• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First visit to Cabo San Lucas, Sirena Del Mar- questions

shellmo1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange to Sirena Del Mar Welk, Feb. 26 to Mar 5. I am trying to book airfare. I need some advice. We fly out of St. Louis Mo. I can find decent fares to Cabo but the return flights are way more expensive. Why? I have been playing around with dates and cities, but not finding much. Is $420 around about per person the going rate? Can't I do better? My husband travels for business so we can always lay over a night at a Holiday Inn or stay in Cabo an extra day either side. Another question, what is the best transportation service from the airport to our resort? I want to book it in advance. I have read that some will stop at the grocery store on the way? Any insight and advice is appreciated!! Also any tour tips!

Michelle

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Return flights from Mexico are always higher than inbound flights due to an exit tax of approx 40/per person. SJD is a private airport owned by Quivera.
Shared 10 passenger van is the least expensive (other than the Dieserto bus) and a reasonably quick way to get to/from SerDM(35 min).
Consider: http://www.cape-transfers.com/ or http://www.funloscabos.com/index.php or http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Airport-Shuttle.htm
Only private taxis will stop at Wallmart etc on your way in. Private taxi w/o a stop runs about $70/car of 4. Plus about $10 for a quick stop.
SerDM is almost across the street from a WM so if you enjoy a walk it's about a 1/2 mi or you can walk there and take a white taxi back to your resort. White taxis are cars and they are what the locals use. You can flag down a white taxi at any grocery store. They can take you around town or to a resort but not from a resort. Resort taxis are huge vans and are about 50% higher rates due to the taxi union controlling the local govt. Resort taxis are a huge tourist ripoff in Cabo and lately they only want USD, The only regulated rates are in MXN which most refuse to take. You can walk out to the main street from SerDM and take a local white collectivo (old school bus) for about 12 pesos/person which is what we do to avoid some of the taxi scams. The collectivos have their destinations written with soap on the passenger side front windshield- it's easy and very local.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I just checked Southwest and even with their lowest fares $420 is a better price if that's round trip. As for transportation, we've used Cielito Lindo and Danny Boy and were very pleased with both of them. I think both of them would stop at a grocery store. You can reach Danny Boy through his Facebook page.

What size unit will you have at the resort? I've looked at the pictures on their website and it looks stunning! I notice that the larger units appear to have a stove with an oven. That's unusual for Cabo as most of the timeshare kitchens don't include an oven. If you do have an oven that will be helpful to know before you shop.

Are you staying in a one bedroom or a premier one bedroom? It appears that the one bedroom doesn't have an oven but it does have a microwave. It might have a convection oven, too, but it's hard to tell from the picture. It looks like it has a full size refrigerator. The premier one bedroom looks like it has a complete stove w/oven as well as a microwave and a full size refrigerator and more storage space.

Anyway, hope you have a great time in Cabo!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
You could return from SJD to Tijuana airport and walk across the sky bridge to San Diego. Stay the night in San Diego and fly to STL from there.

Flights are super cheap in and out of TIJ

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We fly to Cabo at least once a year from Springfield, and I'd be thrilled with $420/RT flights! I watch fares closely from MO, and that is just about as good as you're going to get.

buceo

Reaction score
Our first visit too will be this winter. Besides family and a wedding ceremony, looking to do whale watching and the camel safari.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We always rent a car in Cabo. Been going there for 10 years. If you have the time and money swimming with the Whale Sharks in La Paz is a great activity. If you want to swim with the Dolphins use the one at the Harbor in San Jose del Cabo.

shellmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange to Sirena Del Mar Welk, Feb. 26 to Mar 5. I am trying to book airfare. I need some advice. We fly out of St. Louis Mo. I can find decent fares to Cabo but the return flights are way more expensive. Why? I have been playing around with dates and cities, but not finding much. Is $420 around about per person the going rate? Can't I do better? My husband travels for business so we can always lay over a night at a Holiday Inn or stay in Cabo an extra day either side. Another question, what is the best transportation service from the airport to our resort? I want to book it in advance. I have read that some will stop at the grocery store on the way? Any insight and advice is appreciated!! Also any tour tips!

Michelle
Thanks for all the advice! Guess I'll suck it up and make those airline reservations soon! I'll make my transportation reservations too. So I understand there is a Walmart less than a mile from Sirena Del Mar resort? That will work out great! We like to make our own breakfasts. We have the small side of a one bedroom, LK

Boonie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went last month stayed at Hacienda Encantada and the one thing to definitely see is the Arch. We did a snorkeling trip but there are different type of cruises. Don't stop to talk to anyone at the airport it's timeshare people trying to get you to do a presentation. We made that mistake, they tell you they are part of the transportation but they just want will take up your time. All the transport people are outside of the airport. Downtown is worth the trip if your interested in Cabo Wabo, Senior Frogs and bars, restaurants and shopping. My airfare from Chicago was a little over $400 direct flight on AA. I would go back again!

rpennisi

Reaction score
We go to Cabo next month. My airfare from NYC to Dallas (overnight stay) to Cabo is $512 pp, with the same arrangement for the return. All on AA. We will use Cielito Lindo for transportation, having used them before as well.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'm arriving in Cabo in the middle of the day, I will just take the shared vans that are always waiting outside. Usually around $16 per person. They will stop at a little market if you ask them to, but think 7-11, not a grocery store. If you want a true grocery run, you'll have to get a cab.

If you need to add a day onto your trip at either end, try and stay right in one of the towns (either San Jose or Cabo San Lucas) to get a different feel from your resort.

shellmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We fly to Cabo at least once a year from Springfield, and I'd be thrilled with $420/RT flights! I watch fares closely from MO, and that is just about as good as you're going to get.
Booked our flights yesterday. $397 each, round trip from St. Louis on exact days sun. to sun. Best I've seen. About 7 1/2 hours travel time each way with a stop. Now for our transfers to the resort....

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Booked our flights yesterday. $397 each, round trip from St. Louis on exact days sun. to sun. Best I've seen. About 7 1/2 hours travel time each way with a stop. Now for our transfers to the resort....
Great price! Glad you found the flights you needed. Have fun!