• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does II deposit first trading power really diminish over time?

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find that thread and I'm looking for up to date information. Here's what happened:
I sent II an email using the tug members' email address. Within 15 minutes, a customer service rep called me on the phone. He wouldn't answer my question about the best time to deposit, claiming that the information wasn't available to him, but in the course of the conversation he told me that the trading power of a deposited week diminishes over time. I couldn't believe I was understanding him correctly, so I asked him to clarify. He insisted that if I used my deposited week soon after deposit, it would have more power than if I used it months later (not within the last 60 days). The only explanation that makes sense to me is that there would be more time left to exchange with an earlier search than for a later one, hence possibly more options, but that isn't what he said.

Has anyone tested this? I only have one deposit now, so I can't run a test myself.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have deposited weeks at slightly over sixty days out and have seen no difference between depositing a year out vs. 60 days. Never deposit within 60 days. It's a pickle of a problem, especially with eplus retrade. I am in competition with lots of others for those wonderful trades within 60 days. Things have changed with eplus retrade.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that would typically be true. BUT my resort was downgraded from silver to nothing and my prior deposit was downgraded also.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I think the info he gave you is wrong. Once I deposit any of my weeks, I seem to have the same trading power whether I use it right away or a year later.

Maybe the rep was confused. Supposedly, the closer to you use date you deposit, power diminishes, but I haven't noticed a change if I deposit two years before or 6 month prior.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the explanation lies in the fact that the earlier you deposit your week the more possible matches are available for exchange. In other words, deposit early to ensure the greatest number of available exchanges. Wait and your chances of matching are greatly decreased.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While the trade power of your unit may not change once deposited, it may be harder or easier to exchange in to specific other resorts over time. One day you may be able to score a specific exchange, but a few months later that same trade may be unattainable. This isn't because your trade power went up or down but because the requirements to get that other week went up or down.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I haven't found that to be true. I have found that II reps tend to read from a script and don't know much that's not on the script or gets you to make an exchange while you're on the phone.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people have reported this in the past (see more with their 2017 week vs their 2016 week as example) but it's probably because the ratio between demand and supply for their week has increased during the last year and II gave them more trading power when they have deposited their 2017 week and not because their 2016 week has lost trading power.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you find out that your prior deposit was downgraded?

It's "possible" that the change was due to normal flux of weeks available and whatever, but I play around with the sightings board on a regular basis and my deposited week seemed to take a noticeable hit in trade power compared to the types of options I had before. In some cases, where I could have traded a 1BR for a 2BR before the downgrade, afterwards I needed to use a 2BR to see the same 2BR (and things like that). It definitely seemed to drop to match the trade power of the next year's undeposited week.

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the way it works for interval points is the way it works "in general" for weeks. Essentially, they give your deposit a number value, and that seems to be based entirely on TDI. That's its base value. Then it assess the "deposit" value according to their rules (from interval points rules):

(a) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited 120 days or more in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 100 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(b) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 119 to 60 days in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 75 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(c) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 59 to 30 days in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 50 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(d) For accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 29 to 14 days in advance of the first date of occupancy, the Club Interval Gold Member will receive 25 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(e) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest with occupancy commencement dates of 13 days or less prior to the date of deposit will not be accepted.

The unmatched units in the system get assigned a base value and deposit value in a similar way. If the numbers come up similar (to some degree), you offered a match.
So the question ends up being is it 60 days or 120 days. Rickandcindy might have a strong enough trader that even at 75% of its value, its still pulling things. Anything over 120 days is all considered the same.
It's all a bit of conjecture, but it makes sense they would handle points and weeks similarly in terms of a matching algorithm.

Last edited:

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-7-1_1-22-0.png

upload_2017-7-1_1-25-15.png

Possible "base" values. Don't know which chart they use. Maybe someone with interval points can chime in. At any rate you can see how size kinda trumps all in it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the way it works for interval points is the way it works "in general" for weeks. Essentially, they give your deposit a number value, and that seems to be based entirely on TDI. That's its base value. Then it assess the "deposit" value according to their rules (from interval points rules):.
For weeks the quality of the resort is a large factor too.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the way it works for interval points is the way it works "in general" for weeks. Essentially, they give your deposit a number value, and that seems to be based entirely on TDI. That's its base value. Then it assess the "deposit" value according to their rules (from interval points rules):

(a) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited 120 days or more in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 100 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(b) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 119 to 60 days in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 75 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(c) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 59 to 30 days in advance of the first date of occupancy will be allotted 50 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(d) For accommodations related to a Vacation Interest that is deposited from 29 to 14 days in advance of the first date of occupancy, the Club Interval Gold Member will receive 25 percent of the Club Interval Weekly Points Value.
(e) Accommodations related to a Vacation Interest with occupancy commencement dates of 13 days or less prior to the date of deposit will not be accepted.

The unmatched units in the system get assigned a base value and deposit value in a similar way. If the numbers come up similar (to some degree), you offered a match.
So the question ends up being is it 60 days or 120 days. Rickandcindy might have a strong enough trader that even at 75% of its value, its still pulling things. Anything over 120 days is all considered the same.
It's all a bit of conjecture, but it makes sense they would handle points and weeks similarly in terms of a matching algorithm.
Points systems like DRI, SVC, MVC_DP, HRC, VSE Sheraton Flex, ... that exchange with II are based on seasons (TDI range) and unit size but Club Interval Gold is also based on quality resort because their grid has a range of point for each season (TDI range) per unit size. May be the II week system follows the CIG system but it can also be totally different like RCI points vs RCI weeks where the RCI points is fix year after year for a specific week and RCI weeks trading power (TPU) changes based on supply and demand (Disney is a good example where now the number of TPU is super high this year but the RCI points is still the same as last year).
upload_2017-7-1_14-9-50.png

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have deposited weeks at slightly over sixty days out and have seen no difference between depositing a year out vs. 60 days. Never deposit within 60 days. It's a pickle of a problem, especially with eplus retrade. I am in competition with lots of others for those wonderful trades within 60 days. Things have changed with eplus retrade.
I've been wondering if its even worth it to do eplus anymore as I've been looking and not seeing as many opportunities at that 60 day window as in the past.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I've been wondering if its even worth it to do eplus anymore as I've been looking and not seeing as many opportunities at that 60 day window as in the past.

Yes, so true. I am starting to rethink the nearly automatic decision to purchase eplus retrade. If I get a great trade, there is no reason to even add it. I am going to take that vacation, come hell or high water. I got Hyatt Highlands in Carmel, and I didn't add it because I am not giving up that week, no matter that two of our kids' birthdays are that week. They will be 37 and 41, so I think they will live without us being around.

I have only a few retrade weeks left in my account. I have two left, in case I can get Marriott's Lahaina and Napili Villas as a retrade or retrades for the exact dates we will be there in October. October is fairly slow, and I kind of think there is a decent chance. Maybe I am just wishful thinking.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Yes, so true. I am starting to rethink the nearly automatic decision to purchase eplus retrade. If I get a great trade, there is no reason to even add it. I am going to take that vacation, come hell or high water. I got Hyatt Highlands in Carmel, and I didn't add it because I am not giving up that week, no matter that two of our kids' birthdays are that week. They will be 37 and 41, so I think they will live without us being around.

I have only a few retrade weeks left in my account. I have two left, in case I can get Marriott's Lahaina and Napili Villas as a retrade or retrades for the exact dates we will be there in October. October is fairly slow, and I kind of think there is a decent chance. Maybe I am just wishful thinking.
I hope you get that retrade... I just deposited my SDO and put in an OGS and I'm thinking I might add some more locations to increase my odds.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

I like your thinking. We just returned from the Highlands Inn. It was a fun vacation. We had a "horizon view" room. BTW, if you check your ii confirmation under my history, you'll see the unit in which you'll be located. It is kind of a unique thing with Hyatt.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I use eplus like an insurance. Without eplus if you got sick the day before and couldn't go you would lose the week.

I find the opportunities are there especially as the vacation approaches. There have been times I had a great winter week, for example Marriott in Fort Lauderdale and the day before Hyatt coconut plantation became available, so I eplus as I was driving.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too second using Eplus as a form of insurance. No forms to fill out, no medical reason needed. Especially with ski holidays. If snow wasn't that great this season, I'll give Eplus a try to book something else. Or in case this last winter, there was too much snow and the roads were a mess for the weekend that my daughter had planned to travel. Eventually found something she could use.

But back to the OP's question. I believe as well that the trading power seems to have diminished as time has gone by. And if there's an adjustment for points depending on how ahead they're deposited, am I doing myself a disservice by waiting to deposit at the 61 day mark, to get "full" trading power.