• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Vacation Club vs. Starwood Vacation Ownership

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:
Do you mean that you received RT airport transfers via bus for free, plus they delivered your luggage to your hotel room?

Oops ... actually, I meant extra magic hours ... we haven't stayed their since they started the free airport transportation. I got the two confused. :eek:

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amy said:
No, Hilton Downtown has an agreement with Disney. I believe it is the only non-Disney resort in WDW that offers the Magical Express plan. I forgot about that when I posted earlier.

So sorry, my brain is FRIED. I, too, was thinking of Hilton's deal re the extra hours at the parks, NOT Magical Express. :doh:My only excuse is that I got 4 hours sleep last night and I'm a bit zoned out. Only Disney property offers ME.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no excuse for doing the same thing, but can come up with a good one if you give me a few hours! :) Now, get to sleep!

iluvwdw

Reaction score
Pedro said:
We like the Swan and Dolphin very much. It is a nice weekend escape for us, as it is exactly one hour drive from home. My kids (and us too) love the hotel , the restaurants, and the pool, plus it is within walking distance of Disney's Boardwalk, EPCOT and Disney MGM. We'll be there for Memorial Day weekend for 3-nights also using starpoints. We were able to get the targeted special that Starwood had last month, where you could get one (only one) reservation at 50% off the regular starpoint rate - 15,000 starpoints for a 3-night stay!:)

Where do you get that deal??? Can anyone get it? 15,000 points is great for 3 nights!!! Usually it's 10K a night.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
Where do you get that deal??? Can anyone get it? 15,000 points is great for 3 nights!!! Usually it's 10K a night.
It was a great deal indeed! I read about it in Flyertalk (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522698 ), and a day or two later I got a postcard in the mail with the 50%-off offer. It was a special promotion where you could only apply it once and only once, and had to make the reservation by mid-March. Even though the promotion code was posted in flyertalk, you couldn't use it if you hadn't been specifically targeted for it.

Didney Daddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been a great post for me. We own BCV and SSR and love all things Disney. As has been said, the flexibility of the program is a major benefit plus no one is ever pressured into buying DVC. Disney just does it right.

Having said that, we are interested in Starwood - maybe Hyatt? We know the point system of DVC cold. Can anyone summarize the benefits of Starwood and how it works?

wingkng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just recently came back from my honeymoon, and stayed at the Vistana Villages and at Boardwalk Villas in Orlando. My impression is that the Starwood properties are bigger but nicely decorated. It was nice to come home from a long day in the park and relax. We stayed in the new section in VV, the Keys area, and we found it to be pretty quiet and relaxing.

The Boardwalk Villas is great in its theming. I thought the rooms are a little smaller than at Vistana Villages, but the Disney touch is incomparable. Plus, the advantage of not having to drive a car to the parks is great. One day we went to Epcot, and was able to go back to the room for an afternoon nap. Then we were able to go back to the park, and that day Epcot had Extra Magic Hours and we stayed at the park until 11 PM. These are the extras that make DVC unique.

My plan is to continue using both in alternate years, since I own at both. SVO will always allow me to stay at a level of luxury and comfort that we have come to expect. The flexibility of the DVC plan allows so many more possibilities. My plan for next year is to use my DVC points to go on an Alaska cruise!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC is a great option to use the right way. The right way is for one who values being on property, can avoid weekends and will only use the points at DVC.

mabelline7

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC or Starwood

I own both, and perfer DVC over Starwood anytime!! I love the points option, no fixed week BS, the maintenance fees are reasonable, the perks are great!! Points are a beautiful thing. Too bad Starwood does not work with points, I think it's because there are not enough units. My measly 150 points in DVC, is the greatest! In one year I can go there twice, once in a studio (during Easter) and once in a 2 bedroom during off season.. they deduct the maintenance fees out of your checking monthly if you want, and all the perks are great!!!:whoopie:

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
You go for 2 full weeks using 150 points? Once in a studio (during easter) and once in a 2 bedroom? That doesn't sound right.

I also would not consider anyone taking payments directly out of my checking account as a benefit in any way, shape or form!

I plan on going to DVC in May 2008 throught an exchange, I am looking forward to see if it lives up to the hype (as compared to a non-disney timeshare).

Joe

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
You go for 2 full weeks using 150 points? Once in a studio (during easter) and once in a 2 bedroom? That doesn't sound right.
I agree... Are you doing some banking and borrowing? Studio at OKW is 147 points for one week. Are you not going on the weekends?

rkdahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A DVC Studio varies by time of year. Here's the Adventure Season for an Old Key West studio:
Jan 1- 31
Sept 1-30
Dec 1-14

Sun-Thu 8 points
Fri-Sat 20 points
Weekly 80 points

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
A DVC Studio varies by time of year. Here's the Adventure Season for an Old Key West studio:
Jan 1- 31
Sept 1-30
Dec 1-14

Sun-Thu 8 points
Fri-Sat 20 points
Weekly 80 points

She said she goes during Easter week, so it is the higher point values.

Joe

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You go for 2 full weeks using 150 points?

Re-read the post -- she never said she went for two full weeks. Just that she went twice. My guess is that it is mid-week stays. Nice if you have the flexibility to do so. Me -- I work for a living. :)

(And I agree with you about the checking thing!)

Kurt