• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite things to do on Maui?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Why is that?

Their reputation in Maui isn't so good, from hitting whales (multiple instances), running ships aground, and questionable eco-friendly practices (recommending non-reef safe sunscreen; not actually using bio-diesel in most boats, or a much lower percentage than advertised) to overcrowding their boats.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Their reputation in Maui isn't so good, from hitting whales (multiple instances), running ships aground, and questionable eco-friendly practices (recommending non-reef safe sunscreen; not actually using bio-diesel in most boats, or a much lower percentage than advertised) to overcrowding their boats.

Interesting. I'd always thought they had a good reputation. I'm not disputing what you've heard, but where did you hear it? Written somewhere? Word of mouth?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Written somewhere? Word of mouth?

Both. Online, you can search TripAdvisor's forums. There are threads going back to like 2005 with the same concerns.

That said, to each his own. I simply choose not to use them, and don't actively try and persuade others to follow suit. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Both. Online, you can search TripAdvisor's forums. There are threads going back to like 2005 with the same concerns.

That said, to each his own. I simply choose not to use them, and don't actively try and persuade others to follow suit. :)

Thanks. I'll have to do some reading.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
We're not golfers so no worries about whether or not our game will improve ;), but thanks so much for the great tips. Give me a good starting point and saves a lot of time. As always, Tuggers are great!!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are on Maui during Prime Whale Season you do not need to pay for a Special Whale Cruise. We simply want on a Dinner Sunset Cruise and several times the Boat had to stop because we were surrounded by a Pod of Whales.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you are on Maui during Prime Whale Season you do not need to pay for a Special Whale Cruise. We simply want on a Dinner Sunset Cruise and several times the Boat had to stop because we were surrounded by a Pod of Whales.

But, what you get on a "special" whale cruise, which aren't all that expensive (probably less than a dinner cruise) are the naturalists who will talk to you about whales, and the hydrophones that go into the water so you can hear the whales sing.

iqmavin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back. Assume you are staying near Lahaina? Some of our favorites are:

1) STAR restaurant. Great Asian flavors. Fantastic food, service and atmosphere. Takes reservations on Open Table but we found best time to go is form 3-5 PM.
2) Got a Groupon for Ziplines and loved it.
3) Island Cream is the best ice cream on the island. Close to Star Noodle.
4) Warren and Annabelle's magic show on Front Street. Been there 5 times and still am amazed at what he can do.
5) Costco is close to the airport so we stop on the way to resort. Safeway in Lahaina.
6) Snorkeling off the Ka'anapali resort.....love it.
7) Black rock torch lighting at Sheraton.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower

As someone that goes to Maui every year, during whale season, and we are avid whale watchers I absolutely agree with the above. I have a friend that has lived on Maui for decades, friends that go to Maui multiple times a year that are huge into snorkeling, diving and whale watching. And the consensus of ALL is that they are NOT fans of PWF. The instances NTP66 mentions are entirely true, I've seen them in the Maui news, and when we were on Maui winter 2015 I actually SAW the PWF boat that ran aground on the reef just yards off of Front Street right smack in Lahaina. Did a lot of damage to the reef there.

There are really good companies that truly care about the ocean and ocean life, that put time & money into research and giving back. Just a few are: Trilogy Excursions, Hawaii Ocean Project, Gemini, Teralani, Ultimate Whale Watch, and I've seen good reports about Paragon. I've personally been out w/Trilogy, Teralani & Captain Steve's. Multiple times. Several of these companies donate their boats & crew for Whale Days special excursions with actual whale researchers with all proceeds going to whale research. THOSE are the kinds of companies I patronize.

Here's a link to an very recent discussion on another (Maui) forum: (hope it's ok to post a link?)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...ai_Snorkel_and_Dolphin_Watch-Maui_Hawaii.html

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We love going to the top of Haleakala for sunrise. Coming from the east coast, the first few days, we have jet lag, so no problem getting up early. It is an awesome experience to feel close to the edge of the earth.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regarding Haleakala:
http://mauiwatch.com/2016/11/haleakala-sunrise-viewing-reservation-system-begin-february-2017/
Haleakala Sunrise Viewing Reservation System To Begin February 2017
http://mauiwatch.com/2016/11/haleakala-sunrise-viewing-reservation-system-begin-february-2017/
Beginning on February 1, 2017, visitors in personal or rental vehicles wishing to view sunrise at Haleakalā National Park will need to make sunrise viewing reservations ahead of time at recreation.gov. The online reservation system is being implemented to ensure visitor and employee safety, protect natural and cultural resources, and provide a quality visitor experience at the summit during sunrise hours (3am to 7am). The reservation system will go live on December 1, 2016. The cost is $1.50 per car. Before February 1, 2017, sunrise viewing parking spaces will continue to be available without advanced reservation, on a first-come, first-served basis.

taffy19

Reaction score
As someone that goes to Maui every year, during whale season, and we are avid whale watchers I absolutely agree with the above. I have a friend that has lived on Maui for decades, friends that go to Maui multiple times a year that are huge into snorkeling, diving and whale watching. And the consensus of ALL is that they are NOT fans of PWF. The instances NTP66 mentions are entirely true, I've seen them in the Maui news, and when we were on Maui winter 2015 I actually SAW the PWF boat that ran aground on the reef just yards off of Front Street right smack in Lahaina. Did a lot of damage to the reef there.

There are really good companies that truly care about the ocean and ocean life, that put time & money into research and giving back. Just a few are: Trilogy Excursions, Hawaii Ocean Project, Gemini, Teralani, Ultimate Whale Watch, and I've seen good reports about Paragon. I've personally been out w/Trilogy, Teralani & Captain Steve's. Multiple times. Several of these companies donate their boats & crew for Whale Days special excursions with actual whale researchers with all proceeds going to whale research. THOSE are the kinds of companies I patronize.

Here's a link to an very recent discussion on another (Maui) forum: (hope it's ok to post a link?)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...ai_Snorkel_and_Dolphin_Watch-Maui_Hawaii.html
We heard the same from several whale watching tour operators but we have never experienced disrespect to the ocean or the whales by any of them when we were onboard. We haven't tried Captain Steve's yet but we took a sunset whale watching trip with the "Queens' Treasure" once from the beach in front of the Westin. It is a beautiful Catamaran and a great crew. I would do it again. I also like the rafts and certainly if the whales come close to the boat. :) Most have hydrophones and you can hear the whale song. That is so amazing but we have heard them too when we were snorkeling at Ulua Beach. Still, a boat trip is highly recommended, IMO.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just returned last night. We had a great time, despite it having rained every day except one (and not just brief periods- extended periods of light rain and even heavy rain at times). Also so much for calling beforehand and requesting a higher floor- we were given a ground floor room- nice grass and plants outside, but no privacy with workman frequently back and forth, so really no balcony use. But we were on Maui, and the resort is BEAUTIFUL! I know why many here look at it as their home away from home. Despite the long flights for us, even my DH (who was reticent about going because of the flights) is looking forward to another trip. Layout if the resort is beautiful, it's well located on a very walkable strip, and the staff is great!

Thanks to Greg and others for great restaurant suggestions and "to do lists." We did the sunrise bike tour to Haleakala (sadly no sunrise for us- just freezing and rainy), but did get to ride down the volcano, and only wasn't able to do the last stretch past the town (thanks to more rain); it was an awesome experience! Saw whales on a PWF whale watch (they were the only ones starting the beg. of Dec.)- saw and heard whales, and even managed to get a few pics. We did the Road to Hana- we did follow some advice to do the full circle- would rec. doubling back and not doing the road on the other side, part of which is unpaved but, more imp., very narrow and windy at times, with some locals zipping by on narrow cliffside roads. And I was finally able to snorkel, something I've never been able to manage before.

A few recommendations: if you have an iphone (my be available for androids, not sure) look for the Gypsy Guides to Maui App(s), There is a bundle app for 9.99, or single ones for 4.99 each. We bought the guide for the Road to Hana and it was amazing!! It is a GPS guided tour- tracks your location and gives you a great narrative of where you are, what attractions are coming up, how long they'll take, whether it's a must see or not, and where to turn and park. Cell service is spotty at best, so a GPS guide was especially helpful, and the guide was funny and advice spot on! The advice helps you keep on course and make the most use of your time. We were on the road before 8 and returned at 6, so even basically sticking to his must-see spots it was a very full day, and it's a drive you want to do in daylight. Narrow, often one lane (not one lane in each direction) unlit roads are best navigated in daylight. There is also a guide for driving to Haleakala and a general Maui guide, which also can be purchased individually or as part of the Maui bundle.

Another tip some might find useful- they recently came out with all in one snorkel/mask, which we first saw a few months ago in Aruba. Several companies make them, including Tribord, Head and a few others. They all look the same to me, so I'm guessing there's one manufacturer and it's rebadged under different names. Tribord on Amazon. I was never able to snorkel before; I couldn't stop hyperventilating. This mask made all the difference- allows one to breathe through the nose or mouth while underwater. Even accomplished snorkelers love it- it's just easy to use. I saw a few others on the beach with them and it was featured in several shops.

For those driving to Haleakala- besides making reservations in advance (they sell out) after Feb. 1st, make sure to save your entry ticket, which is good for 3 dys. If you're doing the Road to Hana, past Hana is the Seven Pools, which is a short hike inside the park, so you can use the same admission ticket.

taffy19

Reaction score
Really sorry that you had so much rain and no sunrise experience either at the Haleakala Crater and on top of that a ground floor condo with a garden view. What was your condo number and in what tower did you end up? I never really knew what month you were going so often was wondering when we would hear from you with your experience.

Anyway, it seems that the Hawaiian Islands appealed to you and your husband and I know that you will be back one day. I know a few other friends who have returned more than once from back East and even from Europe too. Our friends told us yesterday on the phone how much they would like to return again.

Please, post your pictures and I am so happy that you heard the whales sing and that you went snorkeling too! :D

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My wife bought one of those masks a couple of years ago and she loves it and reccommends it to everyone.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of the Head snorkel masks at Costco in CA. Looking forward to trying it out next week!

Bill4728

Reaction score
We always stay in Kaanapali and our favorite thing is our morning walk along the Kaanapali shore line before it gets too crowded. Get up early and enjoy

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Emmy- Yeah, we just returned on Monday (went from the 27th to the 4th). I don't like to post in public forums when we'll be away for security reasons; unfortunately you never know who's trolling through various forums and don't like to announce that the house is vacant. As for the room assignment- just the luck of the draw- we were assigned 1211 in Lahaina Tower, and there was no changing; I did ask nicely, just in case. Oh well.... The rain was a bit surprising; staff and merchants at the store were commenting how atypical it was, and how much more humid it was last week. But except for Sunday, when we had a late flight and the rain was pretty constant, we managed to work around it and had a great time anyway. I was a bit disappointed about not seeing the sunrise, but we did have one spectacular sunset during the week, which was probably one of the two nicest we've ever seen.

The resort is beautiful and nicely situated on the beach, with easy access to both shopping and snorkeling. It was nice being able to sit out in front of the pool and look out over the ocean, esp. in front of the main pool which didn't have cabanas blocking your view. Kudos to the staff for the chaise monitoring- they're really on top of it, and chairs don't sit unoccupied, which is a far cry from our experience elsewhere.

taffy19

Reaction score
I don't like to post in public forums when we'll be away for security reasons; unfortunately you never know who's trolling through various forums and don't like to announce that the house is vacant.
I figured that and agree with you so I no longer post pictures either while I am away from home and stopped using Facebook too for that unless it is in a private group.

As for the room assignment- just the luck of the draw- we were assigned 1211 in Lahaina Tower, and there was no changing; I did ask nicely, just in case. Oh well....
That is a disappointment that you ended up with the ground floor unit with that view.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Many people drive the Road to Hana but driving around the opposite end of the Island is also beautiful. Make sure you drive clockwise so you are on the inside. Zip line Pi'iholo Ranch. They have several courses. One is back and forth across a canyon with the last zip being about 2800 feet. Eat at the Kihei Cafe for breakfast. Cash only. Hike into the "crater."
We enjoy the road beyond Hana more than the road to Hana.

We also really enjoy the road on the north side of West Maui, as well. BTW- we've always done both roads with an ordinary compact-size car rental.

We also enjoy hiking on Haleakala. On our next trip, it's likely that two of our kids will spend a couple of nights on Haleakala.