• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Equifax Hack 143 million victims

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/technology/business/equifax-data-breach/index.html

If you are a U.S. citizen, chances are high that you are one of the 143 victims. Social security numbers, birth dates, addresses were mainly what was stolen. There were some credit card numbers stolen.

I wonder if this had anything to do with Paypal sending me new credit cards a couple days ago. I went on their live chat to ask why they sent me new cards and they said a third party provider leaked credit info and my new cards had different expiration and CCV codes to help avoid any potential problems.

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw on the local news that Equifax has known about this for a couple months. They just announced made their formal announcement yesterday.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I read a news report about this, and apparently Equifax has a form set up on their website where you can ask if your account was hacked, but you get a vague response. Either you get a response that your account was not hacked, or you get an invitation to sign up for free credit monitoring. One would have to assume that an invitation to sign up for free credit monitoring means your account got hacked, but it sounds like they don't want to come right out and acknowledge it, to avoid liability. That's baloney!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not just US citizens, but Canadians were included in the 143 million accounts hacked. Worse was Equifax execs selling stock before the hack was exposed resulting in a plunge in the stock yesterday....and off another 14% at the open a few minutes ago!

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjbiJWt3JXWAhUG8YMKHeQJA8UQFgg-MAQ&url=http://www.marketwatch.com/story/equifax-executives-sold-stock-after-data-breach-before-informing-public-2017-09-07&usg=AFQjCNFxvL-7EsYv2xd3qx6Ezc-hoMYmJA

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to find out if your information has been compromised:

To find out if you’ve been affected, you can check on a website Equifax has set up in response to the hack: www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.

At the bottom of the page, the company directs you to a link titled “Potential Impact,” which allows you to see if your information is safe. The catch? You have to provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It seems no where is our private information safe. I would like to have the choice to opt out of the credit companies gathering my information. So many of us will experience the headaches of their mistakes...and they knew for awhile.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The problem with opting out is that you would no longer be able to get credit, because that is how your credit worthiness is determined when you apply for a loan, mortgage, or credit card.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to find out if your information has been compromised:

To find out if you’ve been affected, you can check on a website Equifax has set up in response to the hack: www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.

At the bottom of the page, the company directs you to a link titled “Potential Impact,” which allows you to see if your information is safe. The catch? You have to provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.
"Thank You
Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.

Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."

As I figured.... I had a random charge on a credit card a few weeks ago (Citibank) and they didn't bat an eye when I filed a fraud report. They took it off right away and overnight mailed a new card to me. Then, Paypal just randomly sending me new cards with no explanation.... at least it all makes sense now.

I've had security freezes for a while now. I also currently have free credit monitoring from Experian for leaking my TMobile account info. Even though I already have all that in place, I am going to take any free credit monitoring by Equifax just to make them have to pay for something.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked and got the message that I "may have been impacted." We just got our ID stolen 2 years ago, so this is not good news.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 7.25.25 AM.png

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The problem with opting out is that you would no longer be able to get credit, because that is how your credit worthiness is determined when you apply for a loan, mortgage, or credit card.
That's how it's done today, and it is costing mass amount of monetary losses. Yes automated and convenient but with consequences. I wouldn't mind the having to fill out an application and providing all the papers manually that would be needed when I needed credit.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Half the information on these credit sites is incorrect anyway. And good luck trying to get it corrected.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
After I clicked Enroll button, site told me I had to come back on or after a listed date (in a few days) to complete enrollment.
Why the wait???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
143 million people have been impacted by this, and their system would be swamped if they tried to enroll them all at once.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I received notice from a surgery center that my account had been hacked and I was eligible for a free year with equifax. Now I don't have to bother registering for that hack.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
After I clicked Enroll button, site told me I had to come back on or after a listed date (in a few days) to complete enrollment.
Why the wait???

I got the same thing, apparently they need to sort out the free enrollment details.

4b8768cdfb43e8682f6ac207deb1cd7a.png

I got a couple of strange charges on my PayPal account a week ago, someone was trying to buy Microsoft point cards. I changed my password right away and the charges were declined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I checked and neither DH or I was impacted.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Both the Makai Gal and I were indicated as impacted, so I started registrations for us both. We were given two different completion dates next week. Strangely, hers is two days before mine, although I did mine first.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
This is shameful. Shame on Equifax. I wish there were a way that those of us impacted could punish the company.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is shameful. Shame on Equifax. I wish there were a way that those of us impacted could punish the company.

The market has...EFX is off 20% this afternoon and 35% over two days. But, it also hurts other investors including us seniors who may be holding the stock in retirement accounts.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
saw a news article the other day where a few senior execs at equifax dumped a ton of stock shortly after discovering the "hack"....how kind of them!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
saw a news article the other day where a few senior execs at equifax dumped a ton of stock shortly after discovering the "hack"....how kind of them!
Yep. Looks like Equifax senior executives sold $1.8 million in stock after the breach was known, but before they made it public, according to this article.

Kurt

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Four plus years ago we had a loan company give faulty information to the credit agencies and we could not get the info corrected thru at least a hundred calls and probably that many Emails. We sent in copies of all the cancelled payments made on time but still the fiasco went on.They refused to look at them. The settlement at the end with a federal court magistrate was well into the six figures. Of course the lawyer got more than his share.It is amazing the amount of misinformation and the terrible system for correcting. Every time we make a vacation we remind ourselves what companies are paying for the trip as this is our special vacation fund. It was quite a nightmare and if it wasn't for my wife going thru health problems I would have taken this to the courts and taken my chances on getting nothing to quite a bit larger settlement.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Gee, only about the 10th time somebody broke into a data base with my info. The topper was the Chinese Government breaking into OPM and stealing my entire life history in my Security Clearance file.

Only a few credit card frauds over years but none have cost me anything.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score