*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Deeded Timeshare Vs. Perpetual RTU

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by nielenoelani, Jul 21, 2009.

1. nielenoelani

nielenoelani Guest

Hi everyone. I'm considering buying a timeshare off ebay. It would be in Aruba, and I had thought that since there was no expiration, that it was a deeded TS. However, when I called and asked the seller some questions he stated that it's not deeded ("some countries don't allow that" was his reason, however I think that Aruba does), but that it's a perpetual membership that lasts forever and can still be willed to family. Instead of a deed, though, I would just get a membership certificate from the resort if I called and asked for one.

I'm not sure what the difference is, or if one is better than the other. I've tried looking on the internet, but I haven't found a clear answer. Can someone please inform me of the differences between the two? TIA.

2. Larry

Larry TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Most timeshares in Aruba are sold in perpetuity and are not deeded and can be willed to children. I own nine weeks in Aruba and all were sold in that manner.

What you own is share certificates in a coop which holds title to the buildings but the land under the buildings is owned by the government of Aruba and is under a 30-60 year leasehold. If Aruba does not renew the lease they must pay the coop the fair market value of the property which is divided by the shareholders. The only deeded property in Aruba as far as I am aware of is Caribbean Palm village because of it's location of about two miles from the beach. Since all beach front property belongs to Aruba timeshares on the beach have to be sold with leaseholds on the land.

The only properties that are RTU are all of the Divi Resorts which expire at the end of the term and are not owned in perpetuity.

I have no problem with this type of ownership over deeded property.:cheer: :hi:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. nielenoelani

nielenoelani Guest

Thanks for the response Larry. :eek: