• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Extremely Obese Seatmate on Full Aircraft

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying has never been fun for me, except for being able to tolerate it in my prior work life when I was flying business class internationally with top class service with an asian airline. We try to tolerate it now with only flying first class or business class for flights longer than a couple of hours. We are germaphobic, intolerant of children screaming or crying, dislike seat kickers, people getting into our space (arm rest or seat), smelly people and yakkers. Even when we are not flying, we are very low key, avoiding crowds and preferring strangers not to be in our space. Flying is just plain stressful.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am not morbidly obese (hey I've lost a bunch of weight), nor do I smell (well at least no one has said so, hahaha), but I often do feel sorry for the folks sitting net to me. I am a 6" tall, sturdily build (read big bone, big frame) women of dutch decent. I am not the tall stick figure model sized person. I got both the tall genes and the big boned genes, one from either side of my family.

I fit in an emergency row seat with non-movable arm rests, but just, however my shoulders/arms are likely going to be just a tad bit wider than the seat itself. I always try to get an aisle so I can lean a little away from the person next to me. But not being an average size on airplanes where average is getting smaller and smaller it seems, I always feel bad about even slightly infringing upon my neighbor, yet I don't feel like I should have to buy a second seat.

I will also tell you that not every seat belt is the same length. While I have no issue with 99% of the seats I have traveled on, occasionally I have encountered a "what the hell happened to the seatbelt" seat. Where it must have broke and they repaired it but now it is 4 inches shorter than most every other seatbelt on the plane. So seatbelt extenders, while perhaps embarrassing, do happen to those who generally don't need them.

So what is there to do????

I have heels on in this photo, so I am likely 6'3", you would never guess I was that tall from this photo.

ba-0196.jpg

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not morbidly obese (hey I've lost a bunch of weight), nor do I smell (well at least no one has said so, hahaha), but I often do feel sorry for the folks sitting net to me. I am a 6" tall, sturdily build (read big bone, big frame) women of dutch decent. I am not the tall stick figure model sized person. I got both the tall genes and the big boned genes, one from either side of my family.

I fit in an emergency row seat with non-movable arm rests, but just, however my shoulders/arms are likely going to be just a tad bit wider than the seat itself. I always try to get an aisle so I can lean a little away from the person next to me. But not being an average size on airplanes where average is getting smaller and smaller it seems, I always feel bad about even slightly infringing upon my neighbor, yet I don't feel like I should have to buy a second seat.

I will also tell you that not every seat belt is the same length. While I have no issue with 99% of the seats I have traveled on, occasionally I have encountered a "what the hell happened to the seatbelt" seat. Where it must have broke and they repaired it but now it is 4 inches shorter than most every other seatbelt on the plane. So seatbelt extenders, while perhaps embarrassing, do happen to those who generally don't need them.

So what is there to do????

I have heels on in this photo, so I am likely 6'3", you would never guess I was that tall from this photo.

ba-0196.jpg

Second seat fares are not designed for you, they are designed for passengers who are morbidly obese to the point where another passenger can't sit straight up next to them, as described in the OP. I personally wish they would charge this every time. I don't feel like I should have to pay full fare to squeeze over to subsidize 20% of my neighbor's body roll. Touching is one thing and it's unavoidable on today's flights. That's different than having to hang out into the aisle.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandi ...
I, too, am tall, with Dutch genes and have lost weight in past years. I am maybe 2 or so inches shorter with similar bone structure. I try to sit in aisle seats. I believe many guys have more height and broader shoulders but I carry more weight in my hips while they carry beer bellies.

Some people are way shorter, skinnier and balder than me (and you) ... that is their problem. I can get my stuff out of the overhear bin after I put it up there. I can throw a shoulder into a guy & he will say "I sorry. Are you hurt?" I put FEAR into a person sitting in the aisle seat under where I am getting my overhead suitcase out of.

As for a 'short' seatbelt .. as you sort of said, "a modified belt because it was defective" .. the plane has flight attendants who can go fetch an extension ... so the plane can takeoff and they don't have to work longer hours and get to bed later ... shorting their 'rest cycle'. ;)

Travelling is a major means to our vacation stays ... air flights from snow to outdoor pools are at least 3+ hours ... I will take that middle seat, drink that expensive plane beer, chomp down on stale pretzels and gagging peanuts ... and bore my seatmates to death (maybe they will buy a round of beers?)..... all to stay at my Florida timeshare for 7 nights.

Can I do 14 nights NEXT YEAR?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying for us just isn't much fun anymore.

Methinks you have lots of company in that regard; flying isn't much fun for anyone anymore, for the reasons you've cited --- and many more.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I dread my flight in June to Colorado. Two hours to the airport-Newark. Two hours to wait. 5.5 hours to Phoenix. A 2.5 hour layover. A 1.25 hour flight by small jet to Durango. Pick up rental car. 20 minute drive to hotel. Pass out from exhaustion.

Coming home- two hours ahead at the airport and a 2 hour flight to Dallas/Fort Worth by small jet. A 2 1/2 hour layover. Then 3.5 hour flight to Newark.

No meals on any flights. At least I was able to book aisle seats.

Then 2 hour drive by car service home. Pass out from exhaustion.

Then factor in all the times changes.

I hope it's worth it.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dread my flight in June to Colorado. Two hours to the airport-Newark. Two hours to wait. 5.5 hours to Phoenix. A 2.5 hour layover. A 1.25 hour flight by small jet to Durango. Pick up rental car. 20 minute drive to hotel. Pass out from exhaustion.

Coming home- two hours ahead at the airport and a 2 hour flight to Dallas/Fort Worth by small jet. A 2 1/2 hour layover. Then 3.5 hour flight to Newark.

No meals on any flights. At least I was able to book aisle seats.

Then 2 hour drive by car service home. Pass out from exhaustion.

Then factor in all the times changes.

I hope it's worth it.
You will feel that it was worth it after all the hassle and stress. :) Then you need another staycation to de-stress.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading through this thread is disheartening. The airlines have cut back basic services and amenities so much that we're now turning on fellow passengers? I think the scorn and disgust should go to airlines and their policies. They are cramming people into a flying can, and squeezing every dime out of us. I've flown millions of miles, but I'm not entitled to degrade other people who fly with me.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin is very overweight, and she is required to pay for two seats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it is (us) who accept these conditions. Would moving arm rests work? While purchasing one decides how many seat inches they want. Price depends on how many inches one wants with each row being the same amount.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just flew home today, with this thread in mind. Today, we were the "annoying party". For various reasons, DH and I prefer to book aisle seats across from one another. Each half of a young married couple were on either side of us. (2-2 config), understandably, they asked if we would trade seats so that they could sit together. I declined, but felt guilty doing so.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
When two of us are flying I book aisle and window with the hopes of no wanting the middle seat. My airline of choice flies at 80 - 82% occupancy overall so depending on the route it is easy to decide what the flight load will be. If paying cash there is a good chance we will be upgraded so it is more then worth the downside risk. But I would suggest the airlines only allow people that booked tickets together to sit together when possible. Very little downside on this.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just flew home today, with this thread in mind. Today, we were the "annoying party". For various reasons, DH and I prefer to book aisle seats across from one another. Each half of a young married couple were on either side of us. (2-2 config), understandably, they asked if we would trade seats so that they could sit together. I declined, but felt guilty doing so.
This has also happened to us a couple of times. But we selected the aisle seats ahead of time for a reason and in all cases, it was for just a couple-hour flight. What? They can't be separated for 2 or 3 hours?

A few times when I've flown solo and on an aisle seat I've had someone approach me to trade their middle seat with me so they could sit closer to someone they know. No thanks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You will feel that it was worth it after all the hassle and stress. :) Then you need another staycation to de-stress.

This is why, although I love to experience the beautiful places in our country, my favorite and most relaxing and least expensive vacations are at our home resorts within driving distance from our home.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Reading through this thread is disheartening. The airlines have cut back basic services and amenities so much that we're now turning on fellow passengers? I think the scorn and disgust should go to airlines and their policies. They are cramming people into a flying can, and squeezing every dime out of us. I've flown millions of miles, but I'm not entitled to degrade other people who fly with me.

This is so right on. This is all the fault of the airlines.

I remember my first flight (to Puerto Rico from NY in 1973) at age 17 on a Pan Am 747 with the piano bar in the back. The lovely stewardesses catering to each and every passenger. No checked baggage fees. Anywhere on the plane was a decent seat. Wonderful experience. Then- in 1977 for our honeymoon to San Fransisco/ 4 Hawaiian islands/Las Vegas- all good with the flights.

Downhill from there.

The last time I flew was in 2011 to Scotland and I felt so claustrophobic (not like me at all) that I vowed never to fly anywhere again. Not to mention the flight delay and other issues at the airport in the USA.

But, alas, we have decided to give it another shot because we do want to see a few places while we still can and don't have the time or desire to drive across the country. I am trying to be optimistic.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
If someone is spilling over into the seat I paid for, I'm going to complain to the flight attendant before we depart. Sorry, but no way is that OK. If the armrest can't come down between us, you are in my seat!!

Years ago Southwest had a show called I think "Airline" where they had a passenger of size episode. They most definitely made the lady pay for 2 seats.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Nope. Not from me. If you have a better business model for airlines to make a profit and remain in business so that they can continue to fly you around, please, share it with us. I'd love to see it. And specifics please.

It isn't the airlines that have chosen the lifestyle that the morbidly obese have chosen. And as I've already pointed out, no one is holding a gun to anyones head telling them to eat more. That includes the airlines. These obese people know they are obese, and know they won't fit in that seat, and have every opportunity to pay for a second seat, 1st class or business class in advance to resolve the problem. But most do not. No sympathy.

No, the blame falls squarely on the individual. I'm not buying into just another example of someone attempting to assign blame where it doesn't belong. There's way too much of that already in our society, and frankly, we are the weaker for it. Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. I just firmly disagree.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Nope. Not from me. If you have a better business model for airlines to make a profit and remain in business so that they can continue to fly you around, please, share it with us. I'd love to see it. And specifics please.

It isn't the airlines that have chosen the lifestyle that the morbidly obese have chosen. And as I've already pointed out, no one is holding a gun to anyones head telling them to eat more. That includes the airlines. These obese people know they are obese, and know they won't fit in that seat, and have every opportunity to pay for a second seat, 1st class or business class in advance to resolve the problem. But most do not. No sympathy.

No, the blame falls squarely on the individual. I'm not buying into just another example of someone attempting to assign blame where it doesn't belong. There's way too much of that already in our society, and frankly, we are the weaker for it. Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. I just firmly disagree.

I totally get this point of view as well, but it certainly does not account for the fact the the rest of us so-called "normal"weight people (or even skinny people) (and I could stand to lose about 30-40 lbs myself) are still forced into crammed seats with little amenities on the flight and more to be eliminated going forward.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally get this point of view as well, but it certainly does not account for the fact the the rest of us so-called "normal"weight people (or even skinny people) (and I could stand to lose about 30-40 lbs myself) are still forced into crammed seats with little amenities on the flight and more to be eliminated going forward.

That is what people want as a whole. Cheapest price possible.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That is what people want as a whole. Cheapest price possible.

Maybe. At least for short flights I can agree with that.

But I can tell you the tickets I just purchased I do not consider cheap. Especially without even a meal included.

That said, I guess maybe the answer is just don't fly so as not to be subjected to the torture the airlines put you through. If you even have that option...

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two years ago when flying AA to Hawaii, we both had aisle seats and a heavy woman in the middle next to me saw us talking and asked if my wife would switch. I took the middle next to a thin man and my wife was happy to take my aisle seat. The only unhappy person was the one in the middle across the aisle after my wife moved.

Next month we're traveling to Hawaii on HA with 2-4-2 seating. That's the best with no stranger next to us.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

You've chosen to change the topic. That's fine - these forum posts have a tendency to do that, and I'm as guilty as the rest.

Thus, since you'd like to now discuss how the airline business conducts their business, I will again pose the same reply: If you have a better business model for airlines to make a profit and remain in business so that they can continue to fly you around, please, share it with us. I'd love to see it. And specifics please.

To help you get started, why not just start with answering how airlines should deal with domestic/global economies, and fuel purchases. Maybe then you could comment on how you would adress shareholders, and answer their expected rate of return on invested capital (ROIC) given just the two factors above. Never mind all the rest of factors, unless you'd like to also address environmental regs and their impact, and labor.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score

Pam, with all due respect, this is a statement I completely disagree with. People have choices - from the airline they fly and the services they buy (larger seats, first/business class, buy-on-board food, checked luggage, refundable fares, etc.) to personal choices including how much they eat and/or how much they exercise. Nobody is cramming people into an airplane - people are choosing to do so. Also, just the fact the somebody is pointing out that somebody is overweight does not mean they are being scorned.

People might complain that airlines charge for checked luggage, but I am happy that they do if that means that the people that do not require that service end up with a cheaper ticket. The other option would be to raise all fares so nobody would have to pay extra for checked luggage, food, larger seats, etc. However, most people buy the cheapest ticket they can, followed by some complaining that they have to pay extra for ancillary services. Bottom line is "you can't have your cake and eat it too."

Flying back to Florida yesterday (5+ hours flight), the person across the aisle from me was thoughtful enough to get a business class seat, in which he barely fit in while needing two seatbelt extensions. There is no way he would have fit in any economy class seat.