• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Current Costs of Vistana Villages

nanette0269

TUG Member
Reaction score
went to an owner update and just wanted to share some of the current pricing:

2 BD LO; Annual Usage; Key West; Mandatory Unit; 81,000 points = $26k
2 BD; EOY; Bella; Mandatory Unit; 81,000 usage = $18K (current promotion to $15K)

...or thereabouts based on my memory.

Valmiki

Reaction score
that is a lot less than what I paid for a 2 bedroom about 5 years ago

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Way, Way Too Much.

2 BD; EOY; Bella; Mandatory Unit; 81,000 usage = $18K (current promotion to $15K)

Timeshare company full-freight pricing is a joke.

Timeshare real values are hovering right around Zero & yet the timeshare sellers are still offering them for major money. They must attend special training courses to learn how to keep straight faces while quoting those comically absurd prices.

Vistana Villages is an extremely nice timeshare -- 1 of our favorites. We love it. Even so, nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight -- even reduced full-freight compared with 5 years ago -- is worth the money, and that goes for Vistana Villages the same as all the other super-nice timeshares.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing, or the equivalent, or something even better.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Valmiki

Reaction score
Timeshare company full-freight pricing is a joke.

Timeshare real values are hovering right around Zero & yet the timeshare sellers are still offering them for major money. They must attend special training courses to learn how to keep straight faces while quoting those comically absurd prices.

Vistana Villages is an extremely nice timeshare -- 1 of our favorites. We love it. Even so, nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight -- even reduced full-freight compared with 5 years ago -- is worth the money, and that goes for Vistana Villages the same as all the other super-nice timeshares.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing, or the equivalent, or something even better.

What is the approximate value of a resale at Vistana Villages now? I assume the resale will come with the staroptions as this is a mandatory resort?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mandatory Resorts from TUG Starwood FAQ Sticky

"8) What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas"

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63224

nanette0269

TUG Member
Reaction score
definitely too much, just like every other developer....but at least when i hear the current costs i feel better about buying at the bottom of the resale market :) Now, I just need to get a cheap Marriott unit....ah, the challenge!

nanette0269

TUG Member
Reaction score
Val, you could check redweek or even the marketplace here to see the current resale pricing. That being said, few seem to have 81,000 points with them...and this number is great because it gets you into a week anywhere in their network. most resales i'm seeing 67,100, which will never get you into any hawaii property.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
That being said, few seem to have 81,000 points with them...and this number is great because it gets you into a week anywhere in their network. most resales i'm seeing 67,100, which will never get you into any hawaii property.

67,100 will get you into studios in Hawaii. However, I agree that 81,000 SOs is a nicer number to have. :)

Glorian

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Wow-I paid 18k for the 2 bed bella almost 10 years ago

Valmiki

Reaction score
I have 2 at Vistana Villages:
A 2 bedroom at Bella and another 2 Bedroom at Key West --- both are mandatory and carry 81,000 staroptions each.
BTW, I learned on this forum today that mandatory means you can sell with the staroptions --- thanks guys!!!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

I just purchased a resale 2 BD EOY Bella Mandatory unit with 81,000 options for $100 + closing costs.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Is there a typo there ---- $100???? forgive me please but I am new here.

No typo. My total out of pocket cost was $1,000 -- and that included both the 2010 maintenance fee and closing costs (2010 maintenance fee is actually half the total MF, since it's an EOY and my first usage year is 2011)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's What I Was Trying To Tell You.

Is there a typo there ---- $100???? forgive me please but I am new here.
No typo. My total out of pocket cost was $1,000 -- and that included both the 2010 maintenance fee and closing costs (2010 maintenance fee is actually half the total MF, since it's an EOY and my first usage year is 2011)
Full-freight timeshare prices are wildly unrealistic -- always have been, but now more so than ever.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just purchased a resale 2 BD EOY Bella Mandatory unit with 81,000 options for $100 + closing costs.

Fantastic price. Congrats!

Valmiki

Reaction score

Something has to be wrong here --- then I will buy one now!!! I will pay $1,000 and get 81,000 staroptions ---- in fact I will buy about 5 ---- 5 star elite here I come.

Sorry, but I cannot believe this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The reason Bella is selling for such a low price on the resale market is that it has a very high maintenance fee for the number of Staroptions you get.

Westin Kierland Villas (2 bm. L/O) - $1,237.30 - 148,100 Staroptions

Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella (2 bdm. L/O) - $1,534 - 81,000 Staroptions

Compared to WKV - you pay $300 more a year, for half the Staroptions.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Something has to be wrong here --- then I will buy one now!!! I will pay $1,000 and get 81,000 staroptions ---- in fact I will buy about 5 ---- 5 star elite here I come.

believe it...

Resale SOs do not count towards Elite status unless they are requaled with a SVO purchase - and therefore makes it very difficult to justify the expense (for most - not all).

Also - Mandatory also means that you must pay a SVN fee for the 1st and 2nd SVO VOIs (TS week) owned that qualify for SVN.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Unfortunately resale staroptions do not qualify for Elite status unless you match each one with a developer purchase to requalify. And, as DeniseM points out, you will be stuck with a whole bunch of astronomical maintenance fees in addition to the cost of the developer purchases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190422075628

How about now? :)

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
"Mandatory" & "Voluntary" Are Extremely Odd Terms For Timeshares, No ?

believe it...

Resale SOs do not count towards Elite status unless they are requaled with a SVO purchase - and therefore makes it very difficult to justify the expense (for most - not all).

Also - Mandatory also means that you must pay a SVN fee for the 1st and 2nd SVO VOIs (TS week) owned that qualify for SVN.
So what ?

Strip away the options & the status & the mandatory & voluntary features, etc., & you still have an outstanding stand-alone timeshare unit to use or rent out irrespective of any add-on SVN folderol, no ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So let's say that you bought 4 of these resale, and 4 more from the developer to reach 5 Star Elite. (That would be a terrible deal, but just for an example.)

Let's say you got 4 for $1,000 each - $4,000

And bought 4 more from the developer for $29,900 each = $119,600

So your upfront cost would be $123,600

And your maintenance fee would be $12,272 a year! :eek:

How's it look now? ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So what ?

Strip away the options & the status & the mandatory & voluntary features, etc., & you still have an outstanding stand-alone timeshare unit to use or rent out irrespective of any add-on SVN folderol, no ?

Alan - not sure what you are getting at (?) - I was stating the aspects of owning V and M SVO VOIs - and letting the poster know the downside of buying from SVO (which you continually rail against). However, there is a big difference in these types of resorts (SVO M &V) - resale value of these is a good barometer of their worth. And just trying to relay this to the newbie Tugger...

We own almost all M resorts - resale (except an EOY WPORV) which we exclusively stay at, except for WKV (a great resort). 5 years in a row now for our WKORV OF and WSJ (2-weeks). We rent or SVN exchange WKV...

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
We got an EOY Bella 67,100 SO for free on ebay-we only had to pay 2010 MF and closing costs

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So what ?

Alan - we aren't promoting using this TS to join the SVN. A newbie specifically asked about doing that, and we are explaining why it's not a good idea.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We Want The Money. You Have The Money. You Give The Money To Us.

Alan - not sure what you are getting at (?) - I was stating the aspects of owning V and M SVO VOIs - and letting the poster know the downside of buying from SVO (which you continually rail against).
It's not just SVO. I rail against all the extra-cost systems designed to separate timeshare buyers from their cash. For example, don't get me started on DRI.

I advocate buying timeshares resale & I recommend buying them for use as-is & where-is over buying primarily with a view toward trading for some other timeshare.

However that may be, I know even less about SVO & SVN than I do about other matters about which I am mainly in the dark. About the only proprietary timeshare-exchange system I'm semi-familiar with that I would trust is resale Wyndham points.

Then again, maybe SVO & SVN are the greatest thing since pop-top pepsi & I'm just to dense to figure them out. (Wouldn't be the 1st time.)