• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Free, Free Closing: San Clemente Inn 1Bdrm in CA, Reserved 8/7/2016, Day Use, II/RCI!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to health, it has been difficult for me to travel far in the past few years. Therefore, I would like to find new owners for all of my California timeshares. In addition to this floating week which is free, I own two fixed summer weeks at a different resort. I would be willing to sell the fixed weeks cheaply, but not free.

The free week is at San Clemente Inn near the beach in San Clemente, California. This is a one-bedroom unit that sleeps four. It is what the resort calls a "Breaker" unit.

It is a high season week, which floats weeks 8-48. I have reserved a summer week, check-in August 7, for 2016.

The MFs for 2016 are $697 and are due in two installments. I have paid the first installment, and would like it reimbursed to me. The second installment of the MFs is due in June.

I can easily do the closing myself, in which case there would be no closing costs, and the only cost to acquire this unit would be reimbursement of $348.50 towards the 2016 MFs. Or, the new owner can select a closing company of their choice at their expense.

In addition to providing a week's stay in Southern California, owning at San Clemente Inn provides several additional benefits:

1) Day Use: San Clemente Inn has a generous day use policy. Owners can use the pool, tennis court, and other facilities at the resort year-round, even on summer weekends. This is great for people who live within driving distance!

2) Ability to join both II and RCI. This resort is affiliated with both II and RCI, so owners have their choice of joining either exchange company, or both. Both RCI and II offer deeply discounted rentals to their members, but each has different resorts available.

3) VRI rentals and membership in the VRI*ety internal exchange program. Owners at any VRI-managed resort can get discounted stays at other VRI-managed resorts. Also, only owners at VRI-managed resorts can join VRI*ety, which is VRI's own exchange program. VRI*ety is free to join, has low trading fees, and has a strong presence in some hard-to-get areas such as Southern California and Cape Cod.

This resort has an owner-controlled HOA. The HOA has hired VRI, a very good management company, to manage the property. A number of major repairs and renovations were recently done to the resort, with no special assessment.

Thank you for reading my post!

JudyS

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether you posted your fixed weeks in the marketplace? Unfortunately, I am not really looking to buy right now but it can't hurt to look, can it?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fixed weeks are posted in the Marketplace, but I'm not sure how easy they will be to find, since you can't search the Marketplace by member name. Send me a PM and I will send you the links to them.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For most float weeks with a fairly open season, the best weeks get reserved at 12 months prior or as soon as the booking window opens. At this point the only weeks likely to be available to switch to would be late October-November (non Thanksgiving week).

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
For most float weeks with a fairly open season, the best weeks get reserved at 12 months prior or as soon as the booking window opens. At this point the only weeks likely to be available to switch to would be late October-November (non Thanksgiving week).
Tschwa2 is completely right. Summer floating weeks in coastal California tend to book up as soon as reservations open. That is true for all coastal California resorts with floating weeks, as far as I know.

I can call the resort tomorrow, but probably nothing much is available for the rest of 2016.

In fact, this is one of the many advantages of taking a timeshare from the TUG Bargain Board, rather than trying to get one from eBay. Timeshares on eBay hardly ever come with a reservation already booked, and they often take a long time to close. Free San Clemente Inn weeks sometimes show up on eBay. But, if someone bought a San Clemente Inn week off eBay now, it might not close until fall. The buyer might have to pay MFs for 2016 and 2017, yet not get a good week until 2018.

On the other hand, taking this week from me means a good reservation starting this year. The current reservation for August 7, 2016 can be rented or traded, if the new owner doesn't want to use it personally. Starting usage (and MFs) in 2017 is also a possibility, and I could book the new owner a good reservation for 2017.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Since I own at SCI I will chime in with some details about the place:

Judy mentioned the tennis and pool but it's worth noting that there's also a restaurant on-site, half basketball court, shuffleboard and mini golf course.

The are renovating the lobby area.

She mentioned that it trades in RCI and II, which is useful. In RCI that unit will get about 31 TPU max, which is pretty good and interestingly the same TPU that you'd get for the next size up unit which means it's a pretty good trading value. If you plan to use it for exchanges, always book a week from 23-33 as soon as you can and deposit as soon as you can to get the most value.

Judy's offer is a good one for the reasons she mentions - comes with a good week booked. I think that week can get you about 28 TPU on RCI right now if it were deposited. And the lack of closing costs is a huge benefit too. This ownership IS valuable and you're getting it for less than free.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm going to give this another plug...

SCI is well-managed and produces an income that is greater than expenses.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Were you able to find a taker on this one?

What do you have reserved for 2017?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking, VegasBella!

This is still available. For next year, I have reserved the week that starts July 23, 2017.