• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frenchman's Cove building request help

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying at the Cove for the first time in May 2017. Trying to figure out the best building to request. I believe there are 4 choices - Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, & St. John - is this correct? I saw some other maps online that appeared to show more buildings.. but maybe that is for future development?

Which building is your favorite and why? Does anyone know what the refurbishment schedule has been like? Would prefer to stay in the newest/most recently renovated building. I assume they all have great views since they seem to all face the water. Thanks!!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
There is also the Crown building, which is the check in building, but has villas in it as well. As for building preference, keep in mind, the farther up the hill from the water you are, the more elevators you have to deal with carrying all your beach/pool things (and small kids if you have them) down to that area. With smaller kids, I would prefer closer to water/pool. If just adults, its likely less of an issue. Upper floor on upper buildings do have great views.

Here is a resort map https://owners.marriottvacationclub...QxMzJhYWY5ZjRhMWRiNTgyZmYzZTY2Y2YyYjc2ZWY1YTM

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is also the Crown building, which is the check in building, but has villas in it as well. As for building preference, keep in mind, the farther up the hill from the water you are, the more elevators you have to deal with carrying all your beach/pool things (and small kids if you have them) down to that area. With smaller kids, I would prefer closer to water/pool. If just adults, its likely less of an issue. Upper floor on upper buildings do have great views.

Here is a resort map https://owners.marriottvacationclub...QxMzJhYWY5ZjRhMWRiNTgyZmYzZTY2Y2YyYjc2ZWY1YTM

Thanks! I did not realize there were villas in the Crown building. That seems like it would be really far away from everything. We are just adults, and would love a great view! But also, a refurbished room if possible.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
All buildings have pretty good views as long as you are on the higher floors (say 3+ for most buildings). St. John and Crown are higher up the hill which adds an additional elevator ride to the pool. The other 3 basically surround the pool. Tortola had 2 different views - rooms 0-2 face the pool and the hotel and rooms 3-5 face east towards water island but with good views of the harbor. I think the Jost Van Dyke has the easiest access to the pool, but the elevator is also used by the St. John folks to get to the pool/beach.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also want to add - you don't want the Crown unless you want quick access to leave the resort....

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
this is the view from 6th floor st john building last Sep. A little be walk to the beach, but we were fine with that considering the view we got.

Attachments

• 14192194_10154506545684516_5807998362645836447_n.jpg
    14192194_10154506545684516_5807998362645836447_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 164

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next week will be my 11th trip to MFC. Here's the same advice I always give, avoid Crown, get the highest floor possible in any bldg and all but two of the rooms in Tortola have great views. You probably won't get Tortola unless you are an owner staying multiple weeks or you've been to the resort many times and have developed a relationship with the staff.

If all that fails just remember that you're in St Thomas and the rest of us aren't.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
top floor st johns...cant be beat for the view!

is a good ways down (multiple elevators) to the pool though!

frenchmanview.jpg

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also have a (DCP) reservation at Frenchmans Cove in early April; it will be our first time there. Wondering when we should expect to hear from the resort via email to make our room preferences known?

Has anyone else experienced differences when using DC points for reservations rather than (their own or traded) weeks, in terms of pre-arrival contact from MVC resorts?

Specifically wondering about this for this resort...

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
We also have a (DCP) reservation at Frenchmans Cove in early April; it will be our first time there. Wondering when we should expect to hear from the resort via email to make our room preferences known?

Has anyone else experienced differences when using DC points for reservations rather than (their own or traded) weeks, in terms of pre-arrival contact from MVC resorts?

Specifically wondering about this for this resort...
Pre arrival email should arrive about 3 weeks prior to your check in date. Timing doesn't matter if its a DC ressie or an owned weeks based ressie.

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! Beautiful views from St. John. We also booked with DC points.

Does anyone know when the buildings were last refurbished?

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going for the first time in April 8-15, so I expect it will be busy. We may wind up going to the Reef's pool next door a lot. I have heard if you stay at one of the top level villa's it would be a shorter walk to the Reef's pool-anyone know the walk time from a high villa vs one down by the pool? Thanks!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Here is the resort map. Pathway to Reef is noted at "L" on the map. Resort footprint is not very sprawled out, so nowhere would be a tremendously longer walk than any other. Higher buildings walk downhill to the path, lower buildings walk uphill to the path. Depends which you prefer on the way...and on the way back. Enjoy your trip!!!
https://owners.marriottvacationclub...QxMzJhYWY5ZjRhMWRiNTgyZmYzZTY2Y2YyYjc2ZWY1YTM

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the resort map. Pathway to Reef is noted at "L" on the map. Resort footprint is not very sprawled out, so nowhere would be a tremendously longer walk than any other. Higher buildings walk downhill to the path, lower buildings walk uphill to the path. Depends which you prefer on the way...and on the way back. Enjoy your trip!!!
https://owners.marriottvacationclub...QxMzJhYWY5ZjRhMWRiNTgyZmYzZTY2Y2YyYjc2ZWY1YTM
Thanks Fasttr, I actually knew all that - do you know how many minutes it would take to walk to the Reef pool from any Cove building? Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its about a 10 to 15min slow walk....the biggest issue with walking is the significant inclines you have to climb using stairs to get to the reef....looooots of stairs =)

(also a ton more stairs to get down to the reef beach where that super awesome bar/grill is located literally right in the sand!

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian, I think I am going to try for the St. John's building as my first choice. We don't mind the exercise-lol

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the lower buildings (Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda) have exits at both the low and high floors, so you can exit at the same street level as St. Johns. Jost Van Dyke would be the closest to to entry point to the Reef - just go to the 5th floor to exit for a walk downhill to the entry point. Tortola would be the only building that would require a walk up hill or a second elevator ride to get to the upper street.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends how much you like walking.
We stayed in Tortola, which is the furthest building from the Reef, but strolled over there probably every other day during our stay, for the beach, one of the restaurant/bars, the better stocked shop...

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_0091.JPG
I honestly don't see a lot of difference between St. John and Crown. I purchased pre-construction and have been every year since it opened but one. I usually trade in so I'm not highest on the pecking order and have stayed in every building. Best advise comes from Jimf41 with "request high floor". I'm only writing because I avoided Crown for years but they finally got me last year. It was still a killer view and as already said it was St. T. I'm not saying request it, but don't worry too much if you get it.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 3477
I honestly don't see a lot of difference between St. John and Crown. I purchased pre-construction and have been every year since it opened but one. I usually trade in so I'm not highest on the pecking order and have stayed in every building. Best advise comes from Jimf41 with "request high floor". I'm only writing because I avoided Crown for years but they finally got me last year. It was still a killer view and as already said it was St. T. I'm not saying request it, but don't worry too much if you get it.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We request as high in St. John as possible. We can see out pass the Reef and the beautiful lights of Charlotte Amalie at night. I assure you that going down three elevators is much shorter than the walk from our unit to the pools in most other Marriott resorts. Sitting under the tree on the beach or by the pool at the Cove is wonderful. We love getting to know our fellow vacationers.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received email for preferences for our stay there the second week of April. Unfortunately, there was no place to put our villa location/building preferences - instead just a disclaimer. Would you recommend sending a seperate email or calling the resort directly for this? While not weeks owners there, we are staying on DC points (and expect to have Presidential level status change by then, along with our already noted Platinum elite MR status). Thanks in advance for any recommendations offered.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received email for preferences for our stay there the second week of April. Unfortunately, there was no place to put our villa location/building preferences - instead just a disclaimer. Would you recommend sending a seperate email or calling the resort directly for this? While not weeks owners there, we are staying on DC points (and expect to have Presidential level status change by then, along with our already noted Platinum elite MR status). Thanks in advance for any recommendations offered.

It can't hurt to call. I usually call about two+ weeks out.

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone stay on a lower floor in the St. John building? Wondering if the view is still almost as good as the higher floors in that building-any obstructions if you are on a 3rd floor or lower there?