*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by AcadianTravellers, Sep 8, 2012.

1. AcadianTravellers

AcadianTravellers Guest

Can someone tell me what it consist of? I know it will affect my credit score, but can they still come after me for something ie. more money?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. FractionalTraveler

FractionalTraveler TUG Member

This is an agreement between an owner and Marriott to give back the unit week(s) in lieu of Marriott foreclosing the property.

An owner may request this but as I understand Marriott doesn't have to agree with it or make an offer to provide it.

An owner can always try to negotiate their exit strategy. Remember, it’s usually in Marriott's best interest to work out a deal with the owner. It costs them some money to process the transaction and in the end it’s reported as an operational loss at the property.

I think the two main areas where they go after this transaction is (1) Delinquent Loan Payments, (2) Delinquent MF.

I suspect we will see some level of strategic dumping of units from owners who belong to the DC points system and have a portfolio of properties enrolled. To some folks it might make sense to dump a week that has high MF and very little return value from assigned DC points. These folks still have other legacy weeks which can be converted to points and used so making a strategic foreclosure may make sense to some owners.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. AcadianTravellers

AcadianTravellers Guest

What are the consequences beside your credit taking a bang?

4. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella
    Are you doing this because of delinquency in maintenance fees or a mortgage for the timeshare? Not sure if a deed in lieu for MFs would hurt your credit score, but a deed in lieu for mortgage delinquency probably has already taken the hit because you would have to be behind on mortgage payments in order to do the deed in lieu.

5. FractionalTraveler

FractionalTraveler TUG Member

In my opinion, the credit hit is way over blown. I have 2 friends who had to give up their units because of extended job loss and they told me their credit was minimally impacted since they wrote letters to be included in their credit files explaining that the real estate foreclosure on their report was a timeshare.

I personally think banks and car dealerships could care less about foreclosed timeshares. Obviously, if there are other negative items on the credit report besides the timeshares, I would expect the credit hit to be much larger and the impact to the consequences more prevalent.

I can't comment on other consequences since I have not been through this personally, but I would encourage others on this BBS who have experienced this to help out any fellow TUGGERS in need of this type of information.

6. AcadianTravellers

AcadianTravellers Guest

We are DC points owners only. We haven't paid since March 2012, purchased in March 2011. They offered us a deed in lieu and yes it already affected my credit score. That don't bother us, because we don't plan on making any big purchases soon.

I went to our bank and they told me that after they would still lend me some money even if our credit was hit by this, but want to know if they can still come after me once the deed in lieu is signed.

Any advice would help!

Thanks.

7. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella
    I am not sure if Florida is a recourse state or not. Though I would think that would only matter if they actually foreclosed. Either way, just be sure to get everything in writing indicating that after the deed in lieu is done that you will have no further obligation and no further monies owed on the loan.

8. AcadianTravellers

AcadianTravellers Guest

Thanks. I was planning on them providing me a letter of that sort prior to signing the deed in lieu. I'm waiting for it in the mail anytime.

9. b2bailey

b2bailey TUG Member

We did a Deed in Lieu on our Oceanwatch Property

Last year a job loss caused us to be unable to make the monthly loan payment. We advised Marriott of the situation and they prepared paperwork, we signed and have not heard anything more from them. We did lose all that we had paid, our down payment and several years of monthly payments. In years to come I believe lenders will be more understanding of things like Deed in Lieu and Short Sales. It is a sign of the times and reflects on credit report better than a foreclosure.