• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Credit Pool and Regular Use Year Points

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
If I have 2017 points credit pooled till 9/30/2019 and I make 2018 reservation, will it use pool point or regular use year points?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have 2017 points credit pooled till 9/30/2019 and I make 2018 reservation, will it use pool point or regular use year points?

I believe it would use the points that expire first, so the 2018 regular use year points.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I believe it would use the points that expire first, so the 2018 regular use year points.

That's what is supposed to happen...

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Yeah...That's been discussed here...a lot. The nutshell version is Wyndham's system cannot be trusted. Before you make a reservation, make note of how many points you have in credit pool(and the expiration date) and how many in your use year.

If you see something wrong, you would have to call a VC to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Yeah...That's been discussed here...a lot. The nutshell version is Wyndham's system cannot be trusted. Before you make a reservation, make note of how many points you have in credit pool(and the expiration date) and how many in your use year.

If you see something wrong, you would have to call a VC

And you don't REALLY know it's not tracking correctly until you need to cancel the reservation. You need to watch at that point to see that the points go back to the bucket they came from.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Follow on questions: In Dec., 2016, I pooled my 2017 & 2018 pts (total of 217K) and they expire Dec. 2019. If I pool my 2019 pts (2 contracts) will those 294K pts go into my current pool or will they start a new pool with expiration in Feb. 2010?

My current goal is to book a 266K wk. on Kauai for Nov. 2017 (or maybe Jan., 2018). I tried to do this today and the system said I didn't have enough pts. Will pooling my 2019 pts fix this problem?

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow on questions: In Dec., 2016, I pooled my 2017 & 2018 pts (total of 217K) and they expire Dec. 2019. If I pool my 2019 pts (2 contracts) will those 294K pts go into my current pool or will they start a new pool with expiration in Feb. 2010?

My current goal is to book a 266K wk. on Kauai for Nov. 2017 (or maybe Jan., 2018). I tried to do this today and the system said I didn't have enough pts. Will pooling my 2019 pts fix this problem?

There will be a 2nd pool with a Feb 2020 expiration. You can use these pooled credits to make the booking you mention.

You may want to consider only pooling enough from 2019 to make your booking. This allows you until Dec 2018 to pool the rest if you later desire (and gain almost two more years of life you would otherwise forego).

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There will be a 2nd pool with a Feb 2020 expiration. You can use these pooled credits to make the booking you mention.

You may want to consider only pooling enough from 2019 to make your booking. This allows you until Dec 2018 to pool the rest if you later desire (and gain almost two more years of life you would otherwise forego).

Good point. So maybe pool only 49K from my 2019 stash to get up to 266K (217K+49K)?

How come my recently created pool (Dec 2016) says "Travel From Jan-1-19" This would indicate to me that they couldn't be used until 1-1-19. Semantics?

2019 Total
Travel From Expiration Points Description/Available HK

Jan 1, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 Credit Pool 217,000 217
Jan 1, 2019 Dec 31, 2019 Regular 294,000 294

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point. So maybe pool only 49K from my 2019 stash to get up to 266K (217K+49K)?

How come my recently created pool (Dec 2016) says "Travel From Jan-1-19" This would indicate to me that they couldn't be used until 1-1-19. Semantics?

2019 Total
Travel From Expiration Points Description/Available HK

Jan 1, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 Credit Pool 217,000 217
Jan 1, 2019 Dec 31, 2019 Regular 294,000 294

That is just a quirk in the system, supposedly fixed in the new rollout later this year.

Your pool credits are still good from today onward.

lcml11

Reaction score
That is just a quirk in the system, supposedly fixed in the new rollout later this year.

Your pool credits are still good from today onward.

If you want to confirm what is being said in this post, by the way it is true, create a new account with the Wyndham preview site. Then go to the points section. It will show your regular year points and credit pool points with much better accuracy.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is to make a reservation for the same amount of points sometime within the next 90 days and rent the 49k point balance. Then cancel the reservation. The rented (then cancelled) points should be good for the rest of 2017.

You will have to pay $8*49k/1000k = $392 for those rented points. However, if one assumes your MF are the "average" of $6/1k points, and then add in the $39 pool fee, you will spend roughly $333 to pool 49k. So you pay roughly $60, but you don't touch your 2019 points, and can conceivably pool those later on so you don't use up their life too quickly.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks all the good answers. Now, I've heard some people say they've "borrowed" pts to make a rez. How does one "borrow" pts? Or is this the same as pooling?

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all the good answers. Now, I've heard some people they've "borrowed" pts to make a rez. How does one "borrow" pts? Or is this the same as pooling?
Borrowing points allows you the opportunity to use all or a portion of your next Use Year of points in the event that you do not have enough points available to make a reservation.

You can only borrow points from a future use year to make a reservation within the next 90 days with the following caveats:
  • In order to borrow points, you will need to use all of your current Use Year points first.
  • You may borrow only Regular Use Year Points from your next Use Year.
    • So for a 2017 reservation, you may only borrow from your 2018 Use Year.
This used to be a poor-man's pool method since you could cancel the booking and get the borrowed points back in the year of the reservation. With the new cancellation policy, the borrowed points will go back to the Use Year from which they came, and thus, would be no help to you in booking your 2017 vacation.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Borrowing points allows you the opportunity to use all or a portion of your next Use Year of points in the event that you do not have enough points available to make a reservation.

You can only borrow points from a future use year to make a reservation within the next 90 days with the following caveats:
  • In order to borrow points, you will need to use all of your current Use Year points first.
  • You may borrow only Regular Use Year Points from your next Use Year.
    • So for a 2017 reservation, you may only borrow from your 2018 Use Year.
This used to be a poor-man's pool method since you could cancel the booking and get the borrowed points back in the year of the reservation. With the new cancellation policy, the borrowed points will go back to the Use Year from which they came, and thus, would be no help to you in booking your 2017 vacation.

Thanks, Chris. Got it now.