TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Dubai..! any advice?

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by elleny76, Mar 31, 2017.

1. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

Planning to go Dubai and I have seen couple of Hiltons Hotels. Any advice? best months to go? best weather? tours? Is it safe going with kids? Thanks

2. Buns

Buns TUG Member

My wife and I have been to Dubai on numerous occasions over the eyars and have always stayed at Hilton properties.

AVOID going between late June and mid September - the weather is so hot even the locals leave to get away from the heat. This year has seen some rather unseasonable wether, but it is usually OK at other times of the year. Dubai has grown considerably over the years and roads are very, very busy - i would recommend taking taxis or other transportation, rather than hiring a car as driving is not for the faint hearted.

It is quite safe there for the kids, but you may find the beach properties keep you coralled in one area. Remember, it is a muslim country, so alcohol is very expensive and is only availbale in hotels. Alchohol will not be served in any form during Ramadan.

As for Hilton properties, if you have Hilton status, then use the benefits of Exec Lounges to reduce the costs. We have stayed at Hilton Dubai Creek - small boutique style hotel in the old city, that has super views but only a pool on the roof and the Conrad which is right next to the Dubai Metro system. Both are close to the Airport. The Jumaeriah Beah Hilton is now overlooked by a mass of 50 storey skyscrappers and the Waldorf is out on the Palm so you would find getting elsewhere difficult.

Buns

elleny76 likes this.
  3. brp

brp TUG Member

Make sure you don't have any dope with you, not even little traces on your shoes...

Cheers.

elleny76 likes this.
  4. linsj

linsj TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC
    Years ago when I was in Dubai for three nights on my way to Nairobi, I stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek. Terrific service. I was given a suite upgrade as a gold. The day I checked out, I had to leave before the restaurant opened. So the desk clerk arranged to have room service deliver whatever I wanted for my free breakfast.

I had no trouble getting around the city on public transportation and felt safe wondering around as a single woman.

elleny76 likes this.
  5. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

OMG ..I don't even smoke or drink! that sounds like scary..What do you mean by trace on your shoes? how about if I step on some bad things on the street?

6. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

Thanks... Planning to go couple of time to Atlantis _Dubai..Which Hilton is close by? I need pools and kids parks and places to have fun running.

7. ravenna

ravenna Guest

Resorts Owned:
    elara - las vegas - HGVC
    Errr.....
    Dubai is in UAE.
    In UAE, if you are raped and go to the police, you can be arrested for having illicit sex. This recently happened to a British woman. And she wasn't even accusing a UAE citizen - it had nothing to do with the government trying to protect its own men from a foreigner's accusations (which would still be appalling but somewhat more understandable). She was accusing two British male tourists. She was raped; she asked the police for help achieving justice, and they did exactly what UAE law entitles them to do: they arrested the victim on the grounds of being a slut. They confiscated her passport, held her in a UAE jail, and threatened her with prison. (I believe the British government secured her release about a month later... but can you imagine what that must have been like for her?)

That's the law of the country you propose to go to.
    That's the country and culture you're supporting with your tourist dollars.
    Additionally, if the kids' dad is a UAE citizen (and/or if he is any kind of Arab or Muslim) and decides to kidnap the kids while you are in UAE, you will have little recourse. The custody laws are entirely on the side of the male.
    I happen to know this because my ex is, in fact, from that part of the world and I had to take a lot of careful measures to ensure my children weren't stolen when things went south between us.

I wouldn't go to a place like that. Wouldn't risk my safety or my kids' safety. And wouldn't pour my money into such a place. It's a bit like visiting S. Africa during apartheid, IMO: why reward a monstrous system by throwing your dollars at them? UAE has worked hard to paint a veneer of "Shiny Arab Disney" all over themselves, but it's a bit like a dystopian novel: under the shine, it's a slave society that runs on injustice. You'll see the smiling men in the expensive suits, welcoming you with western-style handshakes and elaborate courtesy. You won't see the Ethiopian maids whose passports are held by their employers and who endure every kind of hell with no escape from their enslavement.

Up to you, though. At the very least, if you go, arm yourself with knowledge of the law.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    elleny76 likes this.