• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI Hawaii Collection include more California Collection resorts

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
At an update today we were shown the list of the new Hawaii Collection. It now includes the former California Collection.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least we now know the meaning of Diamond Clarity™ : "The lies will continue"

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii Collection has home resort benefit (13 months reservation) in the California Collection since 2015 (in 2014 they increased from 4 to 7 the number of resort in HI Collection).
This is from the 2015 annual meeting presentation (pdf)
upload_2017-1-30_7-55-18.png

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Maybe it was touted as "new" because Avila Beach has been added. We are aware of the others on the list above. I now have access 13 months out (Feb 28, 2018) in Avila Beach when I check. Comment was made that "you'll see lots of time at Avila Beach open up as the 13 months roll forward."

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why DRI just can't leave things alone with the HI collection. I believe they have gotten into the position, particularly with the Ka'anapali Beach and the Point at Po'ipu that demand far outstrips supply. Are they adding more just so the folks that can't get into the Hawaiian resorts can go somewhere else?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I don't understand why DRI just can't leave things alone with the HI collection. I believe they have gotten into the position, particularly with the Ka'anapali Beach and the Point at Po'ipu that demand far outstrips supply. Are they adding more just so the folks that can't get into the Hawaiian resorts can go somewhere else?
I think that's it exactly and when we go to Avila Beach ( a four hour drive for us) we aren't using those points in Hawaii so that frees up space for someone else.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avila Beach does look nice. Looks like a hidden gem.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No - they're doing it so that they can sell more "Hawaii Trust" points. People want to go to Hawaii. The resorts they own in Hawaii are all sold out. So how to sell access to Hawaii??? Simple! Add more resorts to the Hawaii collection. Of course that means that within the Hawaii Collection there will be more people fighting for the same number of units. And the number of Hawaii units that become generally available at ten months before check-in will shrink.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avila Beach does look nice. Looks like a hidden gem.
Avila is NOT a hidden gem - it is only an average resort. Nice, but nowwhere near a gem.

Reaction score
At an update today we were shown the list of the new Hawaii Collection. It now includes the former California Collection.

I'm not certain this is anything new. We were told years ago that as Hawaii Trust owners we had "home" privileges when booking at resorts in the California Collection. To my recollection however, reciprocal home privileges are NOT extended to Hawaii resorts for California Trust owners. To quote Talking Heads, "same as it ever was."

"At an update..." pretty much says it all.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hawaii collection now has 7 resorts BUT US collection has about 35 resorts

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain this is anything new. We were told years ago that as Hawaii Trust owners we had "home" privileges when booking at resorts in the California Collection. To my recollection however, reciprocal home privileges are NOT extended to Hawaii resorts for California Trust owners. To quote Talking Heads, "same as it ever was."

"At an update..." pretty much says it all.
Mu understanding, based on both sales presentations, conversations with reservations supervisors, and a reading ot program documenters .... and restricting the discussion to owners in Collections ....

"Home Reservation" rights extend to resorts within the Collection owned. Hawaii Collection owners have Home Reservation advantages to resorts in the Hawaii Collection. They have access to Home Reservation Advantage in resorts that are in the California only to the extent that deeds in those resorts are part of the Hawaii Collection.

There is nothing to prohibit a resort from being in more than one collection. That's simply a matter of inventory assignment.

It's easier with an example. Let's say there is DRI resort in Santa Cecilia, California that has 40 units. If those 40 units are divided into 50 one-week parcels (leaving two weeks per year for maintenance and upkeep), that means there are 2,000 weeks associated with the ownership. Now let's say that the Santa Cecilia property has been assigned to both the California and Hawaii Collections.

On the sales floor, the sales force offers buyers the opportunity to buy into either the California or Hawaii collections. The buyer chooses which collection. Based on what the buyer chooses, the appropriate amount of inventory is put into whichever of the two Collections the buyer chooses.

Then let's say that based on buyer choices, 500 weeks at Santa Cecilia are in the Hawaii Collection, 100 weeks are in the California collection, and 500 weeks are unsold inventory. Then Hawaii Collection owners will have Home Resort for 500 weeks at Santa Cecilia. California Collection owners will have Home Resort Advantage to 1000 weeks. The other 500 weeks will be for DRI to use.

That being said, the next question that arises is how the resort allocates that inventory. And since DRI runs the reservation controls the BoD at the resort, as well as operating the reservation system, the question is how that inventory gets allocated. Does DRI get first pick, and the collections get the spoils? For each check-in day, do they set aside a certain fraction for Hawaii Collection, a certain fraction for California Collection, and a certain fraction for DRI? Or is it totally first come, frist served until the allocations run out?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Home Reservation" rights extend to resorts within the Collection owned. Hawaii Collection owners have Home Reservation advantages to resorts in the Hawaii Collection. They have access to Home Reservation Advantage in resorts that are in the California only to the extent that deeds in those resorts are part of the Hawaii Collection.

I understand that this is the normal structure of a Diamond Collection, but there seems to be a few deviations. Members of the US Collection have Home Collection Priority at 12 resorts at which the Collection does not own any deeded weeks. These resorts are all part of the Premiere Vacation Collection (the former ILX system).

I'm not altogether sure what is going on, but it appears that DRI assigns use rights controlled by the PVC trust to the US Collection. The US Collection is not billed the annual maintenance fees for these use rights.

Similarly, members of the Hawaii Collection have Home Collection Priority at four resorts (Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, Tahoe Beach and Ski Club, San Luis Bay Inn, Polo Towers Suite) at which the Collection owns no deeds.

In the case of these two examples, DRI does not sell points in the PVC or California Collection.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mu understanding, based on both sales presentations, conversations with reservations supervisors, and a reading ot program documenters .... and restricting the discussion to owners in Collections ....

There is nothing to prohibit a resort from being in more than one collection. That's simply a matter of inventory assignment.

It's easier with an example. Let's say there is DRI resort in Santa Cecilia, California that has 40 units. If those 40 units are divided into 50 one-week parcels (leaving two weeks per year for maintenance and upkeep), that means there are 2,000 weeks associated with the ownership. Now let's say that the Santa Cecilia property has been assigned to both the California and Hawaii Collections.

On the sales floor, the sales force offers buyers the opportunity to buy into either the California or Hawaii collections. The buyer chooses which collection. Based on what the buyer chooses, the appropriate amount of inventory is put into whichever of the two Collections the buyer chooses.

Then let's say that based on buyer choices, 500 weeks at Santa Cecilia are in the Hawaii Collection, 100 weeks are in the California collection, and 500 weeks are unsold inventory. Then Hawaii Collection owners will have Home Resort for 500 weeks at Santa Cecilia. California Collection owners will have Home Resort Advantage to 1000 weeks. The other 500 weeks will be for DRI to use.

That being said, the next question that arises is how the resort allocates that inventory. And since DRI runs the reservation controls the BoD at the resort, as well as operating the reservation system, the question is how that inventory gets allocated. Does DRI get first pick, and the collections get the spoils? For each check-in day, do they set aside a certain fraction for Hawaii Collection, a certain fraction for California Collection, and a certain fraction for DRI? Or is it totally first come, frist served until the allocations run out?
This is the list of resorts in the California and Hawaii Collection:
California Collection
  1. Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort South Lake Tahoe, CA
  2. San Luis Bay Inn Avila Beach, CA
  3. Tahoe Beach and Ski Club South Lake Tahoe, CA
  4. Polo Towers Suites Las Vegas, NV
  5. Sedona Summit Sedona, AZ
Hawaii Collection
  1. Sedona Summit Resort Sedona, AZ
  2. Palm Canyon Resort and Spa Palm Springs, CA
  3. Ka’anapali Beach Club Maui, HI
  4. The Point at Poipu, Koloa Kauai, HI
  5. Cancun Resort Las Vegas, NV
  6. Polo Towers Villas Las Vegas, NV
  7. Cedar Breaks Lodge & Spa Brian Head, UT
As you can see, only Sedona Summit has intervals like you describe in both Collections but Hawaii Collection members have Home Reservation advantages in both Collections since 2015.
This is how many weeks (September 30, 2016) that are in the Hawaii Collections (weeks that count for the HI MF):
upload_2017-2-12_8-5-41.png

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the list of resorts in the California and Hawaii Collection:
California Collection
  1. Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort South Lake Tahoe, CA
  2. San Luis Bay Inn Avila Beach, CA
  3. Tahoe Beach and Ski Club South Lake Tahoe, CA
  4. Polo Towers Suites Las Vegas, NV
  5. Sedona Summit Sedona, AZ
Hawaii Collection
  1. Sedona Summit Resort Sedona, AZ
  2. Palm Canyon Resort and Spa Palm Springs, CA
  3. Ka’anapali Beach Club Maui, HI
  4. The Point at Poipu, Koloa Kauai, HI
  5. Cancun Resort Las Vegas, NV
  6. Polo Towers Villas Las Vegas, NV
  7. Cedar Breaks Lodge & Spa Brian Head, UT
As you can see, only Sedona Summit has intervals like you describe in both Collections but Hawaii Collection members have Home Reservation advantages in both Collections since 2015.
This is how many weeks (September 30, 2016) that are in the Hawaii Collections (weeks that count for the HI MF):
View attachment 3277
I don't know how many weeks at Sedona Summit are in the California Collection but there is 9943 weeks in the US Collection.
So, 9943+1040+xxxx of the 14582 weeks at Sedona Summit are in US, HI and CA Collections. The remaining weeks are owned by weeks owners.

Last edited:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand that this is the normal structure of a Diamond Collection, but there seems to be a few deviations. Members of the US Collection have Home Collection Priority at 12 resorts at which the Collection does not own any deeded weeks. These resorts are all part of the Premiere Vacation Collection (the former ILX system).

I'm not altogether sure what is going on, but it appears that DRI assigns use rights controlled by the PVC trust to the US Collection. The US Collection is not billed the annual maintenance fees for these use rights.

Similarly, members of the Hawaii Collection have Home Collection Priority at four resorts (Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, Tahoe Beach and Ski Club, San Luis Bay Inn, Polo Towers Suite) at which the Collection owns no deeds.

In the case of these two examples, DRI does not sell points in the PVC or California Collection.
Hi,
I have also 12 resorts in my list but I have Marquis Villas (non PVC resort) in place of Sea of Cortez (PVC resort). Could you try to book at those 2 resorts at more than 10 months with your US account to see if I have an error in my list.
Thanks

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also 12 resorts in my list but I have Marquis Villas (non PVC resort) in place of Sea of Cortez (PVC resort). Could you try to book at those 2 resorts at more than 10 months with your US account to see if I have an error in my list.

You're right, my mistake. There are 11 PVC resorts available to US Collection members in the 13 month window. Sea of Cortez is not included in the arrangement.

Marquis Villas is offered in the 13 month window for US Collection members. Otherwise I don't understand the history of that resort.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're right, my mistake. There are 11 PVC resorts available to US Collection members in the 13 month window. Sea of Cortez is not included in the arrangement.

Marquis Villas is offered in the 13 month window for US Collection members. Otherwise I don't understand the history of that resort.
Thanks. I don't know why Marquis Villas is not in the US Collection like the others Epics resorts.
In 2003, Sunterra acquired Epics Resorts (Desert Paradise Resort, Scottsdale Links Resort, Marquis Villas, Island Links Resort, Daytona Beach Regency, London Bridge Resort).

Bill4728

Reaction score
The some resorts which were once "Monarch Grand Vacations" are in multiple DRI collections including the hawaii, the US, the Monarch Grand and the latin america collection

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The some resorts which were once "Monarch Grand Vacations" are in multiple DRI collections including the hawaii, the US, the Monarch Grand and the latin america collection
For the moment, HI/US Collections don't own a lot of MGV resorts weeks. How many weeks at Cabo Azul are in the Latin America Collection ?
Latin America has only 1 resort and it is Cabo Azul. I don't know why they didn't move Sea of Cortez in it too (both are in Mexico) and also the 2 resorts in St-Maarten.
The 2 resorts in St-Maarten could have been part of Europe Collection too because both side of the Island are owned by European country (French and Netherlands).
The 2 resorts in St-Maarten could have been part of Hawaii Collection and renamed Island Collection because they are all islands. They could have moved the Canary Island resorts too in this Collection. That would be more interesting to have those resorts in the Hawaii Collection than the 5 US mainland resorts in it. Also, the cheaper Canary Island resorts would have lowered the Hawaii Collection MF more than the 5 US mainland resorts.
Why the 2 resorts in St-Maarten are in the US collection ?

Monarch Grand Collection
  1. Cabo Azul Resort San Jose del Cabo, Mexico xxxx% in Latin America Collection
  2. Cancun Resort Las Vegas, NV 18.79% in the Hawaii Collection
  3. Cedar Breaks Lodge & Spa Brian Head, UT 31.45% in the Hawaii Collection
  4. Desert Isle of Palm Springs Palm Springs, CA xxxx% in the US Collection
  5. Palm Canyon Resort & Spa Palm Springs, CA 11.97% in the Hawaii Collection and 1.16% in the US Collection
  6. Riviera Beach & Spa Resort Capistrano Beach, CA 10.11% in the US Collection
  7. Riviera Shores Resort Capistrano Beach, CA 3.23% in the US Collection
  8. Riviera Oaks Resort & Racquet Club Ramona, CA 10.08% in the US Collection
  9. Tahoe Seasons Resort South Lake Tahoe, CA xxxx% in the US Collection

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
  1. Desert Isle of Palm Springs Palm Springs, CA xxxx% in the US Collection
  2. Tahoe Seasons Resort South Lake Tahoe, CA xxxx% in the US Collection

The US Collection owns 26% at Desert Isle and 52% at Tahoe Seasons. The Collection's Annual Report lists this information.

sanderson231

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if an aftermarket buyer of DRI Hawaii collection points would have the ability to book in the California collection resorts where owners of DRI purchased Hawaii collection points currently receive the 13 month out home collection reservation advantage?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, resale points can be used to book into all 11 resorts in the Hawaii Collection.