• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Delta Embargo 1 Checked Bag Only--how to get extra bag to Royal Islander

dmahanay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just discovered our Delta reservations reflected an embargo all year on extra checked bag. Can check only one. We have always checked two, one with medical and other supplies for elderly couple. Any suggestions as to how I can get that extra bag to Cancun Royal Islander?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
At the risk of sounding too obvious, can't you just get a bigger suitcase? Or could you take some of the medical supplies in a carryon? Or take fewer clothes and do laundry once you're there to free up space in the suitcase?

rpennisi

Reaction score
Carrying medical supplies in a carryon may be a problem with the 1 quart container rule, if the meds are liquids.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't believe meds count toward the restriction. I think baby food/formula as well as medicine with a script are exempt from the rule.

I found this:
Medications Allowed
All prescription and over-the-counter medications may be brought aboard an aircraft in a carry-on bag, according to the TSA website. Liquid, gel and aerosol medications do not have to fit in a passenger's single quart-size bag and are exempt from the 3 oz.-rule. Other medications, including pills and inhalers, are permitted through the TSA screening checkpoint. The quantity of all medications you bring through the checkpoint should be reasonable for the length of the flight or travel period.

Packing Tips
Label all medications bottles and containers to help TSA officers during the screening process. Liquid, gel and aerosol medications that do not fit in a quart-sized bag or are larger than 3.4 oz. may not be placed with other liquid items in a carry-on bag. When packing, store all medications in a single, easy-to-access location. These items must must be screened separately from other passenger items.

Screening Process
Declare all liquid, gel and aerosol medications, either orally or in writing, to the TSA agent at the security checkpoint. Prescription medications are typically X-ray screened, though visual inspection is available upon request. Because TSA officers do not handle personal medications, display all medications for the security officer as prompted during a visual inspection. After the visual inspection, medications that are difficult to screen still must pass through the X-ray scanner before you can bring them on the plane.

Additional Considerations
The TSA allows water, juice, liquid feeding supplements and non-prescription items, such as saline solution, eye drops or petroleum jelly. to pass through the checkpoint when they are medically necessary. Pack prescription medications that must stay cold with gel or ice packs that are frozen solid. Packs that have begun to melt must meet the TSA's 3-1-1 regulations.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What exactly is an embargo on checked bags? Never heard of that.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly is an embargo on checked bags? Never heard of that.

Ditto. I see nothing about this on their website.

$25 for 1st checked suitcase, $40 for the second, per traveller of course, on my Delta flight to Mex. No idea what the op is referring to. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Embargo is what airlines call their bag limits. It can be a hard embargo as described here, where you cannot go over-limit even by paying extra, or it can be an embargo that requires additional fees for extra bags. Embargos may also be airport-specifics, as some airports will not allow a bag over 70 lbs, for example, and in this case you couldn't pay to get past it either.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just discovered our Delta reservations reflected an embargo all year on extra checked bag. Can check only one. We have always checked two, one with medical and other supplies for elderly couple. Any suggestions as to how I can get that extra bag to Cancun Royal Islander?

You're flying to Mexico, and you're suggesting Delta only allows one (1) checked bag? Not according to Delta.
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 5.28.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 5.27.17 AM.png

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Embargo is what airlines call their bag limits. It can be a hard embargo as described here, where you cannot go over-limit even by paying extra, or it can be an embargo that requires additional fees for extra bags. Embargos may also be airport-specifics, as some airports will not allow a bag over 70 lbs, for example, and in this case you couldn't pay to get past it either.
I do understand what embargo would mean. What I don't understand is why the OP is seeing this now on their Delta reservations when they didn't in the past. As far as I know, Delta hasn't changed any of their requirements lately?

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP is flying from Key West where Delta has a one bag limit due to weight limitations caused by the runway length. Flights into and out of Key West have this limit; it is the exception.

As suggested larger bag (as long as not oversize) or carry on).

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP is flying from Key West where Delta has a one bag limit due to weight limitations caused by the runway length. Flights into and out of Key West have this limit; it is the exception.

As suggested larger bag (as long as not oversize) or carry on).

EUREKA!!

That must be it!!

;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whew! Good sleuthwork! I was getting worried about the whole Delta embargo thing. I normally fly with carry on only but we will be going on a looong cruise and have been planning on having a couple of checked baggage....

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
....never to be heard from again.....