• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does usage year month really matter?

Wyotug

TUG Member
Reaction score
title says it all. Does it really matter when your usage year starts. Seems to me that it doesn't if you can book 13 months out on any club access property. Am I missing something?

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
The use year mattered to me in the first year of purchase. I wanted enough time for the points to be deeded into my name and enough time to make reservations before the current year points expired.

For example, just say you're considering a 500,000 points contract with a June 30th use year and say the sale includes the 2017 points (assuming you're not buying a contract stripped of its points). The 2017 points will expire this June. Since it's March 17 now, you may or may not have these points in time for you to use. If you're on a school schedule, it makes it even more difficult to use the points prior to June 30th.

After the first year, I agree with Ron, the use year really doesn't matter.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The use year mattered to me in the first year of purchase. I wanted enough time for the points to be deeded into my name and enough time to make reservations before the current year points expired.

For example, just say you're considering a 500,000 points contract with a June 30th use year and say the sale includes the 2017 points (assuming you're not buying a contract stripped of its points). The 2017 points will expire this June. Since it's March 17 now, you may or may not have these points in time for you to use. If you're on a school schedule, it makes it even more difficult to use the points prior to June 30th.

After the first year, I agree with Ron, the use year really doesn't matter.

In reading your post, it got me thinking of other possible differences between use years. The thought then occurred to me that a December 31 use year end date eliminates the ability for VIP members to take advantage of the deep discounts at some resorts in the January to March Quarter where there is plenty of availability at a lot of resorts with the ability to get 1st dibs on available upgrades using points about to expire.

There was a post or two talking about the drying up ability to get things they wanted in December due to the large number of people having that as a end of use year date.

If you take summer vacations a March or June end year would be best. If you have to cancel something, then it gives you more time to use it.

To answer the question does it "really matter" (regarding Club Wyndham Access): Except in the cases named above, no.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does matter. How is up to your travel patterns. A certain use year may better suit you then others.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It can matter. Some people must take vacations when school is NOT in season ... teachers, parents. Booking most vacations early in the USE YEAR would allow a plan to exist IF you had to cancel your primary vacations stays. So a July Use Year, would allow you to 'burn points' ... using up left over points in the Spring (less travel, better weather and vacation time available) might be easier.

If you have a standard calendar Use Year (Jan-Dec) which might be the majority of what Wyndham owners have, you could have a conflict of a pile of Wyndham points to use BUT no vacation days left from work. Plus, resorts might be more heavily booked solid ... holiday travel booking, people using last of their work vacation days & the majority of Wyndham owners trying ti use their vacation points. Plus airfare has peak fares for the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Jewish holidays.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was answering the question from a big picture perspective and As much I always include a back door in my plans, I don't make reservations with the expectation I'm going to cancel them

The fact is No matter your use year, your points always have an expiration date. And if you cancel a reservation near the end of your year, you run the risk if not having time left to use them

Assuming that Wyndham gets the credit pool working right. The answer is to make the reservations you might cancel, from the credit pool

Last edited:

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
It only matters if you get a mid-year contract date with full point only to have wyndham pro-rate those points and adjust use year to Dec. By doing so you loose the front end of points and never get the chance to get the pro-rated points back.

Example:
Mid-year use date
April-March - 100,000 points (Contract Transfers April 1)
you have 12 months & 100k of points

Wyndham Adjusts use year to December 31:

Jan-Dec only 75,000 point (wyndham says only 75% of points are available 7 remaining months divided by 12 = 75%)
Next use year - 100,000
Next use year - 100,000 and so on.

The point being 25,000 points that were available to use are not available. yes you get points sooner next year but you get shorted out of the gate. If vacation plans dont need those points I guess it does not matter. However none of us buys points to not use them so I see first year we get shorted.

Just my way of looking at it but others will/may differ.

After that no issue.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a Jan - Dec use year. If I had my choice I would pick a Apr - Mar use year.

But it doesn't impact use, it has more to do with your timing and pattern of booking.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of one changes the use year to November or December, will the availability be there for ARP? Say you want to go to sea garden in February. If you out are CWA, when does Wyndham start to show availability? Will you have a month or two advantage over all Jan to DEC owners, or will Wyndham not show availability until the 13 month mark for Jan to DEC owners?

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
title says it all. Does it really matter when your usage year starts. Seems to me that it doesn't if you can book 13 months out on any club access property. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE

Yes ... what you are missing is each RESORT has a limited number of vacation units each week. And CWA has a limited number of YEARLY deeded points for that resort ... which can ONLY be used for an ARP booking. So if the CWA USE YEAR is a Jan-Dec and an owner wants a HIGH demand resort for Xmas, all the ARP points owned by CWA to that resort might have already be used.

IMHO.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
linda

I think you have it wrong

What controls availability for CWA owners has to do with the number of units (or for fixed weeks the weeks owned by CWA ) not the number of points

Remember that points are symbolic of ownership

Now Imagine a resort with 10 units that all cost 100000 points per week to reserve. And let's also imagine that this resort is in high demand every week of the year. Our resort would have 52 million points allocated to it. Now let's imagine that 20 percent of the resort is owned by CWA (10.4 million points) or two units

So here we are Dec 1st looking to make a reservation for Jan 1 13 months out. There are only 2 rooms owned by CWA so only 200000 CWA points can be used and that is the same limit for every week of the year. The 10.4 million CWA points allocated to this resort can't be used up any faster than 200000 points a week. So there will still be 2 christmas units available in November the year before. The CWA points generated by this resort can't be used up before then.

Things are different for fixed weeks that are in CWA. Either CWA owns that Christmas week or they don't. iIf they do it will be available 13 months in advance. And if not, not

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of one changes the use year to November or December, will the availability be there for ARP? Say you want to go to sea garden in February. If you out are CWA, when does Wyndham start to show availability? Will you have a month or two advantage over all Jan to DEC owners, or will Wyndham not show availability until the 13 month mark for Jan to DEC owners?

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

There is no November use year

And what's available to reserve is the same fo all of us no matter the use year we own.

Using Christmas week 2018 as our example if I own a December expiration l will use my 2018 points to reserve it and if I own any other use year I'll use my 2019 points to reserve it. But no matter which use year I own it will be available to all of us in november 2017

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
To me, it does matter, given the way I book reservations. All my points renew on January 1st. I ARP into Ocean Walk for Bike Week, which is in March. I can do that in February the year before. Then, I ARP my PresRes points to get 4BR Pres units at Bonnet Creek for Spring Break, which is in either March or April. I can reserve PresRes units fourteen months before check-in so that means making the Spring Break reservations in January or February.

If for example, my use year started on April 1st, I would have to totally change the way I do things for Bike Week every year and for Spring Break about half the time.

I would love to again have a contract or two with other use years but except for a mistake on Wyndham's part, that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
I was illustrating a CWP resort ... not converted fixed weeks. UDI points are totally usable ... i.e. my 1000000 points Royal Vista deed for reserving during ARP all the units I can book for a single date. With a resort consisting of converted CWA fixed weeks during ARP, CWA members can only book using points the deeds held by Club Wyndham Access (CWA).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron,
I was illustrating a CWP resort ... not converted fixed weeks. UDI points are totally usable ... i.e. my 1000000 points Royal Vista deed for reserving during ARP all the units I can book for a single date. With a resort consisting of converted CWA fixed weeks during ARP, CWA members can only book using points the deeds held by Club Wyndham Access (CWA).

So was I,

I understood that you were saying that if some of a UDI resort was in CWA that it was possible that there would be no CWA rooms left at the end of the year

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
title says it all. Does it really matter when your usage year starts. Seems to me that it doesn't if you can book 13 months out on any club access property. Am I missing something?

There is only one time when it might make a difference. At one point I had contracts with several different year end dates. I was not allowed to use Wyndham Club Pass. So, if an account contains contracts with different year end dates, the account cannot reserve WorldMark or any other properties through Wyndham Club Pass.

Jim