. TPUs can change based on RCI 'demand index' calculations ... time of year you deposit ... when any holiday is early or late in the year being deposited. Your MFs will go UP (never down) plus resorts may have weather damaged or need a special assessment (change of resort affiliation, poor resort management over the years, etc).

I have known MANY owners years ago, who do not travel now. I have friends who used to go on vacation for 6-8 weeks yearly, now staying for only HALF that time ... common reasons are "doctors' appointments" or having to travel with a younger family member or TOO far to drive, now flying & needed to rent a car (more $$).

I have truly enjoyed and met some wonderful fellow owners. Younger or way older ... true stories are way more interesting than TV shows.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your looking for another week so you can combine your TPU's with RCI (with low MF fees) check here on TUG at the weeks in the Bargain Basement deals. Most are FREE and offer you the opportunity to add to your 16 TPU's.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your looking for another week so you can combine your TPU's with RCI (with low MF fees) check here on TUG at the weeks in the Bargain Basement deals. Most are FREE and offer you the opportunity to add to your 16 TPU's.

Good idea, I have been checking the bargain basement deals right here on TUG and that is what prompted me down this thought path. Since I already own a 1BR biennial on the even years at Grandview should I buy more Grandview weeks? My original thought was yes maybe find a another biennial on the odd year. That would be about $380 MF per year plus another 16 TPU so I could combine the weeks in RCI for about 30-32 TPU if I deposited far enough in advance????

MF's + RCI membership + RCI exchange fee + combining deposits fee = about $800??? Wow wish I was better at math. I see where it night be better to find a bigger TS like 2br unit or the lock off units which I'm not sure that I understand what that really means and is that dependent on the resort or location?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are may not be good TPU values to MFs.

Remember, you are paying 2 years worth of MFs (380+380=760) for those 16 TPUs. I believe one of my RCI weeks, fetch close to 60 TPUs for $880 MFs.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are may not be good TPU values to MFs.

Remember, you are paying 2 years worth of MFs (380+380=760) for those 16 TPUs. I believe one of my RCI weeks, fetch close to 60 TPUs for $880 MFs.

I see what you mean, the Grandview ones may not fetch the highest TPU. My MF are only $187 but I have a even year only 1br so still only worth 16 TPU and I can only deposit every other year. The $380 MF is if I owned the 1BR week every year, but I think I understand your point and I agree may be best to find a bargain buy that will fetch a higher TPU knowing I may have to spend more on MF but with a better value? I like yours at the 60 TPU:thumbup:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand how the points work, can anyone explain? Here is what I think I know:

1. You buy points and use them to trade into a system like RCI, II, or the bigger chain resorts?

2. Do you pay MF's on the points?

3.Can you use the points anywhere? Or do you have to stay within the point system that you bought?

4. When I am in my RCI account their is no mention of points or their values? Is this because I only have a fixed deeded week that I own or have deposited into RCI?

How long did it take all of you to figure out all the ins and outs of this TS business? I love all the advice.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand how the points work, can anyone explain? Here is what I think I know:

1. You buy points and use them to trade into a system like RCI, II, or the bigger chain resorts?
What specific "flavor" of points are you referring to? RCI? Wyndham? Something else? (Hyatt, BlueGreen, HGVC, DRI, etc.)?
All of them differ greatly from one another and none of them correlate in any way to any of the other's "currency" value.

Whatever version or flavor of "points you own, there are always maintenance fees.

3.Can you use the points anywhere? Or do you have to stay within the point system that you bought?
We're back to question 1. the answer to which determines everything else. RCI Points (which are still associated with an underlying deed) can be used only at RCI affiliated resorts. Wyndham points can only be used at Wyndham resorts, although Wyndham points can be deposited into a RCI account. Confused yet? Hyatt, Bluegreen. etc. points are all usable only within Hyatt, Bluegreen, etc. respective internal systems.

4. When I am in my RCI account their is no mention of points or their values? Is this because I only have a fixed deeded week that I own or have deposited into RCI?
If you have a deeded fixed week which has not been "converted" to "RCI Points", then that week does not have a "RCI Points" value at all. Such fixed weeks instead have "TPU's", which (although still a RCI "value" creation) are actually not at all the same thing as "RCI Points". Converting a deeded fixed week to "RCI Points" usually costs between $2,800 -- $4,500 and is only even an available option at resorts "in RCI Points" in the first place --- not all are. Option or not, any such "conversion" is never worth that expense. It's just a contrived resort "money grab", IMnsHO.

How long did it take all of you to figure out all the ins and outs of this TS business? I love all the advice.
It's a learning process and a moving target for anyone and everyone. Rules and values can (and do) also change. 5 years ago, for example, TPU's did not even exist at all in RCI for deeded weeks. TPU's certainly exist now, but RCI can (and does) change them on occasion --- and without notice. We all learn from each other; it's an ongoing exercise. Hang in there, read and digest, ask questions. Folks here will always help if / when they can do so.

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score

What specific "flavor" of points are you referring to? RCI? Wyndham? Something else? (Hyatt, BlueGreen, HGVC, DRI, etc.)?
All of them differ greatly from one another and none of them correlate in any way to any of the other's "currency" value.

Whatever version or flavor of "points you own, there are always maintenance fees.

We're back to question 1. the answer to which determines everything else. RCI Points can be used only at RCI affiliated resorts. Wyndham points can only be used at Wyndham resorts, although Wyndham points can be deposited into a RCI account. Confused yet? Hyatt, Bluegreen. etc. points are all usable only within Hyatt, Bluegreen, etc. respective internal systems.

If you have a deeded fixed week which has not been "converted" to "RCI Points", then that week does not have a "RCI Points" value at all.
Such fixed weeks instead have "TPU's", which (although still a RCI "value" creation) are actually not at all the same thing as "RCI Points".

It's a learning process and a moving target for anyone and everyone. Rules and values can (and do) also change. 5 years ago, for example, TPU's did not even exist at all in RCI for deeded weeks. TPU's certainly exist now, but RCI can (and does) change them on occasion and without notice. We all learn from each other; it's an ongoing experience. Hang in there, read and digest, ask questions. Folks here will help if / when they can.

Holy crap if I didn't have to work today this would be enough to go grab a beer and watch a movie! Whew lots to take in, just read the whole post on "points vs. Traditional Timeshare" in this section as well. But seriously Theo and all thanks for the input.

So we are back to your response to my question number 1, how do I figure out the difference between the various flavors of points? by region, by value or dollar cost? Do we just go to each ones web site? (RCI, Wyndham, Hyatt, BlueGreen, HGVC, DRI)

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...how do I figure out the difference between the various flavors of points? by region, by value or dollar cost? Do we just go to each ones web site? (RCI, Wyndham, Hyatt, BlueGreen, HGVC, DRI)

Seems to me from your initial post in this thread that you have already bought quite heavily into RCI affiliation, so it's likely not even worth bothering going sideways into the merits or shortcomings of the other assorted unrelated systems --- unless you maybe want to seek and find a sizable Wyndham points package at relatively low cost and with reasonable maintenance fees. Just my subjective personal opinion. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me from your initial post in this thread that you have already bought quite heavily into RCI affiliation, so it's likely not even worth bothering going sideways into the merits or shortcomings of the other assorted unrelated systems --- unless you maybe want to seek and find a sizable Wyndham points package at relatively low cost and with reasonable maintenance fees. Just my subjective personal opinion. YMMV. :shrug:

If you mean bought heavily into RCI this is true because we paid full retail for the 1br Grandview biennial even years unit. But we do like to travel and I was just trying to understand and figure out the differences between the two basic TS options. As well as how to maximize what we already have by adding to the TPU value for an option for better weeks to travel and/or bigger units to stay in while we travel so family and friends could potentially travel with us. Right now we are only into the RCI system for a $100 membership fee and a Grandview unit that has a yearly MF of $187. So just trying to painfully figure out if it makes more sense to add to what we have by way of fixed weeks whether that is every year, every other year, or we have even seen some every 3 year options out there or look at buying some points in a system that offers us better weeks and/or bigger units to stay in while we travel. Hope this makes sense, sorry I am probably being redundant.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have a big ongoing bill for the little timeshare you own. You should LEARN way more ... locations, life style you are willing to pay for, size unit you MUST have (not want, but need), and general locations ... location is big topic to figure out.

Why the location?
Many 'experts' will tell you to buy where you will vacation 2 out of 3 years OR if you need a location EVERY year. That might work if you like the 'same old, same old' place. If you are an explorer who wants a NEW. EXCITING PLACE every year, then you want good trading value. If you are a luxury "must have" person ... figure you will be owning a Marriott (and like hotel brands/chains) affiliated place with higher MFs and buy in costs. Wyndham is a large timeshare chain .. but using the points for hotels or airfare (bad numbers .. costs too much), you would have to buy directly from the developer (MORE $$$$) and the conversion rate is NOT favorable to the timeshare owner.

So plan on using the timeshares for vacation stays ... not airfares or hotel rooms, for example.

Level of comfort? Wyndham is middle of the road. The resort's finishes at Marriott's are higher end... and the front desk staff looks nicer. Doesn't mean that Marriott's are cleaner or better locations. Wyndham has more timeshare locations and way more unit. All have sofabeds (except Wyndham Presidential Reverse units) and a king size bed is in most MBR. Marriott's refurbishment cycle on their units might be a year or two early than the Wyndham resorts. Stainless steel might be all the Marriott's appliance packages; Wyndham will most likely NOT be stainless. At VRI resorts, the appliances will most likely be white or black. Beds will be another level of comfort as will the sheets. Dishes or pots & pan will reflect different finishes...based upon the budget of which chain you will be staying at.

Personally, on vacation, I rather NOT cook but reheat. A glass for my beverage should hold 12-16 ounces and my coffee cup should hold 12 ounces also. My plate should not be paper and must fit well in the DW.

I can usually figure out in 15 minutes or less, when looking over a timeshare I have not visited before, if I want to stay there. Dropped in on a resort which I could have booked thru an exchange company while in the Ft Lauderdale area. It was an older resort, good location (near beach), older furniture, smaller rooms (more of a converted motel) .. but when I opened the electrical panel box, it was rusty INSIDE the box and around the circuit breakers. The panel box was in a closet in the middle of the unit ... not on an outside wall. No way did I want to sleep where the electrical box and wiring had been subjected to SALT WATER intrusion. And that was the end of my checking out that unit and that resort.

PS The first timeshare I bought, was off via eBay. I walked in and start crying .. it was that bad. Ugly, old, ratty .. great location .. but it was PINK .. the kitchen cabinets & appliances, the flowery plastic LR furniture, the worn out cheap wall-to-wall carpets and worn out DR and BDR furniture. But as my nice sister, kept repeating .. it looks REALLY CLEAN. Clean yes; Ugly YES!

I learned the next morning while I was waiting for the elevator ... there was a sample unit on the top floor showing a 'remodeled' unit. It was beautiful and the special assessments had already been paid. A year later .. the entire resort look like that model.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

This would seem like a good approach for the OP to seriously consider, IMnsHO. OP seems to have little or no interest in a home resort but instead has a goal to acquire more TPU's to increase trading power. As long as the additional TPU's are enough to achieve OP's objective when combined with what OP already has, this would seem to be a potential win / win for both buyer and seller / donor. The 16 TPU's OP currently has, by themselves, are rarely (if ever) going to acquire much in any of the places OP has identified as potential travel destinations.

I would advise "putting the end first". More specifically, I would first conduct a "TPU test" on a few potential specific resorts / destinations to learn their specific TPU requirements. I would then look at the TPU's (and maintenance fee costs) of RCI-affiliated Bargain Deal offerings.
With all of that info in hand to examine (and consider along with the 16 TPU's already in hand to "combine"), OP can then really see if the numbers will actually "work" for OP's goals.

One limitation (if it even matters at all to the OP) is that a RCI TPU focus / approach necessarily means locking into full weeks, as opposed to the partial weeks (potentially, anyhow) available through "points" in either RCI or Wyndham.

Just offering a few thoughts, perhaps to be taken with a grain of salt since we no longer "exchange". It has been a few years now since we have chosen to either maintain a RCI membership or play the "exchange game" at all. We now simply use our remaining deeded fixed weeks. :shrug:

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have a big ongoing bill for the little timeshare you own. You should LEARN way more ... locations, life style you are willing to pay for, size unit you MUST have (not want, but need), and general locations ... location is big topic to figure out.

Why the location?
Many 'experts' will tell you to buy where you will vacation 2 out of 3 years OR if you need a location EVERY year. That might work if you like the 'same old, same old' place. If you are an explorer who wants a NEW. EXCITING PLACE every year, then you want good trading value. If you are a luxury "must have" person ... figure you will be owning a Marriott (and like hotel brands/chains) affiliated place with higher MFs and buy in costs. Wyndham is a large timeshare chain .. but using the points for hotels or airfare (bad numbers .. costs too much), you would have to buy directly from the developer (MORE $$$$) and the conversion rate is NOT favorable to the timeshare owner.

So plan on using the timeshares for vacation stays ... not airfares or hotel rooms, for example.

Level of comfort? Wyndham is middle of the road. The resort's finishes at Marriott's are higher end... and the front desk staff looks nicer. Doesn't mean that Marriott's are cleaner or better locations. Wyndham has more timeshare locations and way more unit. All have sofabeds (except Wyndham Presidential Reverse units) and a king size bed is in most MBR. Marriott's refurbishment cycle on their units might be a year or two early than the Wyndham resorts. Stainless steel might be all the Marriott's appliance packages; Wyndham will most likely NOT be stainless. At VRI resorts, the appliances will most likely be white or black. Beds will be another level of comfort as will the sheets. Dishes or pots & pan will reflect different finishes...based upon the budget of which chain you will be staying at.

Personally, on vacation, I rather NOT cook but reheat. A glass for my beverage should hold 12-16 ounces and my coffee cup should hold 12 ounces also. My plate should not be paper and must fit well in the DW.

I can usually figure out in 15 minutes or less, when looking over a timeshare I have not visited before, if I want to stay there. Dropped in on a resort which I could have booked thru an exchange company while in the Ft Lauderdale area. It was an older resort, good location (near beach), older furniture, smaller rooms (more of a converted motel) .. but when I opened the electrical panel box, it was rusty INSIDE the box and around the circuit breakers. The panel box was in a closet in the middle of the unit ... not on an outside wall. No way did I want to sleep where the electrical box and wiring had been subjected to SALT WATER intrusion. And that was the end of my checking out that unit and that resort.

PS The first timeshare I bought, was off via eBay. I walked in and start crying .. it was that bad. Ugly, old, ratty .. great location .. but it was PINK .. the kitchen cabinets & appliances, the flowery plastic LR furniture, the worn out cheap wall-to-wall carpets and worn out DR and BDR furniture. But as my nice sister, kept repeating .. it looks REALLY CLEAN. Clean yes; Ugly YES!

I learned the next morning while I was waiting for the elevator ... there was a sample unit on the top floor showing a 'remodeled' unit. It was beautiful and the special assessments had already been paid. A year later .. the entire resort look like that model.

This is good advice, thanks vacationhopeful!

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would seem like a good approach for the OP to seriously consider, IMnsHO. OP seems to have little or no interest in a home resort but instead has a goal to acquire more TPU's to increase trading power. As long as the additional TPU's are enough to achieve OP's objective when combined with what OP already has, this would seem to be a potential win / win for both buyer and seller / donor. The 16 TPU's OP currently has, by themselves, are rarely (if ever) going to acquire much in any of the places OP has identified as potential travel destinations.

I would advise "putting the end first". More specifically, I would first conduct a "TPU test" on a few potential specific resorts / destinations to learn their specific TPU requirements. I would then look at the TPU's (and maintenance fee costs) of RCI-affiliated Bargain Deal offerings.
With all of that info in hand to examine (and consider along with the 16 TPU's already in hand to "combine"), OP can then really see if the numbers will actually "work" for OP's goals.

One limitation (if it even matters at all to the OP) is that a RCI TPU focus / approach necessarily means locking into full weeks, as opposed to the partial weeks (potentially, anyhow) available through "points" in either RCI or Wyndham.

Just offering a few thoughts, perhaps to be taken with a grain of salt since we no longer "exchange". It has been a few years now since we have chosen to either maintain a RCI membership or play the "exchange game" at all. We now simply use our remaining deeded fixed weeks. :shrug:

Thanks Theo for all the advice and to others as well. I will keep looking, reading and researching locations to potentially purchase most likely from the bargain area to add to our current TPU for better trading power. I do agree with you 16 TPU is not enough to go to some of the more desirable beach locations. As we get older maybe our needs, wants and desire will change and we may want to just go to the same spot for our week/weeks. One thing that my lovely bride and I can agree on is we are tired of Minnesota winters and always thought we would buy somewhere in Florida but now we kind of like the thought of just traveling away from MN from Jan-March. So offsetting this plan with a few weeks of TS travels and maybe even a few weeks of TS rentals, is a thought provided the numbers make sense?

I know we are all over the board so thanks to everyone for their patience.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Theo for all the advice and to others as well. I will keep looking, reading and researching locations to potentially purchase most likely from the bargain area to add to our current TPU for better trading power. I do agree with you 16 TPU is not enough to go to some of the more desirable beach locations. As we get older maybe our needs, wants and desire will change and we may want to just go to the same spot for our week/weeks. One thing that my lovely bride and I can agree on is we are tired of Minnesota winters and always thought we would buy somewhere in Florida but now we kind of like the thought of just traveling away from MN from Jan-March. So offsetting this plan with a few weeks of TS travels and maybe even a few weeks of TS rentals, is a thought provided the numbers make sense?

I know we are all over the board so thanks to everyone for their patience.

There is no shortage of knowledge or experience (...or opinions ;)) on this site, so don't ever hesitate to ask questions as they might arise.

One thought I don't see having been previously mentioned within this particular thread is that (at least for now) Wyndham will actually take back (...some, not all) unwanted timeshares within their system, under a "deedback" program they call "Ovation". It's been in place only since 2015 and how long it will continue to exist as an available option is truthfully known to no one. You might well be inclined to ask "so what?", but the fact is that timeshares are always relatively easy to acquire, but often quite difficult to get rid of. "Ovation" is therefore a noteworthy program, which only a "deep pockets" corporation like Wyndham could possibly afford to offer on a "open door policy" basis. No small independent resort could ever afford to offer any such "open door return policy" or they would quickly put the resort's finances in serious jeopardy. No incoming fees on "house owned" weeks translates directly to deferred maintenance --- and matters can and will just slide steadily downhill from there.

I'm not in any way "peddling" Wyndham btw, and for the record we do not even own within Wyndham (...although we once did). I'm merely offering a stand alone observation for your consideration as you climb that occasionally steep and sometimes rocky timeshare learning curve.

Your concluding statement I've highlighted in blue is both wise and promising and worth examining. Good luck and good on 'ya. :thumbup:

Last edited: