• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

oneely

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy back and voluntary surrender are two entirely different things.

I think that voluntary surrender would be easy in a really ethical company, which Diamond is not. Instead they have consistently denied that it exists and are not pubicly acknowledging it's existence even now!

Buy back is beyond Diamond's ability because they are basically dishonest and rip off customers every chance they get. They will never pay you back any of the money you spent! They stay just inside the law, most of the time, but really don't have the customers best interest at heart,

Don't expect a real Buy Back program from Diamond. Your investment was primarily to pay high pressure salesmen and women to separate you from your hard earned cash with the promise of Nirvana. The old saying still applies, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stay vacationed with your own money!

oneely

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am happy for those who were able to finally get rid of the millstone of monthly payments they could no longer afford. When I can no longer travel I will avail myself of this option, if Diamond still offers it. And thanks to this forum for spreading the information that Diamond doesn't want to acknowledge.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
they wouldnt really buy back anything that has no resale value...nor would there be much need for such a program as if DRI packages had significant resale value...these folks utilizing the deedback feature could just offload them on the resale market.

densed

Reaction score
I have deeded and points in a Diamond Timeshare. I would like to start the deed back process now, but I am wondering if I should wait since I have a scheduled vacation in mid September to use up some points. If I start the deed back now, will that effect my current vacation plans. Should I start it in late September, after vacation? If I do start it in late September, that might take the finalization into the new year 2017, since it looks like some deed backs take about 6 months to complete. If I go into the new year, would I be required to pay a full new years worth of maintenance fees and assessment fees before the deed back is complete?
If the transfer go thru before you take your vacation the reservation at the DRI resort will be cancelled. So when you get the paperwork to transfer the deed back to DRI, take your time and do not sent it till a week or so after your vacation.
If on the other hand, if you change the usage to a II exchange, the minute they are booked, the points are deducted from DRI and can not be cancelled by DRI.

Wondering if I should start it all closer to early September, near my scheduled vacation. On messages #317, #397 and #392, they state you are only given 30 days to return the document/check to the office after they are mailed to you.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We've been sitting on paperwork since March. When we called they said just send it in when you are ready. We'll get it notarized before we leave for Los Abrigados and Santa Fe next month, so it will be all ready for the mail when we return.

Michelle14

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found this site yesterday morning and submitted my email yesterday. I did receive a response within a couple of hours saying although my quarterly dues were up to date all of 2016 must be paid off prior to surrendering my points. We did that right away and emailed them to let them know it had been paid. Today we get the email about the company acquiring Diamond.. I hope this does not stop the process... I want to be rid of this nightmare ASAP.

MAZxxx

Reaction score
DRI deedbacks

I just found this site yesterday morning and submitted my email yesterday. I did receive a response within a couple of hours saying although my quarterly dues were up to date all of 2016 must be paid off prior to surrendering my points. We did that right away and emailed them to let them know it had been paid. Today we get the email about the company acquiring Diamond.. I hope this does not stop the process... I want to be rid of this nightmare ASAP.

I am in the same position, I was advised to hold off submitting my request until nearer my time, which is not until December. They told me I would lose this year's time otherwise, and I can't as I have already booked flights.

I have emailed them to see what the current position is.

Michelle14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please share what you find out. I emailed them yesterday to confirm that my payment was made and to find out what the next step would be but have not heard back. If I don't hear anything today I will call them tomorrow.

Last edited:

Michelle14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received email that my surrender paperwork is being created and will be mailed in 7 to 10 business days. Whew!!!!:cheer :cheer:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Letter came today, that our deeds have been transferred and our account has been closed. Sent in our request for deedback on 10-12-15. Almost 9 months to get rid of our twin babies! Happy Day!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great to see this thread still alive and DRI still taking intervals back!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Letter came today, that our deeds have been transferred and our account has been closed. Sent in our request for deedback on 10-12-15. Almost 9 months to get rid of our twin babies! Happy Day!

I guess that's probably less than it would take if you were trying to sell it or give it on the open market.

tstraveler2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just sent my email requesting to give my points back. Used the info on this thread (thank you!)

2 questions: (1) From reading a few of the posts (didn't try to read them all), if DRI accepts this transaction, can I safely assume that I am looking at 6-9 months at least? (2) When I sent the email, I listed both contracts (US Collection). However, their response only listed one of them. Did they ignore the other or just listed one?

jenniflg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fingers Crossed

I just found this site and it is an answer to my prayers! We have points with Diamond that we originally purchased with ILX back in 2006. We have only used the TS 3 times in the past 10 years. In May we used a week and the "owners update" was horrible. Basically they told us we had to pay another $14,000 to convert to Diamond and get more points or what we had was useless and that our MF would be going up drastically. After 2 1/2 hours I just walked out in tears. Totally ruined the vacation. I sent my email to loss mitigation yesterday and received my ticket number last night. Fingers crossed that we will be free of these crooks. If this works TUGBrian you will be my angel!!:clap:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Very glad to hear that they are still handing out ticket numbers, which presumably means they are still in the take back mode. We go to the notary on Friday and will mail in paperwork that day. Will be just our luck that it is processed immediately and we will be locked out of our three rooms in Santa Fe on the 23rd, or our single room at Los Abrigados on the 29th. We'd planned to mail paperwork Aug 1st when we get back home, but are getting antsy.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just found this site and it is an answer to my prayers! We have points with Diamond that we originally purchased with ILX back in 2006. We have only used the TS 3 times in the past 10 years. In May we used a week and the "owners update" was horrible. Basically they told us we had to pay another $14,000 to convert to Diamond and get more points or what we had was useless and that our MF would be going up drastically. After 2 1/2 hours I just walked out in tears. Totally ruined the vacation. I sent my email to loss mitigation yesterday and received my ticket number last night. Fingers crossed that we will be free of these crooks. If this works TUGBrian you will be my angel!!:clap:

my fingers are crossed for you too!

whatever you do dont pay 14k to upgrade a thing!

47vampire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
DRI Deedback

Thanks to all who have posted about this. It has been great. I finally sent my first email request on July 6. I got my case # email and waited a few days. I started calling different times of day and leaving messages.(877-497-7521 option 1 for English and then option 3) Never got any return phone calls but today on call #2 for the day I finally got a very helpful young lady named Sharissa (spelling?).

My situation is I was on this time share deed at Los Abrigados (purchased under ILX) with my sister who died in 2010. Now have too many timeshares to use. I was informed that First American Title Company will be doing the work on this one and in about 45 days I should receive a warranty deed affidavit and joint tenant documents I will complete and return with an original notarized death certificate and $250. She told me if I have not received it by the end of August, to call back as they have a lot of these request. Different states may have different rules about what is required for probate, etc. but I feel lucky on this one. A Florida unit I have requires probate. I will keep you posted and keep calling every few weeks to make sure it is progressing.
Thanks again Tuggers.;

47vampire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton
DRI Deedback for Villa de Santa Fe

Tuggers,
My deceased sister also owned Villas de Santa Fe and a third sister is on that deed. Has anyone done deedback with this resort and succeeded?
Thanks for any comments.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You would need to contact them to find out. Some deeded weeks qualify but I am not sure if all do.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If one owns a fixed week at Bryan's Spanish Cove, and this resort is now listed on Diamond Resorts' website, does the fixed deed qualify for deedback?
https://www.diamondresortsandhotels.com/Resorts/Bryans-Spanish-Cove-Orlando

One of our weeks was a fixed deeded week. That part has nothing to do with it. They are, however, selective about what resorts from which they'll accept a deed. As mentioned above you'll need to contact DRI's loss mitigation department.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've passed the info along to my friend who owns at Bryan's Spanish Cove.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Just spent the last day of another wonderful trip to Santa Fe. This morning we mailed our two US contracts back (37,000 points) return receipt requested (so we do not have to fret over whether they actually got our envelope). While we were wandering the Wheelwright Museum Cliff got a call from the concierge at Los Abrigados, our stop in Sedona on the way home to LA. They know we just declined to buy anything six days ago at our Event of a Lifetime at Sedona Summit, yet they want us to come sit with them on Friday with the incentive of $120 in resort credit. Not happening! (Well, maybe if they change that to a $100 Amex card since we aren't doing anything besides chilling and keeping me out of the stores -- have a Mexican style home so a driving trip to the southwest always begets more treasures!)

sssung

Reaction score
Just spent the last day of another wonderful trip to Santa Fe. This morning we mailed our two US contracts back (37,000 points) return receipt requested (so we do not have to fret over whether they actually got our envelope). While we were wandering the Wheelwright Museum Cliff got a call from the concierge at Los Abrigados, our stop in Sedona on the way home to LA. They know we just declined to buy anything six days ago at our Event of a Lifetime at Sedona Summit, yet they want us to come sit with them on Friday with the incentive of $120 in resort credit. Not happening! (Well, maybe if they change that to a $100 Amex card since we aren't doing anything besides chilling and keeping me out of the stores -- have a Mexican style home so a driving trip to the southwest always begets more treasures!)

Congrats!!!:clap: