• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FLL airport travelling with limited mobility grandmother

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Next month I am flying Southwest down to Fort Lauderdale. I will be travelling with 97 YO who uses a walker for short walking and wheelchair for distances of more than a couple hundred feet. So a wheelchair, two walkers (outdoor with seat and small indoor), bedside commode (medium size box) and 3 suitcases. I can travel light but she can not. I would need to navigate from luggage pick up to car rental. I imagine there is a shuttle to get to the cars. I can not leave her alone with or without the luggage. It will be a challenge getting her up the stairs to get on the shuttle especially after the flight (which is luckily non stop at about 2.5 hours).

We are traveling on a day before the price hikes for Easter so I could pay the $140 to have my husband or niece take the round trip to help and then fly back. Any other suggestions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can you rent the equipment you need at your destination, and use the airport's wheelchairs at the airports?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The elderly traveler is well known at FLL.

See if you can reserve/request a wheel chair and a skycap at the FLL gate. It is much shorter walk than my usual trek thru the PHL airport (don't know your airport) thru the airport to baggage claim. Baggage claim is on a lower level (elevators by the stairs down ... on the right when facing down the steps .. I believe).

It is truly amazing during the winter snowbird season ... I have seen as many as 27 wheelchair SWA passengers in PHL for the outbound flight and ONLY 1 needing a wheelchair upon arrival at the gate in FLL.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
We are driving back so we would need the equipment then. I am considering amazon prime and verifying at the resort they can hold if we schedule delivery for a day before arrival. I know some charge a fee and that would probably be alright as well. Moneywise buying or renting would cost about $250 and I still would have multiple bags but less additional equipment and still would have difficulties getting to the car rental.

I usually don't travel with her by myself and we usually drive if its just us so I just don't know the answer to this question. Is there someone at the airport who can take her down to luggage area and stay with her while I get the bags and push her to where we pick up the car shuttle? At some point between getting off the plane and getting on to the shuttle- preferably before we have the checked bags, I would need to take her in to use the restroom and that takes about 15 minutes. I know that once we get to the shuttle the shuttle driver can help with the bags while I get her up the steps.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We bought a transport chair at Walgreens for my mom for $100 on sale. It has a titanium frame and folds up like a baby stroller. We check it like a stroller and it goes under the belly of the plane. We use it instead of a wheelchair. It looks like a wheelchair. It fits in the trunk of the car, too.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what we have and its about 4 years old. She used to rarely use it only on long distances we use it semi regularly at this point. One of the breaks is kind of going so I wouldn't mind buying a new one. It will just be hard pushing that and dealing with the luggage.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great topical info. We are flying into FLL next week for a cruise. DW also uses a (wheeled) walker. She can hobble short distances with a cane. We ordered wheelchair service from SW, a handicap room at a hotel & cruise, rented a scooter for the cruise (delivered to the cabin) The only 'T' that isn't crossed is getting her into a hotel shuttle. Maybe taxi is a better plan. I think we are as well set up as possible- having taken several other cruises from FLL, we know the layout.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
We had two old sturdy leather belts that we cut to size to buckle around the bottom parts of the transport chair to keep it held together securely when checking it with the airline. Works like a charm.

I would definitely get a porter to help with everything. We travel with me, my husband, and my mother and father so three of us to help with everything and we hang purses and tote bags on the arms of the transport chair that mom is sitting in (a little hard to push but good exercise!)

Last edited:

custcarcen

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Next month I am flying Southwest down to Fort Lauderdale. I will be travelling with 97 YO who uses a walker for short walking and wheelchair for distances of more than a couple hundred feet. So a wheelchair, two walkers (outdoor with seat and small indoor), bedside commode (medium size box) and 3 suitcases. I can travel light but she can not. I would need to navigate from luggage pick up to car rental. I imagine there is a shuttle to get to the cars. I can not leave her alone with or without the luggage. It will be a challenge getting her up the stairs to get on the shuttle especially after the flight (which is luckily non stop at about 2.5 hours).

We are traveling on a day before the price hikes for Easter so I could pay the $140 to have my husband or niece take the round trip to help and then fly back. Any other suggestions.

I really don't think you have much to worry about. Arrange with Southwest for a wheelchair at the gate and then they'll take you to baggage claim. Once there you'll find plenty of guys with carts to help you with the luggage to get over to the car rental building which is actually connected, with a slightly uphill ramp, to the Southwest arrival terminal. I would verify with Southwest that all arrivals are at that terminal just to be safe.

The only problem would be if there is a very long line to rent the car. Hopefully it will be quick and you can get the wheelchair person or luggage cart staffer to watch over her. I'm sure a price can be arranged.

I usually rent thru Alamo because you can get the car by checking in with a credit card at a machine which no one else uses. We did have a very bad experience last month at Budget because their prices were so low that everybody was using them and no other company had any lines. I won't rent from them again until I join their frequent renter club which merits a separate check-in line that had no one in it.

The key will be to verify with SWA that your flight will land at that terminal. If you have any other questions just pm me.

Good luck.
Mike

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the advice. I am using Enterprise but will see if I can pre check in.

custcarcen

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am using Enterprise but will see if I can pre check in.

I'm not too sure that Enterprise shares that space with the other companies. Don't recall seeing them. You might want to make sure that they are not off site which renders most of what I said moot.