• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[CXLD by poster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
[Since you stated that this TS is no longer available, I am removing your Ad. If you wish to re-post it within the forum parameters, please start a new thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the other post, I realize I probably violated the rule that I cannot ask buyer to pay 2017 MF since I already used the 2017 usage.

So, I will pay the 2017 MF of $550 + the increase. Buyer will get the 2019 usage and responsible for 2018 MF and going forward.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with both of these listings is the failure to disclose when usage begins in the original post. I incorrectly assumed in both cases that usage began in 2017.

I think it would help if you state the manner in which you will compensate for the 2017 fee. I do not believe Marriott takes prepayments. This makes it problematic unless an escrow is used because without an escrow someone will be at risk.

On the issue of paying fees for non-use and having it be a bargain I think it is subjective. Since you are paying for 2017 and also covering the closing and transfer I think it evens out as a bargain. The buyer has to eat the 2018 fee but not pay any closing or transfer. I gave one away recently that started use in 2018 but I was paying all the fees so it is the equivalent to this one. The value is the same but you just are going to have a really tough time finding someone interested in starting in 2019. I'm not trying to be negative but I have learned from experience.

The other listing that was removed was definitely not a bargain. It was a fair deal as a normal redweek type of sale listing but would have the same extreme difficulties starting in 2019. I was interested in it but I thought it started in 2017. I recently bought that same unit for $400 all in but the usage starts in 2017 so free but paying for closing and transfer would have been about the same and I would take another at that price.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Clarification - The OP stated that they have already used the 2017 usage (deposited?) and per forum rules, they cannot ask the new owner to reimburse them for it.

QUESTION: Is the 2018 MF for the 2017 usage, or the 2019 usage?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification - The OP stated that they have already used the 2017 usage (deposited?) and per forum rules, they cannot ask the new owner to reimburse them for it.

Perhaps this is semantics but the issue isn't reimbursement. It is taking on the future maintenance fees without use to go with it. It hasn't been billed yet and cannot be prepaid. The new owner would be billed for it later.

Technically the 2018 fee that will be billed to the new owner goes with the 2017 usage that is already gone. I was saying I thought this could be winked at since so many people think it goes with 2019 usage and the OP is covering closing and transfer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If the OP is keeping the 2017 usage, then they should be responsible for the maintenance fee as well - even if it is split over 2 years. Otherwise, this timeshare is not free, and cannot be posted on this forum.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn't 2018 MF goes to 2019? I was told this way when I purchased mine.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Isn't 2018 MF goes to 2019? I was told this way when I purchased mine.

No, Marriott is different than most other timeshares when it comes to EOY. They bill in the use year and the following year. There are several threads in the Marriott forum discussing this.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, I will pay the 2017 MF and any closing related costs, either sending buyer the 2017 MF or will pay directly to Marriott. Buyer will be responsible for 2018 MF and beyond. I would consider it is a bargain and free timeshare, since the value of this unit definitely worth the term above.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You may consider it a bargain but according to the newly discussed terms, it doesn't qualify. You have to wait until 2018 or late 2017 and if you pay the 2018 MF then you can offer it with 2019 usage. Your other option would be to somehow transfer the 2017 usage to the new owner and then the new owner pays for 2017 and beyond.

Apparently, it has to be 100% free and paying for usage you don't get use of disqualifies the offer.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, got it and fair enough. This unit is no longer available for sale, even it is a very bargain to few.

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may consider it a bargain but according to the newly discussed terms, it doesn't qualify. You have to wait until 2018 or late 2017 and if you pay the 2018 MF then you can offer it with 2019 usage. Your other option would be to somehow transfer the 2017 usage to the new owner and then the new owner pays for 2017 and beyond.

Apparently, it has to be 100% free and paying for usage you don't get use of disqualifies the offer.

The more I thought about this, the more questions I have regarding ppl want to technically give away Marriott timeshares.

I really have no problems to wait until 2018 when 2018 MF is paid. BUT, big but, since Marriott does not allow to prepay like Starwood/Vistana, and if I pay in Jan-18 and it will take 2 months to find buyer and another 2-3 months for closing. Does the new buyer really benefit for this since a good 2019 week needs to be reserved 12-13 months ahead in 2018.

New buyer will lose the opportunity to reserve good week, since buyer will most likely get the Marriott deed in June/July, in addition to setup the new account, etc...

I will just rephrase the term to ask buyer to pay closing related fees which will be very similar to what they pay now to comply. But buyer will lose time/chance for valuable Marriott reservation.

I cannot even imaging if Marriott Palm Springs Platinum/Phoenix platinum/winter week owner needs to do if they have to follow the hard/cold rules to give away. I believe if someone is willing to give these weeks away, plenty will grab in seconds. Now the rules totally against Marriott weeks here, even these are valuable to some.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The MF doesn't have to be ALREADY paid to advertise it - you just have to post in your Ad that you WILL pay it.

An easy way to do that would be to send the title company a bank check or money order made out to Marriott for the estimated MF - to be transferred to the new owner at closing.

On your contract, you and the new owner agree to the amount of the estimated MF.

BTW - complaining about TUG rules will only get your posts deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.