• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status benefits of membership?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I know that enrolled members enjoy lifetime elite status in MR program, with Executive level members given Gold Elite. Does that apply to all the owners on the deed, or just to one owner?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that enrolled members enjoy lifetime elite status in MR program, with Executive level members given Gold Elite. Does that apply to all the owners on the deed, or just to one owner?
Just the owner whose MR number is the one linked to the ownership.
However, if say that owner already achieved MR Platinum Lifetime status (independent of the MVC ownership), you can change the link to another owner's MR number so that they can also get this status.
You just need to be sure your partner or other owner is named on all the necessary MVC deeds.
Remember too that the this member elite status is only lifetime if you retain the qualifying requirements. These are reviewed every year and if for example you were to sell any weeks or points you may lose this status, so really it is lifetime with dependencies.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just the owner whose MR number is the one linked to the ownership.
However, if say that owner already achieved MR Platinum Lifetime status (independent of the MVC ownership), you can change the link to another owner's MR number so that they can also get this status.
You just need to be sure your partner or other owner is named on all the necessary MVC deeds.
Remember too that the this member elite status is only lifetime if you retain the qualifying requirements. These are reviewed every year and if for example you were to sell any weeks or points you may lose this status, so really it is lifetime with dependencies.
Exactly right. When I met the requirements for Lifetime Platinum status with the Marriott Rewards (MR) program through my hotel stays, we switched the MR number associated with our MVCI account from me to DW. Now we both have Lifetime Platinum status, me for hotel loyalty and her for our MVCI ownership. If you use hotels frequently (as we do), I think this is a great perk. Plus, with the Marriott/Starwood deal, your status will now carry over into the SPG hotel portfolio as well. You do need to maintain the required MVCI status level based on what you own as bazzap described to preserve the MR status level.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thanks- thought that was the case, but hoped I remembered incorrectly

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, keep an eye on 2018 to see if SPG and Marriott program merger takes place as there might be some changes that come out of that.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I'm Lifetime Platinum with MR and have used about 5 mill points of my 7 mill total. I'm also Chairman status with ownership of 6 TS.

It was always my thinking that your points die with you unless passed on to your spouse, but had never heard that my Lifetime Platinum status can pass on to my spouse too...and that the MVC status does too.

Please clarify.

Brian

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm Lifetime Platinum with MR and have used about 5 mill points of my 7 mill total. I'm also Chairman status with ownership of 6 TS.

It was always my thinking that your points die with you unless passed on to your spouse, but had never heard that my Lifetime Platinum status can pass on to my spouse too...and that the MVC status does too.

Please clarify.

Brian
The MR Platinum Elite status will only pass on to your spouse if your MVC ownership status is changed to link your spouse's MR number to the ownership and also that ownership is kept at the qualifying level.
Traditional MR Lifetime Platinum Elite status earned through hotel stays does not pass on to your spouse.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Please clarify.

Brian
I believe Marriott (hotels not timeshare) will allow you to pass the balance of your Marriott Rewards account to a surviving spouse, but not the accompanying status (if you earned it through hotel loyalty). As Bazzap correctly points out, your spouse can obtain Platinum status based on your MVCI ownership level by changing the hotel rewards account number associated with your ownership from yours to theirs. It would transfer as one of the MVCI ownership benefits.

Both steps would need to be taken - request Marriott Hotels transfer the rewards account points (MRPs) balance to the surviving spouse AND change the Marriott account number on your timeshare ownership with MVCI. If your spouse isn't already platinum, you can provide that to them now by going ahead and changing the MR account number on your MVCI ownership (then you will both be Platinum).

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Marriott (hotels not timeshare) will allow you to pass the balance of your Marriott Rewards account to a surviving spouse, but not the accompanying status (if you earned it through hotel loyalty). As Bazzap correctly points out, your spouse can obtain Platinum status based on your MVCI ownership level by changing the hotel rewards account number associated with your ownership from yours to theirs. It would transfer as one of the MVCI ownership benefits.

Both steps would need to be taken - request Marriott Hotels transfer the rewards account points (MRPs) balance to the surviving spouse AND change the Marriott account number on your timeshare ownership with MVCI. If your spouse isn't already platinum, you can provide that to them now by going ahead and changing the MR account number on your MVCI ownership (then you will both be Platinum).
Yes, just to confirm your belief, the MR Ts & Cs states
"Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone except as provided below. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. In addition, there is a limited exception for the transfer of Points to the accounts of friends or family. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.” Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance. Points cannot be bartered or sold for cash or other consideration. Any Points which Marriott Rewards deems in its sole discretion to have been transferred in violation of Rewards Program Terms and Conditions may be confiscated."
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

forestgump14

TUG Member
Reaction score
It probably doesn't matter to me since I'm Gold Elite anyway, but does this status apply to MVC weeks owners or just DC points members?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It probably doesn't matter to me since I'm Gold Elite anyway, but does this status apply to MVC weeks owners or just DC points members?
Weeks owners need to have enrolled in the DC points programme to be eligible for this status.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Exactly right. When I met the requirements for Lifetime Platinum status with the Marriott Rewards (MR) program through my hotel stays, we switched the MR number associated with our MVCI account from me to DW. Now we both have Lifetime Platinum status, me for hotel loyalty and her for our MVCI ownership. If you use hotels frequently (as we do), I think this is a great perk. Plus, with the Marriott/Starwood deal, your status will now carry over into the SPG hotel portfolio as well. You do need to maintain the required MVCI status level based on what you own as bazzap described to preserve the MR status level.
Can you or someone, explain the need for each spouse to be Platinum Elite? We are Platinum Elite from our MVC Chairmans level and use my MR account number. My wife actually travels more for business using Marriott hotels most of the time than I do. She always uses my MR number and gets all benefits of Platinum Elite status when I'm not there.
I had enough status with Marriott Hotel stays to be Lifetime Gold. Before we got to Chairmans level. Any suggestions of the best strategy for us going forward would be appreciated.
Thanks.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you or someone, explain the need for each spouse to be Platinum Elite? We are Platinum Elite from our MVC Chairmans level and use my MR account number. My wife actually travels more for business using Marriott hotels most of the time than I do. She always uses my MR number and gets all benefits of Platinum Elite status when I'm not there.
I had enough status with Marriott Hotel stays to be Lifetime Gold. Before we got to Chairmans level. Any suggestions of the best strategy for us going forward would be appreciated.
Thanks.
The need for each spouse to be Platinum Elite is that, based on the MR Ts & Cs, your wife is not actually eligible to receive all the benefits of your status if you are not staying with her.
As you say, she does receive these benefits in practice, but really she shouldn't.
(MR does not offer a "couples" membership, which I believe it should, but that is another matter)
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Benefits of Elite Membership are reserved for Members only and apply only to the one guest room in which the Elite Member is staying. As proof of eligibility, a Rewards Program Membership Number is required when making reservations.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks.
We find the main difference to be when we travel as a family. Under the recent changes to the Gold/Platinum Concierge Lounge Access benefit, the entitlement is now only for the member and 1 guest. So, when we travel as a family of 4 we were running into issues with certain full-service Marriott hotels that would only allow me and 1 of my other 3 family members to utilize the Concierge Lounge. (Not a choice I am interested in making.) Now with both of us holding MR Platinum, I no longer have that issue once I remind the staff that both of us are Platinum and we are each bringing one of our two children in with us. I suppose they could argue the point that we are only occupying one room, but the benefit says one guest per member, not one guest per room.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
The need for each spouse to be Platinum Elite is that, based on the MR Ts & Cs, your wife is not actually eligible to receive all the benefits of your status if you are not staying with her.
As you say, she does receive these benefits in practice, but really she shouldn't.
(MR does not offer a "couples" membership, which I believe it should, but that is another matter)
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
Benefits of Elite Membership are reserved for Members only and apply only to the one guest room in which the Elite Member is staying. As proof of eligibility, a Rewards Program Membership Number is required when making reservations.
Barry and Kds4, thanks for the info and explanations. I guess I'm usually out "parking the car" while my wife is checking in to the hotel rooms so the front desk people don't make an issue out of it. She has even been "allowed" to bring 2 guests into the Concierge lounge for breakfast. I guess it depends where it is and how busy the hotel is.
We should look into getting both of us to Platinum Elite status.
Thanks.

Mauifun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry and Kds4, thanks for the info and explanations. I guess I'm usually out "parking the car" while my wife is checking in to the hotel rooms so the front desk people don't make an issue out of it. She has even been "allowed" to bring 2 guests into the Concierge lounge for breakfast. I guess it depends where it is and how busy the hotel is.
We should look into getting both of us to Platinum Elite status.
Thanks.

I am Lifetime Platinum Elite and also have 4 timeshares, and we are in the Destination Points Program. The deeds are in our family trust. I wished to make my wife gold or platinum based on our destination points program as mentioned in the early posts on this thread. I have called both Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards and neither has ever heard of this or how to make it happen. I would like to know who I might talk to or what number you called to make it happen.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just phoned MVC Owner Services (in Cork, as we live in the UK) and they can unlink one MR Account number and link the other (partner) MR Account number.
The only thing I am unsure of is the timing of the change, as I called them just before the new benefit was introduced (in February 2017?), so I don't know if you do it now how quickly the benefit becomes effective but they should be able to tell you that.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am Lifetime Platinum Elite and also have 4 timeshares, and we are in the Destination Points Program. The deeds are in our family trust. I wished to make my wife gold or platinum based on our destination points program as mentioned in the early posts on this thread. I have called both Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards and neither has ever heard of this or how to make it happen. I would like to know who I might talk to or what number you called to make it happen.
Thanks.
Check out this post Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17 which seems to outline the cutoff dates to make a change and when such change would go into effect.