*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Exploded Potatoes Recipe?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Jimster, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jimster

Jimster TUG Member

Does anyone have the recipe to Exploded Potatoes served by Frisco's in the Washington DC area?

2. Jestjoan

Jestjoan TUG Member

3. philemer

philemer Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Lifetime Member

Sounds like it might be the same as 'twice-baked' potatoes. Try a google for this. Sounds good. "Honey, could we have twice-baked potatoes for dinner?"
    DUCK!!

Phil

4. debraxh

debraxh TUG Member

I googled with no luck. What are exploded potatoes?

5. grest

grest Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Ditto...must be one of them fancy la-de-da gourmet things:)
    Connie

6. Jestjoan

Jestjoan TUG Member

close.........

But without question, the best part of any trip to Frisco's is a treat they call the "Exploded Potato." The medium is enough to be a meal on its own; I wouldn't want to run up against a large. Baked potatoes are chopped, skins on, into bite-size bits and blended with bacon, butter, sour cream, chives and we can't guess what else. It's decadent comfort food at its very best. The flavor is beyond any french fry or potato salad you'll try. We would attempt to recreate the Exploded Potato at home, but we're thinking our arteries would appreciate it if we didn't try.

From Frederick Eats

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  7. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
  8. Jimster

Jimster TUG Member

potatoes

I would still like the recipe if anyone knows it. LOL It is not a twice baked potato as it would put that to shame. Yes, it is a special dish from Friscos!

9. debraxh

debraxh TUG Member

Sounds pretty yummy, but I'd like to add cheese :eek:

10. Cat

Cat TUG Lifetime Member

It would appear that you're not going to have much luck, as I understand it's a closely guarded secret that many have tried to glean for years, without any success.

11. Janis

Janis TUG Member

The secret ingredient they add is the Ranch Dressing that they serve with the salads at the restaurant.

12. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Janis & Jimster -

It appears that you've both eaten and enjoyed the elusive recipe of exploded potatoes. I'm curious - I've read various desciptions in reviews - e.g., "homefries on crack"; "warm potato salad"; and Jestjoan's descripiton from Frederick's Eats - "Baked potatoes are chopped, skins on, into bite-size bits and blended with bacon, butter, sour cream, chives and we can't guess what else. It's decadent comfort food at its very best. The flavor is beyond any french fry or potato salad you'll try."; and lastly, Janis' mention that they have "Ranch Dressing".

Does the Frederick's Eats description include many of the ingredients that you think are in the recipe?

Thanks
    Richard

13. Jimster

Jimster TUG Member

Food

Yes, many of the items mentioned are included. Part of the issue is what they do to the potatoes before they deal with the ingredients and I'm not sure of that. Also when you walk near the kitchen you see a very impressive inventory of herbs and spices. I'm sure they add their own ingredients and make large batches of them. I read one blog of a person that says she has tried many many times to recreate the recipe but with no success. My guess is it is a family secret but I thought I'd ask to see if others knew exactly how these were prepared.

14. Cat

Cat TUG Lifetime Member

It's a "trade secret" in the commercial kitchen, practiced by top chefs, when making potatoes to do the boiling or parboiling (depending on their treatment when combined with other ingredients) in de-fatted chicken stock. Adds a whopping uppercut of flavor.

In fact, I often do that when making plain boiled potatoes to accompany a roast or chops. It draws raves. Rich in flavor, but practically zilch in calories.

Although I've never had them, there's a shot that this might be a practice to contribute a super-flavorful canvas upon which to paint the other ingredients.

15. Janis

Janis TUG Member

It sounds pretty close. Although, I don't really taste any sour cream in it. Plus, they are kind of greasy - so I'm thinking oil instead of butter. I'll have to go conduct some additional research this week (!) and let you know what I taste.