• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delta...no more.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
What is going on with Delta lately?

My daughter got married in Aruba 2 weeks ago and many family members and friends flew from JFK on various Delta flights, including myself. Many of them reported delays, ranging from one and half hours to 3 hours due to mechanical problems.

Worst of all was my own return flight one week ago on Saturday. I was scheduled on a 2:25pm departure arriving at JFK at 7:15pm. Everything seemed fine, we were lining up to board when an announcement was made that there seemed to be an issue with the door slide. Mechanics were trying to fix the problem and we would depart soon after. Within an hour of the initial announcement, a second one was made declaring the door could not be fixed and a new aircraft would be sent from Atlanta to pick us up. The aircraft wouldn't arrive until 9:30 pm. A 7 hour delay!!!! We settled down to wait and the Delta alerts began to arrive on my phone, each one announcing a new delay. We were told we weren't allowed to leave the airport due to customs regulations and provided passengers $15 dinner vouchers which were very limiting since most restaurants were closed/closing. A few hours later they brought out sandwiches, pizza, snacks and drinks for everyone. We finally left Aruba at 11:45pm, a 9 hour delay, and touched down in NY at approximately 4:00 am.

As we exited the plane we found ourselves locked out of the terminal. All 300 plus passengers standing around, locked in the hallway. People were getting crazy. Finally the pilot comes out and announces that Aruba failed to send clearance and until they do, we can't enter the terminal. Thankfully, we weren't trapped very long, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Finally, we reach the luggage claim area where, you probably guessed, no luggage for well over one hour. While all this is going on, I get an email from Delta expressing how sorry they are for the delay, how much they value me and to keep me happy they are depositing 7,500 points into my account. Keeping in mind that a R/T flight from JFK to Charlotte (a frequent destination for me as my mom resides there) is 26,000 points, a mere 7,500 points is really nothing at all.

After 4 days of trying to reach Delta customer care (a story in itself), they offer a $200 future travel voucher, upped to $300 after I politely decline or 20,000 points.

Back and forth, back and forth and not so polite by this point, they agree to refund me the cost of the flight ($398), take it or leave it. Thoughts???

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
What is going on with Delta lately?

My daughter got married in Aruba 2 weeks ago and many family members and friends flew from JFK on various Delta flights, including myself. Many of them reported delays, ranging from one and half hours to 3 hours due to mechanical problems.

Worst of all was my own return flight one week ago on Saturday. I was scheduled on a 2:25pm departure arriving at JFK at 7:15pm. Everything seemed fine, we were lining up to board when an announcement was made that there seemed to be an issue with the door slide. Mechanics were trying to fix the problem and we would depart soon after. Within an hour of the initial announcement, a second one was made declaring the door could not be fixed and a new aircraft would be sent from Atlanta to pick us up. The aircraft wouldn't arrive until 9:30 pm. A 7 hour delay!!!! We settled down to wait and the Delta alerts began to arrive on my phone, each one announcing a new delay. We were told we weren't allowed to leave the airport due to customs regulations and provided passengers $15 dinner vouchers which were very limiting since most restaurants were closed/closing. A few hours later they brought out sandwiches, pizza, snacks and drinks for everyone. We finally left Aruba at 11:45pm, a 9 hour delay, and touched down in NY at approximately 4:00 am.

As we exited the plane we found ourselves locked out of the terminal. All 300 plus passengers standing around, locked in the hallway. People were getting crazy. Finally the pilot comes out and announces that Aruba failed to send clearance and until they do, we can't enter the terminal. Thankfully, we weren't trapped very long, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Finally, we reach the luggage claim area where, you probably guessed, no luggage for well over one hour. While all this is going on, I get an email from Delta expressing how sorry they are for the delay, how much they value me and to keep me happy they are depositing 7,500 points into my account. Keeping in mind that a R/T flight from JFK to Charlotte (a frequent destination for me as my mom resides there) is 26,000 points, a mere 7,500 points is really nothing at all.

After 4 days of trying to reach Delta customer care (a story in itself), they offer a $200 future travel voucher, upped to $300 after I politely decline or 20,000 points.

Back and forth, back and forth and not so polite by this point, they agree to refund me the cost of the flight ($398), take it or leave it. Thoughts???
Take the cost of the flight.

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Attacking "windmills on horseback" will get you nowhere. Agree with RichardM .. take the cost of the flight ASAP.

And be happy it is NOT a 'Future United Flight Voucher'.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Your lucky it was international. If a domestic flight they would not give you crap, as the carriage rules are different. Fly enough and every airline will hose you over eventually. Today leaving Vegas. All online systems and kiosks for SW down for boarding passes. You could not get in online, just message system down. Lines running about 1 hour just to get boarding passes. Left 2 hours early to airport. Got on plane 10 minutes before door shut.

My best one was I paid for tickets to a main event match in Vegas a couple years back. Fight I was going to watch was following day. Left from Tampa at 6:00pm to go to Vegas, was suppose to get there at 9:30pm. Had paid Expedia for that nights stay at Mandalay Bay. Did not actually get to Vegas till 2:00pm next day, completely missed the event I was going for. Was US Airways flight. Original problem. They had pilots for plane, at layover in Houston, but no flight crew, they sent us to hotel at 2:30am told us be back at 5:30am for 6:30am flight, but then they had flight crew and no pilots, so had to wait several more hours for pilots to show up. After much complaining, got a 10% off future flight voucher, Never have flown them again. Money for one night stay I missed down the drain.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd take it and be happy. I had an early morning flight cancelled to St John due to a faulty de-icer. We lost a full day at the Westin and spent the next 17 hours trying to get there during Spring Break and felt like the Amazing Race. United gave us each $25 vouchers (never used) for our inconvenience. I didn't fight it because they probably took a loss with the private plane that flew us from Puerto Rico to St John after sleeping in the airport. Sometimes you just get a trip where nothing goes right.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I accepted the credit. Just needed to vent. I average 10-12 flights/year and this has been my worst so far. Lots of people out there with stories to tell. Out of all the airlines I have experienced to date, Jetblue is the best, hands down.

Last year, returning from St. Maarten, we were delayed due to bad weather in NY. JB transported us by bus to a beautiful resort... it was an all inclusive; dinner, drinks and entertainment, breakfast the next morning. And, without asking, they refunded everyone the cost of the flight.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just be thankful that Delta didn't say the issue was weather-related and there'd be no compensation. "There's a storm in Atlanta and the plane can't leave... not our fault."

That was the excuse given in Newark, after we'd flown in from Rome. So, we got the privilege of spending the night in an expensive Newark-hotel (DW's choice) on my dime. -- at least it gave me an excuse for not showing up at work the next day.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
...<snip>
That was the excuse given in Newark, after we'd flown in from Rome. So, we got the privilege of spending the night in an expensive Newark-hotel (DW's choice) on my dime. -- at least it gave me an excuse for not showing up at work the next day.

Newark is considered to be part of "New York City" for hotel, lodging & airport rates.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I accepted the credit. Just needed to vent. I average 10-12 flights/year and this has been my worst so far. Lots of people out there with stories to tell. Out of all the airlines I have experienced to date, Jetblue is the best, hands down.

Last year, returning from St. Maarten, we were delayed due to bad weather in NY. JB transported us by bus to a beautiful resort... it was an all inclusive; dinner, drinks and entertainment, breakfast the next morning. And, without asking, they refunded everyone the cost of the flight.
JetBlue is no picnic, either. Be aware that they do not interline with other carriers as the legacy carriers do. I was visiting my dying brother in Raleigh, and JetBlue canceled the flight back to JFK. No weather issues. I had a choice of waiting until the next day at my cost or getting a refund of my fare. There were other flights to JFK but they would not put me on any of them. I had to make my own arrangements to fly to LGA at 4 times the cost, then had to pay another $100 for a cab to JFK to get my car.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk