*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Cruising TUGgers--It's that time again! [merge]

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by mas, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mas

mas TUG Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard!

2. chriskre

chriskre TUG Member

Thanks. Very excited to be going with ya'll. :wave:

3. grlen

grlen Guest

LOVED our Celeb cruise on the Eclipse to the Baltics in June. Looking at doing Canada/NE fall '11 and Western Med (itinerary that Tuggers had on NCL) in spring '12 on Celebrity.

4. Pat H

Pat H TUG Member

Just read some interesting info on FT.

AA - Qantas will no longer fly SFO-SYD. The flights will be from Dallas instead.
    Change begins in May.

UA - UA is starting Houston to Auckland flights but I couldn't figure out if they will be UA or CO flights or when they will start.

Anyone planning on trying for FF tickets? If so, which airlines and dates? Maybe we can coordinate so we don't compete against each other.

5. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

Is anyone planning on staying in Australia after the cruise? I have a week on hold with SFX for check in on Feb 4 at Pacific Palms which is north of Sydney. It looks like it might be a good location for doing some touring. I was thinking of doing this and then spending 2 or 3 nights in Sydney before flying home. Do any of our friends from Australia know anything about the resort? It gets mixed reviews but more good than bad.

Lynn

6. Pat H

Pat H TUG Member

We plan to spend 2-3 days in Sydney after the cruise.

7. chubby

chubby Guest

8. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

Thanks chubby

I did check out their website and it looks okay but I was wondering if anyone has stayed there. It is so far to go that I thought a timeshare week plus 2 or 3 nights in Sydney would be great.

Lynn

9. flexible

flexible TUG Member

Lynn,
    Great meeting you and your husband tonight. We are considering the NZ->Sydney cruise because we plan to be in Asia/Australia next season. I'll check the Yahoo site and email Sandy. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  10. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I also booked a week near Melbourne via DAE. I had a week that was going to expire, so it was a book it or lose it. So I figured someone might use it, even if I don't.

With DAE you have to book it before it expires, not travel. So book something I did.

Not sure of my schedule by then, so I may not be able to use it.

11. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    I really am getting into the cruise mode as I was able to successfully book my FF tickets to Auckland

My cabin mate Maria and I are booked in Sydney for a few days after the cruise - any suggestions for a good location/hotel in Auckland???

The Westin looks very nice but is almost double the cost of other hotels - so not sure if it is worth the costs....really using it to shower/sleep not for the hotel amenities.
    Location/ease of getting around to tour is what I am interested in....does anyone know if the cruise company suggests certain hotels?

I am arriving on Friday 1/20 around noon but other friends seem to be coming Saturday 1/21 early morning....

12. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Pat,

I will ask my dear friends who live in Auckland on a BOAT! I will spend a couple of days on their boat :D

13. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

Pat

I booked a 1 bedroom apartment at Celestion Waldorf Apartments Hotel for 3 nights before the cruise and the total cost is $597.00 NZD. It is rated #2 on tripadvisor. I booked directly on their website and I have since found out from someone who used to live in New Zealand that their other property Stadium Waldorf is also very nice and a little closer to the city centre. I may check that out as well. We are probably going to use FF miles to fly to LAX and book a flight out of there as it is cheaper than flying out of Calgary.

Lynn

14. Pat H

Pat H TUG Member

With all the time changes, etc, how do I figure out how many hours it's really taking to get from here to there? Leave the East coast at 10:00 AM on 1/19and arrive in Auckland on 1/21 at 8:30 PM. How do folks on medication figure out when to take their meds?

I was able to get FF seats on UA but we have to connect in SYD on the way over which adds several hours to the trip. On the way back it's so much easier.

How many days pre/post cruise are others staying? We are arriving late on the 21st in AKL and leaving mid-afternoon on 2/6 from SYD. Wondering if I should add another day on either/both ends?

15. Pat H

Pat H TUG Member

Need a Roommate

My roommates have had to cancel. In order for me to still go on the cruise, I need someone to share my cabin. Anyone interested?

16. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

Pat that's too bad. Hopefully you will find someone else to go with you. We have all our plans finalized now and our flights booked.

Lynn

17. Pat H

Pat H TUG Member

I also have FF seats booked. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone else to go so far. :(

18. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Pat, I have an inexpensive (plastic) watch that shows the date/time at home. Mine also has traditional hands that are easily set to local time, but these might be too bulky or unstylish for a woman to feel comfortable with. You could just keep one of these cheap digital watches with your meds to keep on schedule.

Good luck on finding a roomie. The cruise will be more fun with you than without.

We've just started looking at flights/stays, and wish we had a bunch of FF miles to burn or had booked waaay earlier. Oh well.

Jim Ricks

19. Gypsie

Gypsie TUG Member

Cruise

I would love to go! Please let me know if you are still looking for a roommate.

20. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Any New Cruises planned?

Hi Tuggers,
    I was reading this post and dates back a couple of years. Are there going to be any new tug cruises for 2011 and 2012.

21. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

silentg

If you check page 5 of this thread you will see all the info on upcoming cruises. It has been quiet here for awhile. Anyone thinking about tours yet? We had a really active roll call for our Med cruise last Sept and did all private tours with people from the roll call which worked out great. Prices were much better than booking through the cruise line.

Lynn

22. Elli

Elli TUG Member

Lynn, we just came back from a Baltic Cruise with Royal Caribb. Had a really active roll call and did St. Petersburg on a private tour. Worked out great. I love CruiseCritic. Elli

23. Kathy Q

Kathy Q TUG Member

Hi,

This is the next cruise planned:

AU/NZ Jan 23, 2012, Diamond Princess

Auckland, New Zealand 23JAN12 MON DEPART 6:00PM
    24JAN12 TUE ARRIVE 5:30AM DEPART 4:30PM Tauranga (for Rotorua), NZ
    25JAN12 WED At Sea
    26JAN12 THU ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 6:00PM Christchurch, NZ
    27JAN12 FRI ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 6:00PM Dunedin (Port Chalmers), NZ
    28JAN12 SAT ARRIVE 9:00AM DEPART 7:00PM Fiordland Natl Park Cruising
    29JAN12 SUN At Sea
    30JAN12 MON At Sea
    31JAN12 TUE ARRIVE 8:00AM DEPART 6:00PM Hobart, Tasmania
    01FEB12 WED At Sea
    02FEB12 THU ARRIVE 7:00AM DEPART 5:00PM Melbourne, Australia
    03FEB12 FRI At Sea
    04FEB12 SAT ARRIVE 7:00AM Sydney, Australia

If you'd like more details, send me a PM with your email address and I'll invite you to the Cruising TUGgers web site where the most current information is kept.

Kathy Q

24. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    Thanks Lynn,
    I am seeing the 1BRs+den/study, sleep 3 for as low as $124 per night and the 2BR for $143 using the Kayak search feature....if I book thru Orbitz they guarantee to refund the difference if the price goes lower.
    I do like the idea of having a kitchen for in-room breakfast....this property just opened in May 2010.
    Kayak says they have an airport shuttle but I could not find this on the website, do you know if they do have one?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  25. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I booked a week in Austraila, post cruise, Nepean Country Club, via DAE. Check in is Feb 4. Unit is a 2 BR, sleeps 6 unit, in the Victoria area.

Any one interested in sharing it, and/or taking it, on the chance that I will not be able to make the trip. My big project is growing (by years), and I don't know if I can get away for the original duration I had planned on being away. Which could jeopardize my taking the cruise with you all. Hate it when work get in the way of life.

In any case it would be a gift of use of a week from your friendly TUG group travel agent. It was a DAE week that was expiring.

Contact me if you have any interest.

http://www.nepeancountryclub.com.au

http://www.daelive.com/articles/resortprofiles.aspx?EndpointID=AUS&ResortID=NEPC