• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney exchange

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been looking but couldn't find the right thread(s) - partly because I am not sure whether to look (or post) in the Exchange, DVC, or Florida forum...

Anyway, I know it used to be fairly easy to exchange into DVC through RCI but I think it has gotten much harder/costs a lot more. If someone could let me know what the current status is (i.e. how difficult it would be to get a match and about how many TPU are necessary) I would really appreciate it. If someone could give some comparison info about other Orlando resorts (Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Sheraton Vistana, Marriotts) that would be great as well!

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I had an OGS search in for months, and have matched for Presidents Week for the past few years, all with TPUs in the 30s. This year I did not match, and I found out they are now charging 53 TPUs. My deposit was for 50 TPU. I did a combine and got a match. I think that if you have a deposit that will pull it, it should be an easy match if you will take a 1 BR in SSR and are not looking for a holiday week like Easter.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jackio! 50 is awfully high - I wonder if late August/early September is as high. I only have one timeshare and am wondering whether it would be worth to deposit it but I don't really want to give up two years for one week...

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A quick search for DVC in the sightings board should give you a good idea of what type of TPUs are needed. Just omit the last minute sightings which run fairly low.

2BRs I don't believe have been seen in a long time.
The majority of units are 1BRs at Saratoga

High Demand season - Orlando Marriotts are still easy with an OGS in advance.
Low Demand season - a lot of them are open and sitting around just waiting to be snagged. I would also compare the cost of the getaways instead of exchange during this season.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
It is high, especially when you consider that this is just for a 1BR and you'd need to add Disney's $190 resort fee onto your exchange fee and all those TPUs. Only you can determine if this is worth it to you or not. There have been sightings of DVC SSR 1BR weeks for fewer than 50 TPUs but more commonly, it's higher.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Especially for reminding me about the Sightings board (I wasn't logged in and couldn't see it). I knew I had seen info about this before but couldn't find it!

1BR would be okay. I've never been to Saratoga Springs - I gather it is not very popular? Still, I would take it, but probably not if I need two years of my timeshare for it.

Does anyone have information about how SFX is for Florida? I deposited this year's week with them...

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Especially for reminding me about the Sightings board (I wasn't logged in and couldn't see it). I knew I had seen info about this before but couldn't find it!

1BR would be okay. I've never been to Saratoga Springs - I gather it is not very popular? Still, I would take it, but probably not if I need two years of my timeshare for it.

Does anyone have information about how SFX is for Florida? I deposited this year's week with them...

Usually not "too bad" for SFX for Florida, but it depends on where and when you want something.

Believe it or not, I have people that will ask me (in November) to try to get something HGVC for Christmas, of that same year. Yeah, not gonna happen, LOL.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
[QUOTE="hurnik, post: 2051249, member: 12037"

Believe it or not, I have people that will ask me (in November) to try to get something HGVC for Christmas, of that same year. Yeah, not gonna happen, LOL.[/QUOTE]

So true! I am searching for a cousin for President's week. Feb 16th hit, but her airfare is for the 17th. So I said to take it, arrive a day late, and rent a value hotel for the final night. She said no, she will hold out for the 17th. I think that ship has sailed....

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we are looking for end of August or very early September (due to school vacations) which should be one of the easiest times in Florida (hurricane season, hot/humid, many US schools already back from the summer).

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score

SSR is a massive resort so that's main reason they have availabilty. I like the fact it is so close to Disney Springs and prefer it to Old Key West. If you want to be on a dining plan or don't want to drive, then a Disney resort is great. We have stayed at AKL on trade and love it there. If you don't mind driving and the parking fees or want to use fewer points, there are some amazing resorts such as Marriotts (there are a couple in RCI) and HGVCs. One of our all-time favorite Orlando stays was Houses of Summer Bay via RCI with our own private pool. My 10 yo has made me promise to take her back there with a friend for a future visit. :)

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed in Disney resorts previously (though not DVC but just hotels) and we have also stayed at Vistana Villages and Wyndham Bonnet Creek. But I am not crazy about driving which is why I would prefer to stay at Disney itself.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we are looking for end of August or very early September (due to school vacations) which should be one of the easiest times in Florida (hurricane season, hot/humid, many US schools already back from the summer).

I'd think you have a pretty decent chance then, with SFX since you're probably looking at 2018 (I'm assuming since August/Sept already happened--LOL).

Although not sure about them ever getting a DVC resort. I don't mind driving to/from the resort, but it does add to the cost of the car rental and then parking, so sometimes it's wash if you can get a DVC exchange (via RCI or something) where they can bus you to the park.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to drive then dvc would make sense. Can you maybe rent it off redweek or from a points rental place for cheaper though? You can always make offers and see what people will take. I wouldn't want to give up 2 years of my timeshare for one week of dvc.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Disney resorts are VERY expensive, and if it's the Disney experience you want, you will have to pay the TPU's and the exchange fee, and the $190. If you rented from a DVC owner, a 1 bedroom will be easily over $2,000 for a week in a one bedroom. My TPU's are about $15 each, so $800 or so is very reasonable. I would take OKW over SSR, however. If I am going to pay a premium for Disney, I want OKW. I have a fondness of the place.

So combine your points and cross your fingers for that match. I have entered ongoing searches many times and haven't matched. Our next Disney World trip is going to be Hilton Seaworld. It's much cheaper. The $190 is more than PARKING for 7 nights. It's a ridiculous fee. But it's still worth every TPU and the fee to stay on property, when you really want that experience. I know all about it. Sometimes only Disney will do it for me. It's become more rare, with the added $190 now!

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies - I do agree with them.

I would like DVC but for us it wouldn't be worth renting it as I am okay staying at one of the value resorts if I really need the Disney experience/perks. I don't quite see myself combining two years to get just one week - I understand it may make sense as DVC is expensive/easy to rent out but by the time I add all fees it just gets too expensive for my taste (and again I don't mind a value resort but would of course prefer DVC).

As far as other Orlando resorts are concerned, I am again not sure it will be worth it as you can generally rent rooms very cheaply at that time of year so it might be less money to just book a room. I am not looking to make a huge "profit" with my timeshare but do want to feel I got some extra value out of it.

Looking at the Sightings board I did see that there were quite a number of last minute DVC weeks available that seem to cost a lot less TPU. So I might make a refundable back-up reservation somewhere and hope for the best...

The main problem is that I still have no RCI account and once again am trying to decide whether the expense would be worth it or if I should just stick with SFC.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
BTW, SFX has not been good for our Orlando trips. They only seem to have one bedrooms. They take a lot of Orlando resorts I wouldn't want. That is just one ridiculous issue with SFX. There are so many other issues. I cannot get anything from them.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, SFX has not been good for our Orlando trips. They only seem to have one bedrooms. They take a lot of Orlando resorts I wouldn't want. That is just one ridiculous issue with SFX. There are so many other issues. I cannot get anything from them.

Too bad SFX isn't working out for you. It has been pretty good for me so far but I do wish you could search online etc. I would actually prefer a one bedroom as I don't want to pay the extra fee for two bedrooms with SFX if not absolutely necessary. I did see a lot of Orlando resorts on their list I wouldn't care for but I think you can tell them which ones you are willing to accept when you place your request (at least that is what I have done in the past).