TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Family reunion...where?

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by topmom101, Sep 7, 2017.

1. topmom101

topmom101 TUG Member

I am looking for tips/advice. My daughter recently got married in Aruba and it gave many family members (over 100, in fact) the opportunity to travel and spend time together. Such a good time was had by everyone that it's been decided to hold a yearly reunion. A beach location is preferable and mid July works best for most.

The family is scattered in New Jersey, New Yok, South and North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Florida and Canada (majority in the ny/nj area).

We are trying to come up with a location convenient to most for driving as to avoid the extra expense of airfare to those traveling with children.

Requirements are: nice beach, fun activities, reasonable accommodations and dining options.

We are open to renting houses or several units in a timeshare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    For a "nice beach," I'd suggest the Outer Banks of North Carolina-Virginia.
    There are several TS's located in various places, up and down the islands.
    Further North, Ocean City, Maryland, or further South, Myrtle Beach in SC.

But you may want to wait to see what's left after Irma passes by.

3. Trudyt623

Trudyt623 TUG Member

Consider Hilton Head, SC and Virginia Beach also.

Trudy

4. topmom101

topmom101 TUG Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. I was also thinking along the same lines.

5. HenryT

HenryT Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

If you have a wide range of ages and you want to go somewhere where there is lots to do than Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach would be the best options. Of these two, given that most of the people are in NYC/Jersey, Virginia Beach would minimize the driving for the group overall. The other factor would be which of these two locations have the best lodging options. Getting timeshare exchanges in both of these locations in July would be very difficult so you would be looking at condo/home rentals.

6. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, Pines,
    Fishermen's Village
    We are thinking of family reunion in a campground, Normandy Farms in Foxboro,MA. They have RV sites, cabins and you can reserve an area for picnic. Going to call them for more info www.normandyfarms.com
    Silentg

7. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    A state park that rents cabins is a great idea -- I know that West Virginia does.

Long ago, I was in a nearby park with cabins for rent. I happened upon a large group of peep dressed in medieval garb engaged in sword-play and archery. It was weird. Then I discovered that they with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and had rented out all the cabins.

[​IMG] .

8. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

My suggestions are Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, NJ, Eastern Shores,Va, Tybee Beach, Nage Head, NC and Cape Maye, , Delaware.
    In booking Hilton Head Island and Nage Head, NC you must do some serious planning in advance
    Nage Head, NC make better known as the Outer Banks or OBX have some very large private homes you can rent for a family reunion.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  9. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    I know it isn't a beach but you might want to look into Massanutten. It is relatively easy to get multiple units even fairly last minute.
    At beach locations you are going to have to confirm early and it is hard to get that many family members to give hard confirmations and to put up the money. Unless you are paying for everything or willing to front for everything that many bedrooms at the beach in July will be difficult.

Massanutten has enough activities to keep everyone busy even though there are fees for many of them but you still would be able cover group trips to the waterpark, trivia night, and other group activities with the savings and if if works out you can think about trying a beach the next time but you might need a full year to coordinate that one.

mpumilia and pedro47 like this.
  10. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I agree Massanutten is an idea place for a large family reunion. Please check out their website. It is not on a beach; but they have a water park, golf, tennis, and a excellent pool complex all onsite.

mpumilia likes this.
  11. topmom101

topmom101 TUG Member

Massanutten is a good suggestion and definitely something to consider. I'll do some research on it. Thank you.

mpumilia likes this.
  12. ottawasquaw

ottawasquaw TUG Member

There are many wonderful beaches in the Wilmington NC area with terrific homes for rent. Sunset Beach one of the southern most before you get to SC. Oak Island is a barrier island and very beautiful. Wrightsville Beach, Holden Beach. July is the most popular time and many families come back year after year. Start contacting rental companies now and plan to commit in Dec-Jan.