• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does RCI TPU change each year?

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to understand the trading power of my week.
My 2016 week was July 19-26 and was worth 55 points.
Now, my 2017 week, July 30-August 6, is now worth 42 points. What's going on with that? That seems like a big difference for a very similar week.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty easy to understand. Your 2017 week will get 42 TPU. The why doesn't really matter.

Even the exact same week can change year-to-year. I had a 10% difference (in the form of an increase) from 2016 to 2017 for two of my deposits.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty easy to understand. Your 2017 week will get 42 TPU. The why doesn't really matter.

I realize the points value is what it is. I'm not expecting to argue the change with RCI or demand it be different.

It's just that I do wonder why. Is it the status of the resort, or how popular it is among exchangers? Is this something that happens frequently? You mentioned a 10% difference. This is about 23 1/2% difference. I think 10% is one thing and 23.5 is quite a big difference.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is it? Southern schools start going back in August, and this is almost a two-week difference that might make a big impact on demand. Heck, even for us up here in the Frozen North, high school sports kick into high gear the first full week of August, and so our summer vacation is constrained to the last week of June and July.

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they update these regularly based on trading supply and demand that they see within their inventory. Same thing has happened with ours, TPU adjustments seem to occur at least annually, and in both good and bad directions.

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's on the CA coast, called Aquamarine Villas.
Like I said, I'm frustrated, because of course, I want the higher points value! But I'm not mad, this is RCI after all. Their game, their rules. I'm just a tiny blip in their system! I know that and am still playing in their system, because I get something out of it as well. I'm just trying to understand.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When trying to calculate TPU value at a resort, I use the Deposit Calculator to test the present value of a given deposit week. Working through the calculator calendar with the same deposit will show a range of what that week is worth. That gives me the range of which reservation week to request from the resort if I intend to deposit it with RCI. (Other companies may not be so strict, which is why I've grown to prefer SFX over RCI.)

In my experience, weeks in July, specifically around the July 4th holiday, tend to have a higher value than the same deposited unit in June or August, and even later in July. After Labor Day the value may drop again. Things tend to follow the holiday calendar, with holiday weeks generally having a higher TPU. It varies by resort, of course, and the relative desirability of what is being deposited.

So the best test would be to find the value this year of the exact week and unit you deposited last year. If there is a great value difference, then there is reason to question whether the resort has lost value in RCI's estimation.

Dave

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Dave!! That is excellent information. I will use your suggestions. I appreciate it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It could be your weeks Tpu was adjusted down. I had a few of my fixed weeks go down in Tpu value this year but the people requesting had to use lots more TPUs then I was given.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what type of deposit you have, but when playing with the deposit calculator for your resort and approx. dates mentioned, RCI calculator is showing the same TPUs for both years assuming you deposited both early on. You may want to run your exact deposits through the calculator to double check what they are giving you.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have deposited yesterday than you lost 10% because July 30, 2017 is in 169 days and the remaining diff would be a lost of trading power of your resort and/or the whole area.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
YOUPPI has it on the head. I own there and deposited similar week - end July 2017 and got 54. But I deposited it over a year ago (at about the 20 month mark).

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always deposit July 4th week at the beach almost two years out. The TPUs I received have steadily decreased since the TPU program started.
Maybe the resort ages. Maybe it doesn't get such hot reviews from other exchangers.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always deposit July 4th week at the beach almost two years out. The TPUs I received have steadily decreased since the TPU program started.
Maybe the resort ages. Maybe it doesn't get such hot reviews from other exchangers.

All possibilities, to be sure, but I wouldn't rule out RCI just unilaterally "tilting the playing field" without real or justifiable basis for doing so. :rolleyes:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the Northeast, high school football (and other fall sports) practice starts Aug 1st....while HS classes start after Labor Day. Colleges tend to start a bit earlier. Parents have to spend $$ for school clothes, shoes and supplies.

And by the beginning August, most parents just want the back in school.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has been reducing the value of my TPUs in the weeks system every year. When a friend first told me about it, splitting up the deposit yielded 95 points. Now, 63. I tested it for next year: 60. They claim it's due to development in the area but the resort told me that's complete crap. I'm about ready to bail on RCI in the weeks system. I get a lot more value out of my points membership.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
RCI has been reducing the value of my TPUs in the weeks system every year. When a friend first told me about it, splitting up the deposit yielded 95 points. Now, 63. I tested it for next year: 60. They claim it's due to development in the area but the resort told me that's complete crap. I'm about ready to bail on RCI in the weeks system. I get a lot more value out of my points membership.

I think that's what RCI is counting on. They can mess with Points as they wish, and owners can't fight it. TPU is essentially a points system, and can be adjusted at RCI's whim. For me, the value of owning Weeks is that no matter how you slice it, a week is still seven nights. If you want to get full value from your ownership, stay where you own, or exchange internally within your ownership group. Exchanges through RCI continue to be a losing proposition, as not only do you need more TPU to get an exchange, but the fees RCI charges are getting higher and higher, too. :shrug:

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
On the subject of RCI, just when I figure out the navigation on the web page. They change it. Anyone else ?
Silentg