• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do any Marriott "MegaRenters" exist?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that for Wyndham there are "points managers" and some that would be considered "MegaRenters" owning or managing tens (or hundreds) of millions of points, but is there such a thing in the Marriott system?

Is there anyone that owns to rent, say 100 weeks? 200 weeks?

I know that if there is, this info wouldn't be public or likely be shared in public. So feel free to send me a PM if you know of someone that may fit this bill. I have a few questions and perhaps a proposal if things make sense for both sides.

Thanks in advance everyone!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We have a couple guys on VPE that appear to have very large point positions based on their fractional owership of Grande Residences Lake Tahoe.

Is that what you mean?

Best,

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is that there is no real cheap way to get in to Marriott DC points in order to be profitable. Unless you owned a lot of legacy points, you simply can't compete in the rental market. This is why the mega point owners from fractionals can do well. I suspect they have a decent MF per point ratio. The MFs on DC points are simply too high to compete against those that are able to rent cheaper legacy points.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 5 Marriott deeded weeks that I rent out.

There are others here that do so with 10-20 weeks.

I am looking for someone that does what I and others do but with a much larger number of deeded weeks.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own hoping soon 26 Marriott weeks. If my latest Maui unit passes ROFR it will be 9 Maui 2BDRM OV/OFs, 11 HHI, 3 MOWs, 2 NCVs and 1 Boston Custom house.

I recently had a interesting conversation with a Marriott CSR and asked her how many owners did she see that had the same or more than I had. She said not many at all but did say she knew a guy who owned over 120 units and he would create year long strings of reservations and actually has them into 2019. I asked what he owned and said it was alot of Maui and NCVs.

Obviously Marriott knows this person and what they do with their weeks so they must not care. Here I am worried they'd give me a hard time as I got a little bigger and someone has 120+ weeks. i also know someone who owns 2 million DC points.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I've read reports from several people who own 20-30 weeks at places like Aruba. I even made a thread about why people own 20 weeks or more at Aruba, apparently it's not that uncommon to meet people that own that many weeks.

Regarding 1 million points, there was a guy that owned 1.2 million points with Wyndham that I was going to bid on eBay. He wanted too much money and couldn't guarantee that you would get the platinum status if you spent the asking price he wanted.

I did the math recently and I think it is like 72,000 a year (MF) if you wanted to live in various vacations clubs year round (4 months Orlando, 4 months Tahoe, 4 months Caribbean/Boston), every year. That's about 6000 a year in "rent ", which would be the equivalent of renting a $1 million house in Miami, given our rental market here, maybe a little higher priced place.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I knew there had to be 1 or 2 big weeks owners that exist. Just hard to find and get ahold of those types of people.

I thought I'd try however.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dream is not a full year of Maui but just a solid month. In our plan we will rent some of out units to pay for 100% or close to our entire stay. This is our dream scenario. Use 4 of our OV units in the 1BDRM section and rent the remaining 4 OF units, our 5th OV and 2 of the OV studios with the hope that the kids join us for 2 of the 4 studios. That should get us close to the MFs we pay for 9 weeks.

Question for the OP, what exactly are you looking to understand?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand? Nothing.

I am looking to network with large players in the timeshare rental game/business.

Maybe I wasn't so clear in my original post. My apologies.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We have a couple guys on VPE that appear to have very large point positions based on their fractional owership of Grande Residences Lake Tahoe.

Is that what you mean?

Best,

Greg
There is tim that is a broker for owners at grand residences. He also rents weeks for owners at grand residences. Also rents dc points for weeks owners that have converted their grand residence to points.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
i also know someone who owns 2 million DC points.
Is it an owner that owns just pure points or is it enrolled weeks that could convert to dc points?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand? Nothing.

I am looking to network with large players in the timeshare rental game/business.

Maybe I wasn't so clear in my original post. My apologies.
Ok got it. Can i ask about your portfolio? Are you a Mega-renter or looking to become one? Or you a person who just knows how do get things done? Just curious. You don't have to divulge your objective if you don't want to.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it an owner that owns just pure points or is it enrolled weeks that could convert to dc points?

Not sure on that. Either way that is a huge investment in the Marriott system, much more than me and I've invested over $600k when you add up all the purchase and maintenance fees paid over 15 years of doing this.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok got it. Can i ask about your portfolio? Are you a Mega-renter or looking to become one? Or you a person who just knows how do get things done? Just curious. You don't have to divulge your objective if you don't want to.

Mega-renter? No no no. I do intend to add units/weeks to my portfolio sure, but don't see myself gathering 100-200+ weeks. Not the goal or plan at this time anyway. Who knows what the future may bring?

I do get things done and am hoping to network with a few big time renters (1-2 form each brand) in order to form some mutually beneficial relationships that would help both them and myself out.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
You are talking a huge amount of money spent on Marriott vacation points. Take the cash and purchase Real estate, income property that will actually be worth more than you paid for it. The properties also become cash cows.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure on that. Either way that is a huge investment in the Marriott system, much more than me and I've invested over $600k when you add up all the purchase and maintenance fees paid over 15 years of doing this.
Yes 2mil dc points, if not weeks conversion, is at least 16 mil to purchase. Even if it was a conversion from pre 2010 weeks you are looking at least 6 mil. This assuming he bought 250 moc weeks worth about 8000 dc points a week. Can't see how it would work for renting with maintenance fees. I figure if you had that kind of money you wouldnt be doing this for personal use as you could buy 2 very nice homes on each coast for that kind of money.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)

Wow! that is amazing!!!! :):):):):thumbup:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes 2mil dc points, if not weeks conversion, is at least 16 mil to purchase. Even if it was a conversion from pre 2010 weeks you are looking at least 6 mil. This assuming he bought 250 moc weeks worth about 8000 dc points a week. Can't see how it would work for renting with maintenance fees. I figure if you had that kind of money you wouldnt be doing this for personal use as you could buy 2 very nice homes on each coast for that kind of money.

This is my thinking also. I know it can be done though because I'm doing it successfully on a much smaller scale so I'm sure it can work on a larger scale but it would be a full time job and you run the chance of running afoul with Marriott. I'm doing it because I don't have the big dollars to buy an OF house on Maui or HHI so this is my way of owning our own slice of paradise but if I had the money that 120 weeks or 2M DC points would require I would buy a vacation home in both locations and use and rent those and I would think you could do even better than $2k profit per week that I make with my Maui OF units.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree moxjo7282. I do it even on a smaller scale than you successfully.

Regardless, that (or vacation rentals) is NOT the point or objective of this post.

It's:
Do these people exist and how could a regular guy like me find/contact them.

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been told by MVCI that a couple of companies own 80 + weeks at the Aruba Ocean Club.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I have been told by MVCI that a couple of companies own 80 + weeks at the Aruba Ocean Club.
Yeah, I guess they have a rental business targeting New Yorkers/Boston'ers?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
80+ weeks.....getting warmer.

Beachspace, why would owning at Aruba be targeting NY/Bostoners?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is my thinking also. I know it can be done though because I'm doing it successfully on a much smaller scale so I'm sure it can work on a larger scale but it would be a full time job and you run the chance of running afoul with Marriott. I'm doing it because I don't have the big dollars to buy an OF house on Maui or HHI so this is my way of owning our own slice of paradise but if I had the money that 120 weeks or 2M DC points would require I would buy a vacation home in both locations and use and rent those and I would think you could do even better than $2k profit per week that I make with my Maui OF units.
Didn't mean that it wouldn't work to cover mainetance fees. Meant trying to rent that many weeks would take to much time. If you had that kind of money you would not be using this as rentals. Time is money. And you can make better money by owning your own home on each coast for the same outlay in cash.

What makes wyndham attractive is the low upfront cost and the platinum discount and upgrade feature within 60 days.

Sorry if this is off topic but i was just rationalizing why there will not be mega renters like wyndham. Reasons being high upfront costs, high maintenance fees and a lot of time and effort unless you are a broker. I only know of one broker that does this and it is mostly for grand residence owners that have converted weeks to dc points. As our maintenance fees for dc points is less than the 50 cents a point that trust owners pay.

Last edited:

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your perspective and appreciate your input.

As humans, sometimes people do things that make sense to them and not to others. Though it may be unlikely or not probable to find a Marriott Mega-Renter, there may very well be one or two.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand your perspective and appreciate your input.

As humans, sometimes people do things that make sense to them and not to others. Though it may be unlikely or not probable to find a Marriott Mega-Renter, there may very well be one or two.
Well there is one mega broker for sure.

Would love to know of a mega renter doing it on their own as i want to understand their rationale. I know of a couple individuals that own 52 or more weeks but they mainly use their weeks. Then they rent out weeks that they can't use. But no one i know or read about does it full time. They mostly have agents rent their weeks. They might try to rent a few of their weeks directly but a majority of their rental weeks is through various agents.