• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ebay purchase recommendations [Buying a Tahoe trader]

Sharkie_Fan

Reaction score
I almost purchased a timeshare on ebay (for 1$), but started wondering if it was legit, and came across this website. I've started trying to wade through all the information here, but there's SO much that it's a bit overwhelming!

I started off by reading Steve Nelson's Timeshare 101. I've browsed through the various threads.

We're in Northern California. Looking at a timeshare in Tahoe - which we would probably use most of the time. Occasionally we'd like to transfer to Southern California (to take the kids to disneyland). Occasionally, we may like to transfer to Florida - although in the past when we've done that, it was with a larger group of family and we rented a house large enough to house us all, so Florida may not be a necessity.

So, onto the questions:

1) Several of the units listed have 2012 usage available. I understand that the more popular times will have been taken already (most likely). I'm curious if there will be anything left between now and the end of summer? If I got a unit with 2012 usage, I'd prefer to take a week during this summer rather than take the kids out of school sometime later in the year. What are the chances?

2) As I said before, we'd probably say at our home resort most of the time - but would occasionally want to trade out. For the forseeable future, we'd probably stay primarily in California, or perhaps our direct neighbors. But probably not big trips. We're looking, most likely, at the Ridge Tahoe (yes, I know it's out of town, but that's actually part of the appeal!). I recognize that it may not be the strongest trader should we want to go to a popular destination. Might we be better off purchasing a more popular destination and trading into Tahoe when we wanted to visit there?

I suspect the answer to #2 is that even with the Ridge not being a great trader if we're going to use it more often than not then it's a better choice. But I'm looking to have my thinking validated. :)

Also, any reading that you all can recommend. I've read several of the threads for newbies, and I've tried searching for answers to things I'm curious about, but there's ALOT of info here... So now that you all have an idea of what's going through my mind, perhaps you can help get me pointed in the right direction!

So glad I found you all before I made a decision I might have ended up regretting!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For trading, buy a timeshare where you can reserve a 2 bdm for Christmas/New Years to deposit for trading - that will give you the highest trading power in Tahoe. It doesn't have to be a fixed week, that week just has to be available to you.

For Anaheim, I'd buy a resort that trades in RCI, because there are only 4 timeshares in Anaheim and they primarily trade with RCI. The Disney Vacation Club only trades with RCI and it is a VERY difficult trade, requires a lot of points, and is virtually impossible to get during school holidays. Successful exchanging requires a strong trader, skill, persistence, and luck - it's a lot more complicated than just making a reservation.

BTW - it's too late to buy a timeshare to use this summer - the transfer can takes weeks or months. But that's OK - you shouldn't rush into a purchase anyway - I recommend that you rent this summer, and spend 6 mos. with us doing your research before you buy. I GUARANTEE that what you buy in 6 mos will be different than what you would buy now. You should really stay at the Ridge before you buy there. To us, it doesn't "feel" like it's in Tahoe, and everything requires a drive. I also don't like driving steep Kingsbury Grade in the snow.

If you join TUG, you will have access to our extensive Tahoe ratings and reviews that will be a huge help in making your decision.

Last edited:

Sharkie_Fan

Reaction score
We have stayed at the Ridge and really enjoyed it. So we at least have that covered. And I hate snow, so aside from the occasional odd snow (which we hit last time we were there), driving in the snow up the hill won't be an issue!

Yesterday was going to be a total impulse buy. I had nothing to do at the office and started browsing eBay and saw the ad for the ridge closing today with 2012 usage and thought "cool, one dollar summer vacation! ". Fortunately my need to see if I was getting scammed led me here first!

Thanks for the quick response and advice. Looking forward to learning more about what we might be getting ourselves into. :)

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't be tempted by a "one dollar summer vacation". After that first summer vacation you'll have to pay the Maintenance Fees every year. So do lots of research and ask questions about things you don't understand.

I can be easy to buy one for $1, but tough to get rid of it. Make sure you purchase the right timeshare for your family and vacation needs.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sound like a good candidate for a Worldmark membership. They've got a couple resorts in Tahoe along with several others sprinkled throughout the state. Your cost of admission will be a little more, but you will have more flexibility.

Sharkie_Fan

Reaction score
Don't be tempted by a "one dollar summer vacation". After that first summer vacation you'll have to pay the Maintenance Fees every year. So do lots of research and ask questions about things you don't understand.

I can be easy to buy one for $1, but tough to get rid of it. Make sure you purchase the right timeshare for your family and vacation needs.

I know all about the ongoing maintenance fees...

I was only tempted by the 1$ summer vacation because we hadn't planned to really go anywhere this summer. There was just too much going on for us to do a big trip.... so the thought of getting a 2012 week to use this summer for 1$ (seller paying transfer fees & closing fees, etc) was tempting.

And I shouldn't say that this would have been a TOTAL impulse buy. We looked at buying at The Ridge several years ago, but at that time, a 2BR lockoff was still selling for >$1000, and the sellers wanted the buyer to pay all the fees, and we never got around to really looking that seriously.

So I have looked into this some, but never here - which is an incredible resource if one can wade through all the information!

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Have you considered TS rentals rather than ownership in order to have affordable vacations where you want to go . . . and when?

You should definitely be able to rent in Orlando for less than what your MF + exchange fee would be. Not sure about Tahoe and/or Anaheim.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest you look at Wyndham..they have resorts in Tahoe, Anaheim and Florida, all the places you mentioned, and if you buy Tahoe as your home resort their fees are among the lowest in the system,,,,

Worldmark however might be your better choice, they are much stronger in the west, but they do have a resort in Orlando and Daytona Beach

Worldmark is more expensive up front but with cheaper ongoing fees than Wyndham....Wyndhan is cheaper up front , but the fees can be higher

In any case its too late for the summer, by the time your deal closes, even though you might have some included 2012 usage with your purchase, the summer will be over

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Denise regarding "the Ridge area" that being said we have stayed at the WM Zephyr Cove several times

I would consider a Marriott Platinum for maximum trading power

Sharkie_Fan

Reaction score
Suggest you look at Wyndham..they have resorts in Tahoe, Anaheim and Florida, all the places you mentioned, and if you buy Tahoe as your home resort their fees are among the lowest in the system,,,,

Worldmark however might be your better choice, they are much stronger in the west, but they do have a resort in Orlando and Daytona Beach

Worldmark is more expensive up front but with cheaper ongoing fees than Wyndham....Wyndhan is cheaper up front , but the fees can be higher

In any case its too late for the summer, by the time your deal closes, even though you might have some included 2012 usage with your purchase, the summer will be over

I'll look at both Worldmark & Wyndham.

Out of curiosity. I've seen all sorts of posts along the lines of "That's a good deal for maintenance fees for that many points" or "That seems expensive for that many points", but I haven't been able to find any guideline for what are reasonable fees per point versus expensive fees per point (or per 1000 points, or however you want to figure it).

How often to maintenance fees change? Are they like everything else in life (it seems) and they're going to increase each year? Or do they increase at a slower rate?

At first glance, if I'm reading things right, Worldmark appears to be straight up points. The way I read it, you have X number of points, and you can use them to go to whatever Worldmark resort you want. Is that right?

If I were to stay in Tahoe 75% of the time, is this still a good option, as opposed to actually buying a Tahoe unit and trading out on the odd occasions I would go elsewhere?

Since I won't be able to buy & use for summer, I have some time to make a decision (yay for resisting the impulse buy!). End of the year holidays are too crazy to get away from home, so I'll look around and start formulating a plan for next summer, and we'll probably stick with our little day trips around home for this summer.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Vacation Ownership (Fairfield) and Worldmark (Trendwest) by Wyndham are two completely different systems, even though they share the inventory at Zephyr Cove

Both are the results of acquisitions by Cendant Corporation which ultimately became branded with the Wyndham name

There is a Wyndham sub-forum here on Tug which blends the two products, but tends to be more Wyndham Vacation Ownership focused (Fairfield).

WVO - Has a deed and home resort with points associated and maintenance fees associated with your home resort/total points assigned

WM - is a membership without a deed, the total maintenance fees for all 50+ resorts allocated proportionately to the points owned by each member, additionally there is a bylaw cap on the maintenance fees increases annually

IMHO - WVO lower purchase cost, higher annual cost (RCI membership is embedded in your MF cost) WM Higher Purchase Price (resale) lower annual cost for Maintenance fees. Both allow for < 7 Days which is an advantage over traditional Timeshare systems

Most people recommend WM for West Coast and WVO for East Coast

There is another forum dedicated to Worldmark WMOWNERS.COM as well as one for WVO, however I can't remember the URL since it is a litte snooty for my tastes

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to stay in Tahoe 75% of the time, is this still a good option, as opposed to actually buying a Tahoe unit and trading out on the odd occasions I would go elsewhere?

I usually book Zephyr Cove 13 Months out

I have been able to get Fourth of July Week

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Out of curiosity. I've seen all sorts of posts along the lines of "That's a good deal for maintenance fees for that many points" or "That seems expensive for that many points", but I haven't been able to find any guideline for what are reasonable fees per point versus expensive fees per point (or per 1000 points, or however you want to figure it).

You want to look at the TUG Wyndham/Worldmark forum for that info.

often to maintenance fees change? Are they like everything else in life (it seems) and they're going to increase each year? Or do they increase at a slower rate?

Like the cost of living, maintenance fees increase every year - and sometimes they increase much faster than the cost of living. I have one that has doubled in 10 years.

With Wyndham/Worldmark points, you are using your points to make a reservations, and if you know the reservation rules, it's pretty straight forward. With exchanging, there are a lot more variables to consider, and skills required, so for a newbie, points is an easier way to get started.

I like the Worldmark in Tahoe a LOT. It is the newest resort in Tahoe and it's walking distance to the beach at Lake Tahoe. It is in a more convenient location than the Ridge, and I like the rustic landscaping - you feel like you are in Tahoe, and not in Orlando:

LakeTahoe-ZepherCove-WorldMark.jpg