*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

DRI - We Own Deeded Week - Can I rent it Out?

Discussion in 'All Other Timeshare Systems' started by debbie1102, Apr 30, 2010.

1. debbie1102

debbie1102 TUG Member

Hi,
    I've always thought about renting out our timeshare at Kaanapali Beach Club. It is a deeded week and not points. The legal documents online at DRI refer to the "Club" (not a member) and say renting is not allowed.

My question is as a deeded weeks owner, I can still reserve a week and then rent it out myself, is that correct? I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly. I don't want any problem for the renter. Thanks for any response.

P.S. Love the site. I learn so much about using my timeshare and getting my money's worth. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SHARES!!

2. teepeeca

teepeeca TUG Member

This is "my" take of the situation. YOU OWN the week; you are NOT in "the club"---which prevents renting; therefore--you CAN DO whatever you want to do with YOUR property.

If you want to reserve your week, and rent it out, it is "your" choice.

Tony

3. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Timeshare Seller Speaks With Forked Tongue.

Last time we took the DRI timeshare sales pitch (Grand Beach Resort, Orlando FL, January 2010) the timeshare seller said it is OK to rent out our club-reserved weeks if we so desire.

Not sure whether he meant renting out is specifically permitted, or whether he meant that there's no mechanism in place to keep us from renting out a club-reserved week or to catch us at it if we do it. Regardless, he said nothing would keep us from renting out club reservations if we choose.

The timeshare seller's lips were moving when he said it, so that's 1 big cloud on his veracity right there.

In any case, when no club is involved & no exchange is involved, there's no reason you can't rent out your own deeded timeshare week, period.

Full Disclosure: We didn't buy -- just picked up our timeshare tour freebies & headed on out.

Ka-ching !

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. debbie1102

debbie1102 TUG Member

I'm glad to get another opinion. Plus one that thinks like I do ;)
    And I know any words that come out of a salesmans' mouth are not to be taken literally.
    Thanks,

Debbie

5. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

If you're a deeded week owner and not a member of THE Club, then you can rent your week to whomever you wish and advertise it wherever you want.

If you're a member of THE Club, DRI put limitations on renters due to a few who bought larger numbers of points to use as a cottage rental business of their own. At this time, if you're a member of DRI's points based reservations system, as I understand it you may only rent your points to family members, close friends, co-workers or someone else you know personally. You may not rent to someone you do not know or advertise rentals using various means such as websites like TUG, Timeshareforums or Redweek.

This rule prevents someone from buying thousands of points, automatically reserving the most popular weeks without the intent of using them personally and then renting them, thus depriving regular THE Club members from taking a planned family vacation. THE Club was intended as a way to take vacations and not for someone to buy trust based points ultra cheap on the resale market, then use those points as their own rental income business. That's the intention of the rule.

I have co-workers that are sometimes interested in taking vacations and I have extra points that I usually sell back to DRI after I've reserved (or planned) what I'm going to use. I have verified that, so long as the person I rent my points to is someone I know, then I'm all right.

To be honest, these last couple of years I've offered points to co-workers at a rate slightly above what DRI would give me but below what I'm actually paying in MF's (I figure I'd only get 5 cents per point anyway) but no one has taken me up on the offer. Everyone always talkd a good game about taking vacations but they rarely ever act on the discussion.

6. Kauai Kid

Kauai Kid TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Don't spend the money yet.

We had two oceanfront weeks for rent at the Point at Poipu on Kauai and never got a single inquiry.

Rental was in red week and TUG.

Sterling

7. csalter2

csalter2 TUG Member

Yes, you can.

Simply put, you can rent your DRI deeded week to others.