• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Wyndham VIP benefits transfer with a resale?

AG2020

Reaction score
Hello,
We were in a Wyndham timeshare presentation recently and the sales associate made it clear that if we buy a resale timeshare we would lose the VIP benefits. Is this true?
I guess one of the benefits is if we accumulate over 1M points, we can book at a 50% discount.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
VIP benefits do not transfer in resales. If you are already a VIP owner you will not lose your current VIP benefits but any resale purchases will not count towards increasing your current benefits to a higher level.

Last edited:

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We were in a Wyndham timeshare presentation recently and the sales associate made it clear that if we buy a resale timeshare we would lose the VIP benefits. Is this true?
I guess one of the benefits is if we accumulate over 1M points, we can book at a 50% discount.

Always funny with the sales associates come up with. I wonder if they get a manual of lies to tell or ways to trick.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see you are new to TUG as of today. Two of the things you will learn here are: First, TUG will help you save you tens of thousands of dollars. Secondly, sales weasels will knowingly lie to you and say anything to get into your pockets.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question is. Is the 50% discount on reservations made 60 days before check in worth what a platinum ownership costs?

Do the math and I think you will figure out the answer is no

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question is. Is the 50% discount on reservations made 60 days before check in worth what a platinum ownership costs?

Any idea what the going rate is right now. Tried to search around the forum and last I could see it said developer points were about $200 per 1k in points. Most people don't seem to be putting what they paid for their contract before they cancel.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last month I was offered 400,000 CWA points for $70,000.00 with the standard 400k bonus points and gold for two years. You might do a little better but they knew I wasn't buying

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last month I was offered 400,000 CWA points for $70,000.00 with the standard 400k bonus points and gold for two years. You might do a little better but they knew I wasn't buying

Thanks so that is $175 per thousand points.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
They offered be 218k points for around $35k. I forget the exact #. I kept telling them I didn't want a loan payment. That's when he went into the "Let me tell you how you can make loan payments with your points". Anyone here will tell you exchange rate is horrible so don't fall for that trap.

Oh and my sales guy told me that before became a Wyndham's sales guy, he was a nuclear engineer on a Naval submarine. I might be off on the title but the words nuclear and naval submarine were used. I thought about asking him how he went from one job to another but thought better of it. Whatever he told me would be a lie so why bother wasting my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaminak

Reaction score
Any idea what the going rate is right now. Tried to search around the forum and last I could see it said developer points were about $200 per 1k in points.

This seems accurate based on what I purchased before finding out how to buy resale and what I was offered at the last presentation I went to. Maybe a little less by the time you talk them down a little.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>
Oh and my sales guy told me that before became a Wyndham's sales guy, he was a nuclear engineer on a Naval submarine. I might be off on the title but the words nuclear and naval submarine were used. I thought about asking him how he went from one job to another but thought better of it. Whatever he told me would be a lie so why bother wasting my time.

In his dreams ...

Perhaps, a better follow up question would be asking how was his 4 years at West Point were.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
So let's assume you get a "great deal" and get $150 per thousand. To get to platinum you would need a million points so that would put you at $150,000 just in the purchase. Now let's say you have a really great MF also, let's just say $4.50 per 1k. So that would be $4,500 for the million points. Assuming you go on vacations next 30 years that would mean you are paying $135,000 just in MF fees. That is without inflation or any other fees that come up. So for 30 years looking at $285,000. That's $9,500 a year. Let's be honest, MFs are going to continue to climb so it will be much much more. How many vacations are you going to get with your points a year? Million points is a lot. Yes you can get 50% off within the 60 days and a free upgrade if it is available. You are also now stuck into paying those MFs each year. If a life change comes up you still have to pay, try to sell, or just give the points back to Wyndham. Then you are out that $150k you paid up front.

Now if you go resell you can get that $150k down to free or maybe $5k. So you save all that money up front. To me that is the way to go. Heck I can rent for less then what my MF is going to be on the resell contact I am still waiting to close on. As long as they don't remove the 50% off and free upgrade renting is much cheaper for me. If they do go anyway with either of those, then that VIP would not be worth any more to me then my resell points.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts

As a general rule for most people, I would agree.

But there are a lot variables in that "math". Last year my VIP membership resulted in 98 nightly rooms at a cost basis of around $55 a night.

luvNMB52

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at OB last week and went to an update. They were trying to sell us CWA. The first sheet they brought out indicated $251/k, but after we said "no" several times, they brought out an offer they thought we couldn't refuse that was basically $175/k. We refused.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at OB last week and went to an update. They were trying to sell us CWA. The first sheet they brought out indicated $251/k, but after we said "no" several times, they brought out an offer they thought we couldn't refuse that was basically $175/k. We refused.

Well that was their bottom price. Good to know. Amazing how they could drop the price so much. Lol

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I think I read somewhere that the first price they give you is always the "Puke" price. Meaning, you see it and it makes you sick. Then they can barter down to make you feel like you got a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a general rule for most people, I would agree.

But there are a lot variables in that "math". Last year my VIP membership resulted in 98 nightly rooms at a cost basis of around $55 a night.

i have an idea of how you got to VIP and I suspect you didn't pay $150000.

Platinum VIP is a wonderful thing if you get it cheap like I did and like I suspect you did. But that's not so easy anymore

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

So a million points would be $175000. If we assume 10 vacations a year that's $1750 per vacation for the first 10 years plus maintenance fees

Of course if you can build a platinum account for $12000 like I did, the math works out a little better

If Wyndham can get control of the secondary market and force everyone to buy from them, they would put an end to commercial renting. The cost to establish a business would be too high

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
i have an idea of how you got to VIP and I suspect you didn't pay $150000.

Platinum VIP is a wonderful thing if you get it cheap like I did and like I suspect you did. But that's not so easy anymore

I owe it all to you. I had a rough idea on how it might work, but your advice was priceless when it came to working it out.

Drinks on me if we every meet up. :D

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
So a million points would be $175000. If we assume 10 vacations a year that's $1750 per vacation for the first 10 years plus maintenance fees

Of course if you can build a platinum account for $12000 like I did, the math works out a little better

If Wyndham can get control of the secondary market and force everyone to buy from them, they would put an end to commercial renting. The cost to establish a business would be too high
How can you get platinum status buying resale. I thought the extra benefits only apply if you buy direct? I own 200,000 I bought from Wyndham and my maintenance fee is 112.00 a month. I was looking to purchase more points but not through Wyndham. If I buy resale am I also taking on the maintenance fee of the previous owner or is it changed since I now own 400,000. Is there a way to get vip benefits buying resale?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This loophole reportedly has been closed. A few years back, you could purchase resale deeds at certain resorts. And then after you were the owner of those deeds, you would make a small retail purchase ($20k), and they would “convert” those deeded weeks into points that would count toward VIP.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
This loophole reportedly has been closed. A few years back, you could purchase resale deeds at certain resorts. And then after you were the owner of those deeds, you would make a small retail purchase ($20k), and they would “convert” those deeded weeks into points that would count toward VIP.

AFAIK, this is no longer possible. SN is one such resort, and I know several folks who've done this in the past. Wish it was still possible.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Well that was their bottom price. Good to know. Amazing how they could drop the price so much. Lol

Telesales has the best pricing IME. On rare occasions the local resorts will match telesales pricing. It's also worth noting that Orlando telesales generally seems to offer higher discounts than Las Vegas telesales in comparison - so even the telesales location matters. The MSRP for points, AFAIK, is currently $253/1000 points. It's the same for CWS or CWA. CWA typically offers better price discounts though. I purchased two 105k/295k CWA contracts in July 2018 along with two PIC contracts for $145/1000 minus rebates. With rebates included I paid $134/1000 points. The more points you purchase, the more discounts you can get. I could have purchased a single 210k/210k for $128/1000 points. I'd imagine for a much larger purchase, like $1MM points, the discounts would be much more aggressive. I never really pushed for a hardline price for such a large number of points, because I went the PIC route instead as it's much less expensive across the board. Hope this helps.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Hello,

If you are currently a VIP, resale points you acquire will enjoy the VIP benefits you already have, but as was said above, they will not count toward getting to a VIP level.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you get platinum status buying resale. I thought the extra benefits only apply if you buy direct? I own 200,000 I bought from Wyndham and my maintenance fee is 112.00 a month. I was looking to purchase more points but not through Wyndham. If I buy resale am I also taking on the maintenance fee of the previous owner or is it changed since I now own 400,000. Is there a way to get vip benefits buying resale?

If you own 200000 points you are paying mf on 200000 points. If you buy 200000 more points you have to mf on that too

Regarding the vip loophole

Another tugger told me he had done this through a certain salesperson at Bali Hai I bought several weeks at the the pahio resorts through eBay then bought a 126k eoy from that salesman and they converted three of the weeks to vip eligible points the cost was $12000, I paid 6000 cash and financed the rest. Then I did it again for a second vip account.

Then with another tugger we figured out how to make a vip account with all resale points. I made three like this so I ended up with 5 platinum vip accounts

Then in August 2016 wyndham suspended all my accounts and the accounts of a number of other owners because we had more reservations than the contracts we owned supported and they didn’t know how that could be possible. A close look at our account histories taught them a lesson. In my case, aggressive use of the credit pool, and vip discounts (cancel, rebook and upgrade) and selling contracts stripped of points gave me accounts with 90 million points in reservations (nearly all at a 50% discount). At the time I owned only 10 million points

So the end result is I’m out, there is no more credit pool, no more cheap vip accounts, and you can’t sell a contract stripped of points

Sorry

Last edited: